Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


How much of your brain do you use when you play LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sh0ck And Awe

Senior Member

11-06-2010

insert sona joke here


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoD Quantum

Senior Member

11-06-2010

I'm an MIT student who studies AI and human cognition, the answer is closer to 65% of your brain. Don't think that just because you're playing a video game that you only need a small part of your brain! There is a lot of social behavior and predictions of enemy actions that you have to make every second; this leads to a ton of brain activity. Think of the brain more as a connection machine, not something that runs a program in some compartment of your brain (AKA the 10% model). Also, my guess is that your cerebellum contains most of your ingame player protocols. A new player is slow at the game because they are using the majority of their brain (which has 10^10 neurons) and they are searching for a good approach to play. After enough gameplay and experience, the standard motion, farming, mouse flick, key combos and such are placed in the cerebellum. The cerebellum (having a whopping 10^11 neurons) is what controls a lot of your motor skills and is probably the most active part of your brain during the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

psikoticsilver

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Honestly I go almost complete tunnel. I'd be surprised if I use more than 0.1%.

However, when I dual screen with porn on the 2nd monitor that increases it to at least 0.3%.

When I play Karthus, the percentage is somewhere between 0.Q and 0.R%.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightsaber122

Senior Member

11-06-2010

As Captain Quantum has said the 10% thing is a lie Mythbusters disproved it, at one tenth of a second you DO use 10% of your brain but overall *1 second+* you use more like 35%-45%.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TEEAHMAT TOOSDEY

Senior Member

11-06-2010

my what?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vogatoad

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Quote:
Lightsaber122:
As Captain Quantum has said the 10% thing is a lie Mythbusters disproved it, at one tenth of a second you DO use 10% of your brain but overall *1 second+* you use more like 35%-45%.


I saw that mythbusters too, so thats what got me thinking about it. I thought that episode was one of the best btw =P.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malak al Maut

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Quote:
Bamoidoki:
Its more of a common misconception than a myth, the average person only uses 10% of there brain at a singular point in time unless your doing mentally taxing things such as chess, maths etc.


It's a myth, we use 100% of our brain.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Politburo

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Quote:
Bamoidoki:
Its more of a common misconception than a myth, the average person only uses 10% of there brain at a singular point in time unless your doing mentally taxing things such as chess, maths etc.


it's actually that only 10% of your brain is being used at a time for conscious thought. the other 90% is dedicated to unconscious processes like your heart


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LunarisDream

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Over 9000!!!!!

inb4 haters hating on mah meme

Also, the game. You just lost it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gale

Senior Member

11-06-2010

Quote:
Vogatoad:
lol i think the "you only use 10% of your brain" thing is a myth.


Yup, watch Mythbusters. I think the most they got a brain involved in at one time was about 30-40 % and all they had to do was tell a story to get that much of their brain going. You use about 10% of your brain at all times when you are just doing nothing.