Script for installing LoL in Ubuntu 10.10 (Wine)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myrnodin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2010

Hey guys. Im a Linux user, and LoL Summoner. I used to play long ago in Windows, but when i switched to Linux i had to quit, because playing in wine was either too glichy or too complicated. Recently however, i decided to give it a try again in Linux, and i got LoL to work almost as good as in Windows. (few minor glitches remain).

To do it i had to learn a lot, and read a lot of posts and ask a lot of questions, which made me feel just like a leech, therefore, i decided to give something back, and made this script, based in the tutorial found in this post:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...t=5204&page=11

And the many coments on these treads:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ead.php?t=5204
http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ead.php?t=2384

I know there are many more out there, and i thank you all.

The info on all these posts is quite scattered, and in some cases outdated. Therefore after i managed to install LoL i decided to make this script.

The script as txt (since the website wont accept .sh) is attached to this post, but can also be found here:

http://pastebin.com/1zHVZpsf

If ANYONE wants to share something, or add something or optimize something, you are free to do so, just let us know if you do, perhaps it can help somebody else. Ill try to keep the script up to date. Probably it needs help SPECIALLY with dependencies needed to build wine. If you are asked for something extra aside from what is installed with the script, please leave a post here so I/We can add it.

This scripts installs wine version 1.3.6 (lastest development version to the date 6/11/2004).

I run the game emulating a virtual desktop, i got a Nvidia Geforce 6200 and usually run at about 30 - 40 FPS, here I found very few glitches with the game, most of them unimportant:

- When i die, the screen goes black, but death recap works. (see Screen)

- The "Play" button in the updater is invisible. (But its there, just click on it)

- Very few spells dont appear correctly; one from Ryze and one from Lux.

- The hero selection screen lags a bit, but not much.

Aside from that, the game works perfectly, i tested both mid-low and high-end graphics settings, and they work correctly.

Again i invite you guys to contribute to this script, make it bigger, polish it, perhaps add configuration for other distros too and maybe someday this will get a sticky *wink* *wink* making life (at least) for Ubuntu users easier. Hope its useful to you guys, and i hope to get some feedback on it. Feel free to poke me if you got questions.

See ya later guys, best of luck to you all.

P.S. The script only compiles, installs, and gets wine ready for LoL INSTALLER, the downloader doesnt work, therefore you must get it downloaded somewhere else. (i.e. Ask a friend to give it to you / Use a virtual machine emulator, and setup windows in it, like VirtualBox [i did this second one, and use it to buy heroes too])

P.S.2. Just as a reminder: ALWAYS read scripts before executing them, this one I made has a lot of explanation in itself, so its kinda easy to understand what its doing and why.

P.S.3. If something fails (namely building wine because of the dependencies) there is no need to run the whole script again, just comment or delete everything before, once you have installed everything you were missing.

Edit: Fixed a few typos in the pastebin copy.

IS1c3db743233aba

11-10-2010

I just want to express my gratitude for your hard work and persistence. It worked like a charm, got it up and running in 15 minutes. Thanks again for the great work. I hope you don't mind that I posted a few links to your thread (all credits go to you ofcourse) in various forums so more people could enjoy the game.

Myrnodin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Wow, Ty man im really glad it worked for you. I hope to get more feedback on it.

Best of luck.

xYOMAMAx

11-11-2010

nice, i dont even use linux and i think your awesome

Wartender

Recruiter

11-12-2010

i installed everything, and when i try to run LoL, i get

Code:
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x405f01 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

dacci

11-13-2010

When I run the script it goes to the Internet explorer and Internet tools window to download updates....and just stays there...

anyone else have that problem?

Wartender

Recruiter

11-14-2010

after messing with some permissions, i got the wine debugger to spit out something that should actually be useful to whoever can understand this
http://pastebin.com/qpMNcLMq

Singularly

11-14-2010

I've just tried to use your script to make work league of legends on my computer.
The install loading screen gets white, and is really slow (for now).
Any issues on that. (I think that the loader just stopped working.

EDIT: I just finally got it, it's installed, but when I double click on Play League of Legends, it just say that :
LOL.launcher got a serious problem and has to close.
Anyone already got this problem before?

tidel ni hati

11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by X DeMonLive View Post
I've just tried to use your script to make work league of legends on my computer.
The install loading screen gets white, and is really slow (for now).
Any issues on that. (I think that the loader just stopped working.

EDIT: I just finally got it, it's installed, but when I double click on Play League of Legends, it just say that :
LOL.launcher got a serious problem and has to close.
Anyone already got this problem before?
same with the serious problem

Wartender

Recruiter

11-15-2010

same with me