[guide] Blitzcrank: The steam-powered **** machine

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

condon

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solasce View Post
Awesome guide. Where can we get the uncensored version?
Now where's the fun in that. You have an imagination, I'm sure.

Morby

12-09-2009

Reading your guide makes me chuckle. Following your guide and fistf**king the other team into a cloud of pink mist gives me an erection. I award you...what the hell, over 9000 internets.

PapaMeltin

12-09-2009

I'm supposed to be working right now, but instead I'm lolling at your guides. Also, getting pumped to play some Blitz. I was wondering what I could do better. Keep up the hilarious work.

Also, admit it. You have a hell of a good time writing these, don't you?

tankthefrank

12-09-2009

(i have posted this in one other forum but i would like to get your opinion on it)
Ok so i am not what i consider pro but i think i play blitz well. i am hoping you can tell me why these are bad choices or maybe a way to tweak it. now i don't number crunch i play with what feels right for my play style.
(excuse typos or mislabeling things i am at work and cant look up stuff right now)

My skill build looks something like this and varys depending on who i am laning with or who i am laning against
+rocket grab
+power fist
+overdrive
+power fist
+rocket grab
+static field (max 1st) --> the max power fist -->max rocket grab
--> the max overdrive

When i start the game 1st thing i do is pick up a Meki pendent and 2 health pots.
1) the mana regen for my rocket grab is great and make early ganking in my lane awesome.
2) the pendent build into a philosophers stone (which is great gold and regen for health/mana)

(items 2 and 3 can interchange. i like Leviathan 1st to get stacks early)
the 2nd item i pick up picked up in most cases is Leviathan
1) it stacks for health every time you kill or assit.
2) i find stacking health to be more effective

3rd item is Mercury treads
1) the 40% reduced movement impairing effects i find is crucial in any situation

4th item is Warmong's Armor
1) again health is a must in my opinion
2) its passive i find stacks really well with Leviathan
( i usually don't have time to get beyond this because the games is over)

**Love, peace and all that jazz but war is too much fun

ZampanÚ

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joru View Post
Okay, I follow you. But you still have a sentence saying "You will never have a fist cooldown as low as your grab..." there which should be reversed.

Also, if we're going to take the stance that grab-fist combos are the most important thing to shoot for...shouldn't that also be a case for getting and leveling Overdrive earlier? Overdrive only needs to buy you like one extra hit per level to outpace the 60 extra damage per level from Rocket Grab, and between the attack speed increase for enemies who stand and fight and the move speed increase to keep you in range of runners, it seems like it should be able to do that easily. In addition to being a pretty potent escape tool. It's also the only skill he has that isn't immediately great right from level 1...a Blitzcrank with middling Grab/Fist skill levels and 5 in Overdrive seems like he should be more threatening than one with a few extra points in Grab and/or Fist but only zero or one in Overdrive.

Of course, that's mostly armchair analysis. I don't have much hands-on experience with Blitzcrank, not because I don't like him (I've always kind of wished he could be one of my mains), but because I have a history of doing horribly every time I play him, probably either due to being too massively stupid to buy Sheen early or too massively stupid to weave my abilities properly with it (or maybe for trying to Rocket Grab by clicking directly on people running at slight angles; it's been a while, so I don't really remember). Though with this guide, maybe I'll be able to give him another shot.
your armchair analysis mirrors my real playing experience. I play blitz alot and he was my first store purchase. One point in grab is all you need early game (its my first point). Overdrive deserves more points afterwards though. It will allow for more dmg and will set you up for even more grabs and ganks. Popping overdrive and then initiating a fight with a grab is the way to do it, followed by the typical fist knock up. This allows you to come at the enemy while youre running really fast with overdrive as they flee/retreat to the upcoming creep wave or behind a turret for cover. I get more kills this way, and when I watch other blitz players use him well, I notice a lot more overdrive use early and often.

One thing that makes blitz great is that he can really mess up turrets on a push. More points in overdrive and power fist will allow for a lot more high damaging hits (especially with sheen) on a turret whereas grab is only benefiting you with a mildly lower CD and just a hair more damage on a hero (which overdrive outperforms with extra hits).

I love the guide though, it's hilarious and does have a lot of merit, i just don't like the timing of the skill points you use and I would also say that the offensive mastery tree can work just as well as the others you mention.

If you dont believe my suggestions, try them out and play aggressive with points in overdrive.

Joru

12-09-2009

I've had a chance to play a couple of Blitzcrank rounds over the last couple of days. I still need a lot more practice, but I'm doing a lot better than I used to, mostly thanks to the itemization and rotation tips in this guide. But the more I play, the more confident I am that Overdrive is worth maxing early-ish.

Here's a common situation. The guy you're laning against is down to maybe 50-60%. An ally comes by to help you out and you decide you can probably gank him. The enemy sees you approach and turns around and runs like hell, because you're frigging Blitzcrank and that's the proper response. He's just barely in your Rocket Grab range, but if you stop and take the time to actually fire it, he'll escape. Overdrive lets you close the gap by the few feet you need to nab him and kill him.

