[Teaching Event] Training Fields on 13 Apr 2013

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

(This event is run by LoL University.)

Welcome to the Training Fields. This is a teaching event aimed at helping newer players (henceforth "students"), even those just starting out, to learn the game in a fun and casual environment with more experienced players (henceforth "mentors") guiding them. Through this, students can receive directed, specific advice on all areas of the game.

The event will take place on the evening of 13th April at 7pm CST. That's 5pm PST, 6pm MST, and 8pm EST. (International summoners: we're talking about 12am GMT.) Sign ups are open to all summoners. A second session may be run later in the day (9pm CST), again only if there is sufficient demand and available mentors.

We do not technically require voice chat, but teams have the option to use it for communication during the game, and the mass debriefing is also conducted there. A microphone is not compulsory, but it is highly recommended that you download the program so you can at least listen. We're currently using reddit mumble because our vent server is down.

Format:
The game will be played in custom 5v5 (Summoner's Rift). There will be 1 mentor and 4 students on each team, with more mentors present in spectator mode. Please join the Training Fields chat room 15 minutes before the event starts; slots will be filled from the signup list according to who is in the chat room at the time, with priority given to those below level 30 at the time of signing up.

During the game, the mentor on your team will be available to answer questions and offer advice. In addition, he will also pass on helpful tips from the spectating mentors, who can see things that he misses.

After the game, both in-game and spectating mentors will gather for a team debriefing, where students have the opportunity to talk to the mentors spectating them, ask questions, and receive advice in a much more detailed and interactive fashion than is possible in-game.

To sign up:
Interested mentors please contact Kirielis, that's me, or aviraaaa from Summoner's Academy. If you are not already a mentor in our (LoL U's) system, kindly fill out an application and get in touch with Jesture or Ubermensche for evaluation.
Students please post in this thread or the associated thread on the LoL U forums with the appropriate information. Remember to be in the Training Fields chat room 15 minutes before the event begins. If you're afraid you might forget, our main chat room (LoL University) is always populated - if not always full of chatter - and reminders of the event will be posted there; feel free to join us.

Example application for students:

Quote:
Name: Kirielis
Level: 30
Champions and/or Roles you would like to learn:
Xerath mid (you may give more details if you wish)
What I like playing/About me:
I've been playing LoL for over a year now, and my favourite champions are the ones who can get into people's faces and mess up their day with tons of CC. Still, I reckon I should get to know other styles better. That's why I'm here.
Other useful links:
LoL University thread on the main forums
How to join the chat room (replace "Summoner's Academy" in the video with "Training Fields")

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2013

bump for visibility

Burbinator

04-06-2013

This should be very instructive even for players who have just hit level 30! We will have high rated gold/platinum players as mentors as well, and also it's just a different experience playing as a coordinated team of 5 compared to standard solo queue play.

aviraaaa

04-07-2013

Bump for the community!

Kirielis

04-08-2013

bump - I know we don't get a lot of signups until just a couple days before the fact usually, but here's to visibility

Kirielis

04-10-2013

This Saturday, folks. I've gotten confirmation from quite a few mentors, some of whom are plat rated or better, and all of whom have extensive experience in teaching at all levels that they can, and who love it.

Kirielis

04-11-2013

Pleased to announce that our plat 1 head evaluator is going to be there. We're planning something new and interesting for you guys, too.

Kirielis

04-12-2013

less than 24 hours to go, I'm going to do my best to keep this on the front page of this forum.

We do have signups on our local forum thread, but why they aren't here is beyond me. Still, if you just show up on the day itself, there should be a place for you. We hope.

Kirielis

04-13-2013

we're starting in an hour guys

EvoCoot

04-13-2013

Is your vent server only up for events? Tried earlier just to test and could not connect. Might be my side, just installed vent again after a long time without...