Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

indrajith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2010

does spell vamp(haunting guise) works with despair (amumu)? IF it DOES how the health gain is considered?

Changief

04-18-2010

Yes, It also works with sunfire cape. works just like it says on the tooltip. you get 5% since it's not single target.

Yellow Jester

04-21-2010

^wow i'm doing that build now.

Ok here's a stumper: Can you pop Zhonya's ring active ability while channeling, and if so, do you still get to finish channeling? if yes, then AP nunu just became good again.

TwoFatNuts

Adjudicator

04-21-2010

^^Nope, it cancels all channeling spells. You can however, channel Fiddle's ult and then use Z-ring after you flash.

Hatsuma

04-24-2010

Some free champ week themed questions.

How exactly does Kassadin's passive work? Does the attack speed bonus depend on how much damage you block? How long does it last?

Does rift walk build 'stacks' as long as you keep using it within 4 seconds of the last cast, or is it just double strength each cast after the first?

Does malphite's Q really "steal" movement speed, or does it just buff you by X%? I.E., do I get faster if I use it on a faster enemy?

Gustavington

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatsuma View Post
Some free champ week themed questions.

How exactly does Kassadin's passive work? Does the attack speed bonus depend on how much damage you block? How long does it last?

Does rift walk build 'stacks' as long as you keep using it within 4 seconds of the last cast, or is it just double strength each cast after the first?

Does malphite's Q really "steal" movement speed, or does it just buff you by X%? I.E., do I get faster if I use it on a faster enemy?
All good questions.

I am unsure of Kassadin's Passive (though i suspect your assumption is correct), however his ult does continue to build the more you use it. There are many accounts of people building it on the fountain, teleporting (with the summoner spell) into battle, and casting a 1000 mana cost rift walk.

As much as I hate to use the acronym, AFAIK malphite does actually steal movement speed.

A more complete, accurate, and up-to-date mechanics thread is in the works. We will be sure to answer these questions with the approriate amount of testing to back them up.

WWJDFTW

04-25-2010

What is the exact formula for dodge stacking and crit chance stacking? I had a Katarina who should've had over 100% dodge (Phantom Dancer, Ninja Tabi and lv 5 KI-boosted Shunpo=20%+11%+70%=101%), but a Gangplank hit me with parrrley even though he didn't have a Sword of the Divine.

just call me evo

04-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJDFTW View Post
What is the exact formula for dodge stacking and crit chance stacking? I had a Katarina who should've had over 100% dodge (Phantom Dancer, Ninja Tabi and lv 5 KI-boosted Shunpo=20%+11%+70%=101%), but a Gangplank hit me with parrrley even though he didn't have a Sword of the Divine.
lol lazy poster is lazy. dodge adds multiplicatively, so its impossible to get over 100% dodge, and in fact, it is impossible to get 100% dodge, without a 100% dodge item. look at the beginning of the thread for an explanation

Gustavington

04-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJDFTW View Post
Dodge is calculated using the following formula:

chance you will be hit = (1 - x1) * (1 - x2) * (1 - x3) * (1 - x4) ...

Where the 'x's are your dodge values (from items/masteries/etc.). To get your final dodge value, subtract the result from 1.

There is a general consensus that Dodge is subject to diminishing returns - this is wrong. The multiplicative scaling creates a linear scaling with survivability, not a diminishing one. Each point of Dodge you gain is as effective as the last in terms of increasing your survivability against physical attacks.

In fact, for those of you mathematically inclined, you may notice that you gain more than linear survivability per Dodge bonus. This is because the Dodge bonuses are not infinitely small. Adding 1% Dodge 50 times gives 39.5% Dodge which is relatively close to 33.3% which would have generated a 50% increase in survival time. However, if you gain a single, 50% bonus to Dodge, your dodge becomes 50%. This generates a 100% increase in survival time, much greater than a linear gain. Another 50% bonus would behave in the same way, this time making you dodge 75%. This eliminates half of the remaining attacks against you, doubling your current survivability for a total of 300% increase (because only 1/4 of the attacks are hitting you).

Another way to look at this is through absurdly high dodge values. At 99% Dodge a .5% increase (half of the remaining attacks) would double your projected survivability. However, you would need a single 50% bonus to generate that .5% when your Dodge is already so high. But, as you can see, that 50% bonus is just as effective as if you got it without any other Dodge.

Critical Strike chance, on the other hand, stacks additively. It has a hard cap at 100%.

Ruivocanadense

04-26-2010

I don't understand how damage and magic penetration work. Does it go through the percentage? And what is that MR?