Also, between Sheen and getting some points in Overdrive, my most common combo is Rocket Grab > Sheen Hit > Activate Power Fist > Whoops he took one step and now I will never ever catch him in a thousand years. I lose so many ganks, or at least a lot of harassment potential, due to this. The sooner it stops happening, the better.

In my last game, maxed Overdrive by level 12 or so saved my life so many times. Popping it when your mana shield goes up gets you out of so many situations if you're not already slowed.

It's maybe worth putting a second or sometimes third point in Rocket Grab in the first few levels because the percentage increase in damage is pretty high, level 1-2 Overdrive is pretty weak, and your melee damage sucks anyway. But after that, Overdrive becomes pretty much top priority for me, maybe with occasional Power Fist points mixed in if I feel like it. The last two points of Rocket Grab are a pretty marginal benefit, relatively speaking. And maxing Power Fist before Overdrive seems like a waste. Until you get into long teamfights, it's practically impossible to Power Fist anyone more than once, even at minimum cooldown, without Overdrive to chase them (or a Frozen Mallet/really good luck with Phage/a pet Ashe).

If there's a situation in which 5 Rocket Grab /5 Power Fist / 1 Overdrive is more powerful than, say, 2 Rocket Grab / 4 Power Fist / 5 Overdrive, I'm not seeing it. And that's about at level 13, a point where whoever performs the best in ganks in teamfights is really starting to decide definitively where the game is going to go. Being 15+ before you have even a halfway-decent Overdrive (and not having it maxed until 18) is just too long to wait for me.

condon

12-09-2009

Greetings fleshweasels.

I see a lot of "Overdrive is win lololol" and "Grab ftl" going on in here.

While I respect your opinion, and realize there are many ways to play every character, let me make a counterpoint:

Y'all ****ing ******bags need to step up off my **** jesus titty ****ing grill and eat a big ol bag of ****s.

Alright, maybe I just like asterisks a little too much. Point being, it's all situational and Dependant on playstyle. I tend to play very aggressive, which usually puts me in situations where I am low in health, and dancing just out of tower range like rocky trying not to get plowed by a large russian man. Killing the enemy before they can blink (and more importantly, on a shorter cooldown) ends up being much more valuable than being able to run up into tower range and gargle a pair of big ol' magic balls.

When I'm running around ganking or helping lanes push forward, I've got my boots of swiftness to keep me ahead of the game, and by then you have one rank of overdrive to close the gap. If you start a team fight, the increased levels of grab will allow you to use it as an opener, AND catch a fleeing enemy.

Never underestimate the power of a couple seconds on an ability as gross as grab, especially when you don't have much room to overdrive into.

If you play differently, by all means do your skills differently.

Orimoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

I approve of this thread.

Joru

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by condon View Post
Greetings fleshweasels.

I see a lot of "Overdrive is win lololol" and "Grab ftl" going on in here.

While I respect your opinion, and realize there are many ways to play every character, let me make a counterpoint:

Y'all ****ing ******bags need to step up off my **** jesus titty ****ing grill and eat a big ol bag of ****s.

Alright, maybe I just like asterisks a little too much. Point being, it's all situational and Dependant on playstyle. I tend to play very aggressive, which usually puts me in situations where I am low in health, and dancing just out of tower range like rocky trying not to get plowed by a large russian man. Killing the enemy before they can blink (and more importantly, on a shorter cooldown) ends up being much more valuable than being able to run up into tower range and gargle a pair of big ol' magic balls.

When I'm running around ganking or helping lanes push forward, I've got my boots of swiftness to keep me ahead of the game, and by then you have one rank of overdrive to close the gap. If you start a team fight, the increased levels of grab will allow you to use it as an opener, AND catch a fleeing enemy.

Never underestimate the power of a couple seconds on an ability as gross as grab, especially when you don't have much room to overdrive into.

If you play differently, by all means do your skills differently.
I guess I'm more the type who plays a bit more conservatively and who'd rather be better able to seal the deal when I'm already ahead and escape alive when I'm losing rather than gamble everything on a turnaround that turns a narrow defeat into a narrow win. I guess if you like to stay at really low health and taunt slightly-higher enemies, 300 damage could really catch them by surprise.

It'd help if you explained why you don't take Overdrive more clearly in the first post. You give a good explanation why you'd rather have high Rocket Grab than a high Power Fist, but not why you'd rather have both before pumping Overdrive. The fact that Overdrive, if you do take it early, combos much better with a low-cooldown Power Fist than Rocket Grab does makes things even more confusing for people who are already predisposed towards going in that direction.

But I guess one of the nice things about Blitzcrank is how flexible he is in terms of skill order. Rocket Grab and Power Fist are so good at level 1 that you can do pretty much whatever you want from level three on and make it work if you know what you're doing.

Nabonidus

12-09-2009

I have to say, Condon, I love your guides. I don't even PLAY Blitzcrank, but I read this one just for the lulz you always provide. Not only is your stuff hilarious, but always informative. Someone give this man ajudicator/council status.

(PS: I'd love to see a Mundo guide from you sometime.)

12345678 ... 9