Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips on Carrying a Bad Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ten Inch Rooster

Recruiter

04-03-2013

We've all had them, games where you're the only or maybe 1 or 2 competent people on your team. You're trying your hardest to carry the game but being proactive with objectives, pushing lanes, staying out of the fed enemy team's way. But many times it just all feels for naught and the game just seems to be crashing down around you. I hear though that any good game though can be carried by a single person. Sometimes I just don't see it though.

There are just some things that go on in games though that I'm just clueless on how to recover from. So I'm looking for general tips you guys who are successful at solo carrying.

My biggest pet peeve in the game (far more than feeding) is when you're behind in the game for whatever reason or all your lanes have been pushed up against you and people group up and go farm jungle camps instead of normalizing or re-balancing the field. Nobody EVER responds when you chastise them for doing this, its like the most blatent "I'm a moron" moment that people don't realize until called on it and then I think they just feel too stupid to respond. During this you're basically the one man army trying to get the map back under control.

ChiIceTea

04-03-2013

First tip is to never talk negatively and chastise someone because 80% of the time they will respond back negatively.

other than that, you need to clearly state what you want your objectives to be without offending anyone.

stubborn people will be stubborn and sometimes you have to play the game around them. but if you can get 2-3 of the other people listening to you, you can all group up with that stubborn player and try to carry and get into those group fights.

MXSkuld

04-03-2013

1st thing to do is to never give up even with a bad team. Think of it as a handicap to see how long you can survive with a bad team or if you could win the game. I recently had a game where 3 people went afk when a beginner got killed(they thought he was feeding) and it was just me and him and we ended up winning the game.

So never give up and think positive about the situation your in when it comes to bad game/team. The experience you learn from it will help you in future matches because you already familiar with the situation so you would already know what you should be doing.

Hope this helps.

Ten Inch Rooster

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Quote:
ChiIceTea:
First tip is to never talk negatively and chastise someone because 80% of the time they will respond back negatively.

other than that, you need to clearly state what you want your objectives to be without offending anyone.

stubborn people will be stubborn and sometimes you have to play the game around them. but if you can get 2-3 of the other people listening to you, you can all group up with that stubborn player and try to carry and get into those group fights.

I find though that idiocy begets idiocy in the team environment. Its like its infectious though. If teammates rally behind a poor players they just move in a group think (like 3 people watching the 4th take red camp mid-game). Hell I had a game last night where we had 3 people on the team finish the game at over 15 deaths a piece who submitted reports on me (jungler) and the other competent person (mid) because "the fact that you (us) have under 5 deaths means we're not doing anything". We went down to gank for bot once and they kept on farming, we asked why and they just replied, "we're busy dude". Its just games like this tend to happen a lot and I just feel at such a loss on what to do. I get sympathy /all from the other team a good bit in my games. I'm just getting frustrated is all and would love to know how to make more of an impact. It feels like 2v8 or even sometimes 1v9.

TehomCD

04-03-2013

A lot of times your best option is just to try to ward up, stall while your carries catch up in farm, and try to catch the enemy team making a big mistake - a turret dive that you're in position to countergank on, catching one of their carries overextended, whatever. In many cases, trying to make plays when you're too far behind is just a bad idea, especially if you can't rely on your team to follow up on you; I feel at low bronze, you can probably safely rely on the enemy team to make massive blunders and just capitalize on them.

You won't win every game. I have a lot of friends who are low bronze, literally 1k+ Elo below me, and I'll win only about half the normals we play together. I just find when playing with people who are far worse than me, it's usually the best path just to try to catch people making huge blunders and punish them - extremely risky invades or objectives, bad tower dives, etc. If I can get kills for free, of course I'll do it, but I'm very risk averse: usually if I die, it means the game is probably over, since I'll have far more gold than anyone else on the team. If you're trying to carry people who are objectively worse than you by a massive degree, you simply can't let yourself die unless you're ensuring some incredibly lopsided exchange for your team, like a 3 for 1 trade that results in objectives.

I should mention I also put a very high priority on farming since I can't necessarily rely on people committing to fights that we'd win handily when I arrive; I'm reluctant to gank sidelanes unless I'm very confident in my ability to get a kill with minimal help, and am perfectly content to take a tower during some skirmish elsewhere on the map rather than waste time moving when I can get an objective and farm.

Not all of this is relevant to you, though. Unless you're better than people by an absolutely staggering degree, it's better to let people play what they're good at to ensure they won't massively underperform and feed their lanes. I know some people disagree with that, but I feel unless you're like 500+ Elo above your current rating that it's a losing strategy to play something you're slightly better on while forcing someone onto a role that they have absolutely no idea how to play.

kikirinki

04-03-2013

every time I play I always get killed.And my team starts loosing.

Ten Inch Rooster

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Quote:
TehomCD:
A lot of times your best option is just to try to ward up, stall while your carries catch up in farm, and try to catch the enemy team making a big mistake - a turret dive that you're in position to countergank on, catching one of their carries overextended, whatever. In many cases, trying to make plays when you're too far behind is just a bad idea, especially if you can't rely on your team to follow up on you; I feel at low bronze, you can probably safely rely on the enemy team to make massive blunders and just capitalize on them.

You won't win every game. I have a lot of friends who are low bronze, literally 1k+ Elo below me, and I'll win only about half the normals we play together. I just find when playing with people who are far worse than me, it's usually the best path just to try to catch people making huge blunders and punish them - extremely risky invades or objectives, bad tower dives, etc. If I can get kills for free, of course I'll do it, but I'm very risk averse: usually if I die, it means the game is probably over, since I'll have far more gold than anyone else on the team. If you're trying to carry people who are objectively worse than you by a massive degree, you simply can't let yourself die unless you're ensuring some incredibly lopsided exchange for your team, like a 3 for 1 trade that results in objectives.

I should mention I also put a very high priority on farming since I can't necessarily rely on people committing to fights that we'd win handily when I arrive; I'm reluctant to gank sidelanes unless I'm very confident in my ability to get a kill with minimal help, and am perfectly content to take a tower during some skirmish elsewhere on the map rather than waste time moving when I can get an objective and farm.

Not all of this is relevant to you, though. Unless you're better than people by an absolutely staggering degree, it's better to let people play what they're good at to ensure they won't massively underperform and feed their lanes. I know some people disagree with that, but I feel unless you're like 500+ Elo above your current rating that it's a losing strategy to play something you're slightly better on while forcing someone onto a role that they have absolutely no idea how to play.

I actually don't play ranked at all anymore. It pissed me off beyond all belief. In 7/10 of my placement games I had either hard core trolls or mass afk's from the start. If you search my name in the forum search you'll see the big post back when I reported in what was happening game by game. I then sort of accepted my fate and was like "people carry themselves out of here, I should be ok" but in the end the toxicity of the people in that level of bronze just overwhelmed me. My last qualifier I actually had someone announce after the game started "for those of you in a qualifying match, today is not your day!!!" before he proceeded to ruin the game for everyone for the sport of it. So I've gone back to playing regular draft simply because sure I can have idiots in my game but I'm not going to let their influence continue to reflect in my league standing.

kikirinki

04-03-2013

Deystroy everything that gets in your way(minions,turrets,enemy champions,theinhibitor,and the nexus.ETC).The trick is get a good champion.Good health,good spells,good dificullty,and good attack.Now stay with your teammates(if your a bad player stay with the best).Oh and never act negatectcvy or youl get it back.

Follow these and youl win.

sincerly,
Kian

P.S. I MEAN IT.P.S.P.S. I REALY MEAN IT P.S.P.S.P.S.I REALY REALY MEAN IT.