Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

modrus

09-07-2009

You may want add to your guide a description of how ability power works.

Excellent guide!

Naltharial

09-12-2009

Does anyone know the base crit chance, rules for stacking crit chance (penalization) and existence of a cap on the cumulative chance?

Sokolov

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
Q: How do item auras work together?

A: If you and a teammate both have the same item, you will be affected by the aura twice. As an example, at the start of the game you purchase Mana Manipulator. This item gives a mana regeneration to yourself and allies nearby. If you were to go with a teammate who also purchased Mana Manipulator, both of you would be affected by this aura twice.

However, if you had a third teammate that did not have the Mana Manipulator they would only be affected by one aura.
I was confused by this initially on first read, but then I realized what I believe is actually happening.

Basically, you get the effect of the item if you have it, that's fine and easy to understand. On the stacking side, you can only ever be affected by a single copy of a given aura. Thus, if you have 2 people who both have it, they each get the aura (from each other), as well as the original effect on themselves. The fact that the base effect and the aura effect is exactly the same really doesn't matter, and leads to the confusion of "you will be affected by the aura twice" which for me doesn't seem to be technically true, as you are affected by a single aura from your team-mates but also get your own effect from the item you have.

To put it another way, if you have 3 team-mates (4 people total), and each of you had one of these Mana Manipulators, then the maximum effect for each of you is still the effect you get from the item yourself, and a single instance of the aura, for a total of two times the effect.

(I am a noob, so I may have misunderstood, but this feels more in-line based on what had been described about the 3rd team-mate without the Manipulator.)

oneincher

09-15-2009

What's the word on armor pen vs crit damage?

Let's say you have 50 armor pen. If I understand correctly, this means you should 50% more damage, right? Which means your crits would be hitting for 3x normal damage w/o armor pen, no?

It seems like armor pen is a lot better, though not as consistent as crit damage. Has anyone done the math on this?

Myzzrym

09-15-2009

What about poison and slow stacking?

Exemple: Teemo places 2 mushrooms at the same place - let us say for convinience sake that each deals 300 poison damage over time and 30% slow.

Which answer is correct?
- Victim will take 600 DoT and 60% slow.
- Victim will take 300 DoT and 60% slow.
- Victim will take 600 DoT and 30% slow.
- Victim will take 300 DoT and 30% slow.

Now, afaik poison from different sources stack (such as mushroom + poison dart), but do slow from different sources stack? If exhaust was to slow for 30% and mushroom for 30%, does my victim get slowed by 60%?

lukkas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2009

Maybe I missed it - sorry. But do poisons stack? How many stacks? A few examples...

Same source stacking: Teemo hits Ryze 5 times with poison shot. Does Ryze have 5 poison stacks or 1? I know mushrooms don't stack, don't know if that's a special case or not.

Different source stacking: Teemo hits Ryze once with poison shot, Twitch hits Ryze once with poison shot. Does Ryze have 2 poison stacks or 1?

Stumpster

Adjudicator

09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneincher View Post
What's the word on armor pen vs crit damage?

Let's say you have 50 armor pen. If I understand correctly, this means you should 50% more damage, right? Which means your crits would be hitting for 3x normal damage w/o armor pen, no?

It seems like armor pen is a lot better, though not as consistent as crit damage. Has anyone done the math on this?
I'm not entirely sure on the way armor penetration/magic penetration work, hopefully someone else can come in and help out.

Quote:
What about poison and slow stacking?

Exemple: Teemo places 2 mushrooms at the same place - let us say for convinience sake that each deals 300 poison damage over time and 30% slow.

Which answer is correct?
- Victim will take 600 DoT and 60% slow.
- Victim will take 300 DoT and 60% slow.
- Victim will take 600 DoT and 30% slow.
- Victim will take 300 DoT and 30% slow.

Now, afaik poison from different sources stack (such as mushroom + poison dart), but do slow from different sources stack? If exhaust was to slow for 30% and mushroom for 30%, does my victim get slowed by 60%?
Slow and poison from the same source do not stack. So the correct answer would be that the victim would take 300 DoT and a 30% slow. The reason this happens is because both the DoT and slow are from the same debuff. When you hit the second mushroom, all it does is refresh the old debuff instead of adding a new one.

Quote:
Maybe I missed it - sorry. But do poisons stack? How many stacks? A few examples...

Same source stacking: Teemo hits Ryze 5 times with poison shot. Does Ryze have 5 poison stacks or 1? I know mushrooms don't stack, don't know if that's a special case or not.

Different source stacking: Teemo hits Ryze once with poison shot, Twitch hits Ryze once with poison shot. Does Ryze have 2 poison stacks or 1?
The only same source that stacks is Twitch's poison. However, AFAIK all different sources stack. That means you could have a person affected by Teemo's Poison Dart, Teemo's Mushroom, Twitch's Poison, and Gangplank's Grog-Soaked Blade all at the same time.

SkarFaith

09-21-2009

Great FAQ, thanks a lot for the effort you put in.

A question regarding abilities, I hope I didn't miss relevant info in the thread (just read the 7 pages).

Can abilities crit ?

If yes,

Can they all crit or is there a difference between:

Single target VS Multi target. (Annie's Fireball VS Cho'gath's rupture)
Direct VS over time. (Annie's fireball VS Singed's Poison trail)

Is there a different crit rating or % for auto attacks and abilities?

Are abilities affected by +crit damage?

Thanks in advance

ThisZeroIsReal

09-30-2009

For unique abilities, if two different items have the a unique with the same effect, (glacial shroud/fiendish codex), they stack right?

Also apparently there is a cap to stacking lowered cooldowns

^ Abilities cannot crit

AFAIK armor penetration ignores that amount of armor, i.e. 10 armor - 5 AP means you hit as if he had 5 armor. It was the strongest damage amplification method in dota and I wouldn't be surprised if it was equally strong in LoL.

stew

10-08-2009

is there a cap on IAS(increased attack speed)?