An interesting metric for beginners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Syndras Balls

04-03-2013

My friend recently started playing LoL. This is his first real competitive game, and he wants to get better. He actually seems to be pretty serious about it, so I decided to help him out. I've been giving him various exercises to practice (ping everyone's mias, ping whenever someone falls below 50% hp, etc.) but there's one I thought of that really everyone can benefit from.

Basically, at the beginning of the game move your scoreboard so you can't see anyone's "scores" (lasthits, kills, deaths, assists) but you can still see their items. This by itself is actually a great tool, as it gets you to focus on the actual objective (kill da base) instead of the things that a lot of beginners, and some veterans, get fixated on.

But then you have nothing to brag about when you lose, so I thought of a much better indicator of how well he was doing for him to focus on after the game: (gold gained) / (time spent dead). Henceforth, this is the only "ratio" he's allowed to brag about. (well, that and win/loss obviously).

The purpose of this thread was not just to share; it was also to learn. So, what are some other exercises and meaningful numbers I can tell my friend to focus on improving?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ByakuyaYO

04-03-2013

The biggest pitfall veteran and noob players alike fall into is mob mentality. What I mean is, following your team to death. I still do it, after 4000 matches I still make this mistake.

Don't follow your team when they make a stupid mistake.

For example, you are at bot playing support. Your carry gets attacked by the enemy jungle AND the adc and support because they weren't paying enough attention or playing safe enough. As the support, you want to keep them alive to go in. But in most cases, your carry is already dead because they get caught out. Don't die because your team mate made a mistake.

Honestly, you can be an amazing player and still get killed by your own team. If you see a teammate going into the enemy jungle without wards- follow them, but don't follow closely. Stay nearby, but not near enough to get caught if your teammate gets jumped by a few people.

I know this advise isn't very nice, but if you want to win your game for your team, dont let them screw you over because of their mistakes.

http://riotoflegends.blogspot.co.uk/