Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

toomad

10-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
is there a cap on IAS(increased attack speed)?
Yes, afaik AS is hardcapped at 2.5 (attacks per second). You probably never gonna hit it in a normal game (exception is twitch with his abilities and Tryndamere if you focus on AS item and have 10 bloodlust stacks, but that doesn't make sense for him).

toomad

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
Q: How does dodge work?

A: Dodge works with diminishing returns. [...]
20% dodge +
(80 * .11) = 8.8% dodge +
(71.2 * .1) = 7.12% dodge

For a total of 35.92% dodge.
Okay, so it is

((dodge % nr1) + (((dodge % without DR -100)*(-1)) * (dodge % nr2 / 100)))

with two dodge values.

with three it would be

((dodge % nr1) + (((dodge % nr1-100)*(-1)) * (dodge % nr2/100)))+((((dodge % nr1) + ((((dodge % nr1-100)*(-1)) * (dodge % nr2/100)))-100) *(-1))*(dodge % nr3/100))

Correct me if I am wrong (please) as I will implement it into my calculator for the tankstats part -> http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=16486

CnB84

10-11-2009

Do abiities or masteries like Harden Skin, Defensive Mastery, or Amumu's Tantrum reduce damage before or after resistance? Because if it's before, the damage reduction is completely negilible, even against minions. They do what vanguard and Kraken's shell did in Dota, but the bonus is so small, it may as well not even be there.

Also, I'm not really sure if armor reduction is really granting a 1% bonus. I was just playing Ramius and I was taking 20 points of damage against the dragon minion with shell on, and when it wore off, I was taking 26 damage. If 150/150 armor/magic reduction worked as you described, I should have been taking 40 damage after shell wore off. As it is, it would seem that either armor or magic, probably both only grant .25 hps per point.

For every 100 points of reduction, I should be cutting an enemy attacks in half. Clearly not the case with my example.

Lollerman

10-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnB84 View Post
Do abiities or masteries like Harden Skin, Defensive Mastery, or Amumu's Tantrum reduce damage before or after resistance? Because if it's before, the damage reduction is completely negilible, even against minions. They do what vanguard and Kraken's shell did in Dota, but the bonus is so small, it may as well not even be there.
It applies after everything has been calculated, and flat out blocks X number of damage as it says it does. Hence, how Amumu takes 0 damage from certain creeps when these abilities are used in tandem.

CnB84

10-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
It applies after everything has been calculated, and flat out blocks X number of damage as it says it does. Hence, how Amumu takes 0 damage from certain creeps when these abilities are used in tandem.
That's good to hear. That kind of damage reduction is only really good if have something in front of it.

However, back to my other question, I double checked, this time in a practice game. This time the dragon dealt 56 damage without the shell, 39 with level 3 shell (100 armor/magic res). Now I have three points in Harden Skin, but I that's only two points of damage reduction. Something is off, since 100 armor should have cut that 56 points of damage in half, down to 28 or so.

Either shell is bugged, armor/res is bugged, I'm mistaken somehow, or the mechanics page needs to be updated because it's not working as adertised.

I mean, really. If I'm only gaining .5% effectiveness for hps, then items that grant raw hp gain are clearly a better investment, since adding hp provides protection against both magic and physical attacks.

Lollerman

10-11-2009

Scroll over your "armour" value to check % damage reduction. 100 armour is 50%.

Your mistake is assuming 0 armour before applying shell. The difference between 56 damage and 39 damage is the difference between X armour and X + 100 armour, not 0 and 100. 100 armour isn't 50% reduction at all levels, it's 50% assuming 100 is your max armour. 100 + 100 != 50% + 50% damage reduction. 1 armour = 1% EHP, that's how % physical damage reduction is calculated in this game.

Edit: yeahh that was a bit difficult to understand because I'm a bit iffy about calculations from EHP -> % reduction too.

requiescat

10-11-2009

Quote:

Your mistake is assuming 0 armour before applying shell. The difference between 56 damage and 39 damage is the difference between X armour and X + 100 armour, not 0 and 100. 100 armour isn't 50% reduction at all levels, it's 50% assuming 100 is your max armour. 100 + 100 != 50% + 50% damage reduction. 1 armour = 1% EHP, that's how % physical damage reduction is calculated in this game.

Edit: yeahh that was a bit difficult to understand because I'm a bit iffy about calculations from EHP -> % reduction too.
that just made my head spin XD

CnB84

10-11-2009

Quote:

So let me see if I got this straight

Let's say I have 100 hp 0 armor. I buy 6 items that increases my armor by 100 each. That would be like adding 600 hp, effectively, right?

Now let's say I instead buy 5 items that increase my hp by 100 each and 1 item that increases armor by 100. That's 1200 ehp.

Given that, and considering the potency of both magical and physical damage in this game, is there really any incentive at all to increase armor or magic resist over hp?

Heat n Serve

10-12-2009

Question:
If I have one infinity edge (crits do 250% instead of 200%) and +8% crit damage from runes... how does that stack? Is it (a) 258% crit damage? Or (b), the +8% taken after the 250%?

In the case of (a), new damage = damage x 2.58
In the case of (b), new damage = damage x 2.5 x 1.08

Which is it? Thanks!

AI Assimilator

10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnB84 View Post
So let me see if I got this straight

Let's say I have 100 hp 0 armor. I buy 6 items that increases my armor by 100 each. That would be like adding 600 hp, effectively, right?

Now let's say I instead buy 5 items that increase my hp by 100 each and 1 item that increases armor by 100. That's 1200 ehp.

Given that, and considering the potency of both magical and physical damage in this game, is there really any incentive at all to increase armor or magic resist over hp?
I can easily give a counter example:
well what if you have 3000 hp and 100 armour, whats better against physical attacks 50 more armour or 600 more hp? Which is cheaper?
Answer: Assuming no recipe items the hp route gives 7200 ehp vs physical attacks for roughly 1425g. While the armour route gives 7500 ehp vs physical attacks for roughly 700g.

The problem for now with armour is that one item really reduces the effectiveness of armour. The same cannot be said for MR. Buying some MR is worth it.
Many champs have 1.5k-2k base hp at level 18. While only have 30 MR. buying MR will make many caster champs like veigar lose a lot of their burst effectiveness against you (especially if you get veil as part of MR and immunity once every 25 seconds).