[guide] Blitzcrank: The steam-powered **** machine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoDebate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2010

Interesting new item build. Everything hurts... A lot more. I'm really liking the massive damage output post Lich's with your Fist + Crits + Moar Fists.

Condon, solo mid with Blitzcrank v: Squishy.

Ever tried? Psychologically speaking, they never seem to expect you to Rocket + Fist them into a tower diving **** fest until it actually happens. Post fisting, 99% of the time, they're so terrified, they won't get anywhere near your creeps hugging their tower like tree-huggers on Earth Day. Makes it easier to farm and more importantly, go fist **** other people in other lanes.

Also, Blitzcrank getting first blood is a hilarious morale boost.

Wildkarde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Just unlocked the Sybian Machine and Daaayyyuuumm!

Used your guidelines and went 13/7/11 my first game with him

I missed a lot of grabs too, so I can only imagine. He does tear it up

Great job again!

TheHegemuffin

04-05-2010

Really, REALLY nice updated build. As a veteran Blitz player and big fan of your guides, I returned to this guide this morning, possibly to mine a few nuggets of inspiration I might have missed... And nearly had an existential crisis (my robotic, steam-powered alter ego, that is), at the new, seemingly caster-style(!) item build. However, armed with the irrefutable knowledge that condon guides are, indeed, never wrong, I confronted my potential breakdown head on and figured I'd give it a try.

After playing a few games today with it, I find myself never looking back at any of the various builds I used to espouse (that is, melee dps carrycrank, tankcrank when necessary, etc.) Having struggled, and often been victorious, but undeniably struggled, in many a melee dps Blitz game, I have an added appreciation for your comment that the alterations were made to accommodate the current state of the game (melee dps being underpowered in general). The AP burst provides an attractive alternative to any kind of prolonged melee damage, and the general increased HP + Mana basically lets you dance around in teamfights doing what Blitzcrank does best for longer.

What I like most about this build is that it essentially lets you play Blitz for the entire game like you would in the early stages ---> instilling fear in your opponents of your epic combos and doing enough damage with your abilities alone so as not to have to resort to Overdrive and AD items. Too often Blitz becomes either a Grab + off-tank in late game team fights (don't get me wrong, that's worth it in itself), or a Grab + melee dps, but this way lets him stick around and rotate through the same trusty combos that he uses the whole game through.

So I have one small question regarding the build... In addition to the current state of the game being what it is, your build seems particularly appropriate given the upcoming buff to Archangel's Staff. Given that the max mana cap is going to be raised so significantly, though, would you recommend possibly getting the Tear before RoA to give it that chance to max out in the average game length?

Also, I can't really speak to Dodge Yellows (since I'm a poor ass level 29 ******* who hasn't been able to farm the IP for Tier 3 Dodge yet), but have you tried Mana Regen / Level Yellows? I know you're against the Grab spam early now, but it's really great for keeping that shield full and generally having the mana at level 6 to assuredly Grab + Fist + Ultimate.

Thoughts?

Tonnes of Dmg

05-19-2010

Thanks, Condon.

Tried out Blitzcrank these week cos he's free and followed your guide. Went 8/2 on my first game.

The Rooster

05-19-2010

I am going to try this build but it seems like a very gold intensive build. How hard is it to get all of these items? I find it very hard to farm with blitz early game until I get my ult at 6. Then it goes a bit easier..

Depictionx

05-22-2010

Just want to say love all your guides over all the place. Having never played Blitz before I found the insight as well as the advice very useful. Great guide. Just played a game with it and won the past three. In the latest I went 9/3/17 and our team won losing only 2 of our turrets while we took out everything. Once again Kudos to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
I am going to try this build but it seems like a very gold intensive build. How hard is it to get all of these items? I find it very hard to farm with blitz early game until I get my ult at 6. Then it goes a bit easier..
To answer this, I normally focus on trying to get the other champs in my last game I had a lichbane, merc treads, rod of ages tears of the goddess and I still had another 2.4k~ while we were making our last push.

Crappo

05-24-2010

I wish I could turn off my forum chat filters just to read Condon's guides. Hell, I wish the forum turned off chat filters for EVERYONE to read Condon's guides.

TheHegemuffin

06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
The beautiful thing about this guide is that it helps itself with gold. The moment you get even a little AP from that first Blasting Wand, you have enough to one shot caster minions + the Sheen proc for another melee minion + Overdrive for the rest --- enough to stop big pushes in their tracks. This in turn helps you accumulate gold more quickly since you spend less time just whomping on stuff, and in general you'd be surprised. With a good ally, early lane kills or assists shouldn't be hard either, and good Blitz players will rely on that at least a bit to have a guaranteed Sheen + Boots by 6 and thus even more of an early advantage to get you to that first Blasting Wand (whenever you fit it in).

The other thing, though, is that Blitz with Sheen + Treads or Tabi ****s on everything mid-game, so long as you keep up a modest income and keep up in levels (not too much of a tall order). The added items are more just icing on the cake, but the rule of thumb is a little goes a long way.

vulpixel

06-02-2010

I understand the item build, but It is just way too much money to get to the damage with lichbane part. I find a more support build better if only 8000 gold is obtained.
Shoes, glacial shroud, phage, aegis, and stark's are better than boots, ROA, tear of goddess, and banshee veil. Defensively, offensivly, and aura-wise.

TheHegemuffin

06-02-2010

Mm, fair enough. That said I rarely find myself on a team where I need to get either the Aegis or the Stark's (if I'm with a premade). Also, while those items might seem better on paper, RoA is extremely good for what Blitzcrank is there to do. At max it gives him an instant +160 damage on his Grab Ult combo, and the Health AND Mana boost make him extremely durable, actually, when you factor in Mana shield. Anyway, I often switch it up after the RoA and I've had to get Aegis before loads of times. I think the point of condon's new build, though, is to shy away from stuff like Phage or Stark's simply because melee dps is underpowered in the current game balance, and if you're sticking your neck out trying to get a Phage proc, you're going to bite it pretty quickly, especially without the extra survivability from the RoA. Mind you, I'm just talking about team fights where there might be a lot of back and forth and your job would be to get close and swing some fists instead of a chasing situation, where, yes, Phage would be good. I don't think there's anything wrong with your suggestions but I think it's a very different Blitzcrank from the one in this guide.