Maw of Malmortius and Locket of the Iron Solari

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aegis Of Demacia

04-03-2013

Kinda new-ish player here. I tried out the game a long time ago and never stuck with me but I gave it another shot and for whatever reason I find it more enjoyable now.

Anyway back to the topic at hand will the shields stack with each other? Like if I'm low and the shield on Maw activates then I activate my locket will the shields stack or will they overwrite each other?

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

The black shield shield on Maw of Mortimus activates when you drop bellow a certain health,
while the shield on Locket prevents health damage

I am not sure which shield gets priority, but they can't stack since they are different kinds of shields.
Black shields only prevents magic damage, while white shields prevent any kind of damage.

I am guessing the shield on Maw of Mortimus will only be used AFTER the shield on Locket ran out
(either by enough damage or time)

You will still have both shields activated, but Aegis shield must run out before the other one is actually used (and it will probably run out before it)

So, it is actually a waste to use the Locket after Maw have activated. Either use it before you drop low enough, or after the black shield ran out (which can be very dangerous if you don't time it right)

Also, as a foot note, white shields fully stack with themselves for their duration.

Aegis Of Demacia

04-03-2013

I see so would it be worth it instead to get a Runic Bulwark for the Magic Resistance? The reason I'm asking is before I currently main Garen and I've been looking into this guide (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...it-s3-v2-99504) and I've been doing fairly well with it but I can't decide which to get for Magic Resistance.

On another note for Garen would you recommend Youmuu's Ghostblade or Phantom Dancer (assuming I don't get both of course.)

The information is appreciated.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis Of Demacia View Post
I see so would it be worth it instead to get a Runic Bulwark for the Magic Resistance? The reason I'm asking is before I currently main Garen and I've been looking into this guide (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...it-s3-v2-99504) and I've been doing fairly well with it but I can't decide which to get for Magic Resistance.

On another note for Garen would you recommend Youmuu's Ghostblade or Phantom Dancer (assuming I don't get both of course.)

The information is appreciated.

I'd recommend Black Cleaver actually, The armor shreds applies to the spin up to 6 times.

As for magic resist... You need to focus on what you and your team needs.

If the enemy have a really fed AP Carry, getting the bulkwark is good.
If you just want some resist, he Maw of Mortimus is better.

Although, on Garen, getting more health is always a better idea, so items that gives both health and MR are good (Spirit Visage and Runic Bulkwark mainly)

I think Locket of Iron Solari isn't good for Garen, its stats are too low, the gold you waste to get the shield would be better placed on building warmogs or sunfire.

(Phantom Dancer is bad on Garen, if you want Crits, get an Atmas impaler instead)

Aegis Of Demacia

04-03-2013

I see. Thanks. I was kinda hoping to receive some insight from other players too though.

Burbinator

04-03-2013

Bulwark and locket are items best gotten by supports or junglers. I would also recommend black cleaver because your spin will apply the stacks very quickly to the entire team, and every stat on that item is good for you. if you need mr, just go for maw. the shields indeed will stack, ofc maw only taking magic damage. I am fairly certain maw's shield is depleted first but not entirely sure. Neither ghostblade or phantom dancer are good for garen but if I had to pick, I would take ghost blade most likely.

Delete Teemo

04-03-2013

Short answer: yes, more than one sheild can be on you at the same time.

Aegis Of Demacia

04-04-2013

Thanks guys. How's this for a "standard build" (I understand that sometimes you'll have to change your build depending on the enemy team but it's just what I'm aiming for so to speak.)

1) Mercury Treads (Tenacity)
2) Black Cleaver (Since you guys said the Armor Shred works on Judgement)
3) Randuin's Omen (I really like the passive and active slow more than Warmog's. Also helps me duel those guys with fast attack speed since they can't hit and run me so hard)
4) Infinity Edge (Damage and Criticals)
5) Maw of Malmortus (Magic Resist and more Attack the lower my HP)
6) Atma's Impaler (Armor, Criticals and more Damage)

Crs Sanvaer

Master Recruiter

04-04-2013

It's totally possible. You can just wait for Maw to proc, and then activate the Locket on top of that.

Kinvaras666

04-04-2013

It sounds ok, but, don't lock yourself on the whole build.

You need to get a few items (one or two) that are the cores
Core items are ones you will get always, and then you get the other items beased on what the game needs.

Garen is more tank oriented than damage oriented
(His passive and his W reforces this point)

Doesn't means you should buy only tanky items, but you should always buy more tanky than damage.

I'd say that a good core for Garen is Black Cleaver + Sunfire Cape
(the burn on it makes you deal more damage, specially since with Garen you are always close to the enemy)

All the other items you mentioned are good as well, but not together.

I'd recommend Black Cleaver + 1 damage item
and Sunfire Cape + 2 tanky items
And boots. (You get the basic boots and upgrade to merc or tabi depending on who you are lanning against)

Also, I think infinity Edge is better as a finishing item,
and Atmas is best built after you have 2 health items.