Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hedgepig

11-06-2009

Blitzcrank question here, but also a general question regarding damage multipliers/Sheen.

Blitzcrank has power fist, which makes the next attack do double damage. Sheen also makes the next attack do double damage. Same for crits. So my question is, how do these work and add together? If they all multiply, you'd get base*2(PF)*2(Sheen)*2 Crit = 8. If they add you'd get *6, or even only 4. Or theres other options based on how sheen works? From playing a few times, I think the following is true:

- Power fist damage can crit, and this is multiplied together for a total of *4 damage, however:
- Sheen damage applies again immediately after your attack, instead of stacking on your attack: Ie, I hit something with power fist, with 100 attack damage, I see 200 200 pop up, instead of 100*2*2 = 400. Is this just an auto attack afterwards, or the sheen damage?

Is this true? After playing blitz last night with a trinity force and black cleaver, I would often powerfist things for about 700, followed by a 2-300 hit immediately thereafter. Its a little hard to see these numbers due tot he sparklies and chaos of the game, but I tried to watch while fisting super creeps (ahem) because Im curious how these work. There are a number of possibilities that make stacking crit/sheen/powerfist together potentially less useful, and I'd rather avoid all that.

Stumpster

Adjudicator

11-06-2009

The majority of damage enhancing abilities (except for the notable exception of Parley) add damage after critical strikes are calculated.

So, in your example, you'd have this:

Base*2 (Crit) +
Base (Sheen) +
Base (Powerfist)

You'd end with 4 times base damage.

As to the second point, I'm certain that Sheen damage is applied when you attack, not as an after-affect. Although it may act weird when you hit someone with both Sheen and Powerfist 'on'.

Quote:
Are mana regen auras additive across multiple items? If item foo gives me 10 points of mana regen, and item bar gives me 5 points, do I get 15 points of regen or just the highest( 10 )?
Yes, mana regen is additive. You would have 15 mana per 5 seconds in that example.

Quote:
Does armor penetration help when attacking turrets? Or is it only minions/champions?
I believe that armor penetration works against everything.

BalthageDay

11-08-2009

This thread says cooldown reduction works additively.

http://leagueoflegends.com/learn/champion_statistics says it works multiplicatively.

Which is correct?

Stumpster

Adjudicator

11-08-2009

Just checked. I picked Ashe and tested using her Ultimate (standard CD is 75 seconds):

Picked up Brutalizer (10% reduced CD): 67.5 seconds (7.5 seconds total reduced CD or 10%)
Picked up Stinger (10% reduced CD): 60 seconds (15 seconds total reduced CD or 20%)

It is incorrect on that page, because it is obviously additive.

If it were multiplicative it would be:

10% reduced
9% reduced

60.75 seconds

Razhik

11-14-2009

What about armor/magic penetration?

If you have 70 magic penetration, and the opponent has 50 magic resistance, is there such thing as negative magic resistance?

Does that 20 extra penetration equate to any more damage 50 magic penetration would have?

Thanks

Stumpster

Adjudicator

11-15-2009

It is possible to get people into negative magic resistance/armor and it does make your spells more powerful. However, I need to find the post on it showing that getting them into the negatives is not as effective as getting them to 0 MR and getting more AP instead.

EDIT: Found it, credit to Ravenite.

Quote:
Resists work off of the following formula: x resistance means that attacks of that type against you do 1-(x/(abs(x)+100)) times the normal damage. So if I have 200 armor, attacks will do 1-(200/300) = 1/3 damage to me. Likewise if I have -200 armor, attacks will do 1+(200/300)= 5/3 damage to me. This does not seem to make sense. 200 armor means that physical attacks against me will take 3x longer to kill me. It only makes sense that physical attacks against -200 armor should kill me 3x as fast. For a more extreme example, take 300 vs. -300 armor. One makes attacks do 1/4 damage. The other makes them do 7/4 damage. The increase factor from -300 armor is less than half of the decrease factor from +300 armor!

McComb

11-19-2009

Question :
Does Rylai's scepter work with every offensive spell?
On some spells it show icey slow effect and some not.
If the spell is already a slow will it stack?
If the spell is a stun disable will the slow take effect during the stun or after the stun?
Does it work on Tremor?

Stumpster

Adjudicator

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickenjal View Post
Question :
Does Rylai's scepter work with every offensive spell?
On some spells it show icey slow effect and some not.
If the spell is already a slow will it stack?
If the spell is a stun disable will the slow take effect during the stun or after the stun?
Does it work on Tremor?
1. Rylai's should work on every offensive spell, if you find a case where that isn't true, it's probably a bug.

2. If the spell is a slow, the debuff from Rylai's will be applied, but it works the same way that all slows work. (See the first page, the most powerful slow will be applied first)

3. The slow takes affect as soon as the enemy is affected by the spell, which means that they would be slowed during the stun.

4. I would be surprised if it didn't, although I don't think I've seen a Rammus with Rylai's.

Ennyn Messor

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
Q: Do slows stack?

A: No. What happens is that if you are affected by two slows, the most effective one takes affect first. After that wears off, if there is a weaker slow on you, it will take affect then. As an example:

Singed drops his Goo and you run through it (we'll say it slows for 30% ->or 5 seconds). At the same time, you are hit by Nunu's snowball (we'll say it slows for 50% for 3 seconds). It would play out as follows:
there is an error in the thread, i made an arrow on the quote to show it, its something minor, but you should fix it when you have the time xD.

(obs: it should say: it slows for 30% for 5 seconds).

Stumpster

Adjudicator

11-19-2009

Fixed, thanks.

Also added in a bit about tower aggro and increasing damage from towers, been getting a couple players in game that can't figure that out.