Need help with Mundo. :V

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I8C SRS FACE

12-06-2009

Mundo is my favorite champion and he's who I play with my pre-made team when we're tired of trying new things and want a win.

I'm only level 20, and all my masteries are in Defense. I grab everything off the top row but the revive talent, and make sure that I max out the extra HP talent. Those are the most important ones for him.

Your starting item should ALWAYS BE a ruby crystal. There's no discussion about this. .3% of that 200 extra life regen it gives you works out to 6 a second, which is 30 hp5 if you want to compare it to the regrowth pendant, which only does 14 hp5. (If my math is wrong, someone let me know.) It's more max HP at the end of the day, and starting with 800+ health makes you super hard to gank.

First ability you want to get is Cleaver, obviously, and then you want to take Masochism once you hit level 2. I know a lot of people like to "focus on tanking" and get burning agony first but that's wrong. Mundo is in my opinion the best early game hero out there because he's very slippery if you're good with tossing cleavers at opponents for chasing you, and you can hit like a truck while Masochism is popped. Agony drains too much health from you early game anyway, so it's only good for tapping on and off real quick for a quick small AOE damage to creep waves. Another tip on Cleaver is that it physically extends from the left side of Mundo's body rather than straight in front of him. It helps with aiming to realize it's not a perfect straight line that it flings from you.

You should be using cleaver when it's up every time. Don't even worry about aiming for heroes with it unless you have a clean shot. It's a fantastic move for last-hitting, as is popping Masochism right before you swing. 120 damage at level 2 is just plain mean. You can harass the enemy better than they can harass you with very little exceptions. If you're teamed (as you should always lane with a partner for early game kills) with a ranged person or someone with a stun, you can get kills very easily with your 200+ burst damage at level 2 (cleaver + masochism slap = fun times). Stick closer to the bushes so that if you are taking a lot of fire from creeps, you can duck in it real quick to get them to stop attacking you, and possibly allow you to sneak further up the bushes to nail a guy with your cleaver.

Notice I haven't mentioned items yet. The reason is simple: you only return to base once a tower is down and you've got the time to do it, or you're dead. I frequently lane without too much of a problem til level 7 or 8 or so without ever needing to return to base. I personally like to lane on bot so that once I hit level 6, if the enemy team had to retreat or something, my teammate and I can go kill dragon (because you can tank it no problem with Sadism on). Once you do return to base, you should have about 1200-1300 gold. I usually buy the basic boots and then the HP belt, finishing off boots next after that. You won't be doing a lot of chasing without your ult on anyway, so the extra speed isn't as important as the extra health.

If you are forced to go back to base early, buy a heart of gold instead. It helps with the gold farming, helps with a little extra HP, and has basic armor. For a cheap cost. Not a bad investment. Still, other than that as a possibility, item progression is really simple for Mundo: Warmog's Armor, then either Frozen Mallet if you face a lot of melee, or Force of Nature if you face a lot of casters. Once you get one of those, I tend to buy an Aegis because it's cheap and helps my team a lot.
------------------------
TL;DR
Ruby Crystal as starting item, Alternate cleaver and masochism til level 8 (when you first get Burning Agony), Sadism makes you really fast and next to unkillable, and buy your items based on the team you're fighting.

AmPriS

12-06-2009

I for the most part play Mundo, but substantially different from most people. More than likely i will jungle. So i will use Smite / Cleanse. If not jungling, heal cleanse. First item I usually get is vamparic scepter. First skill is masochism. For spec/runes just look at profile.

Mundo is not a tank. Stop trying to play him like one.

Mios

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBS SRS FACE
Your starting item should ALWAYS BE a ruby crystal. There's no discussion about this. .3% of that 200 extra life regen it gives you works out to 6 a second, which is 30 hp5 if you want to compare it to the regrowth pendant, which only does 14 hp5. (If my math is wrong, someone let me know.) It's more max HP at the end of the day, and starting with 800+ health makes you super hard to gank.
Lol. You wish it was that much; .3% of 200 is .6hp/sec.

Jothki

12-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmPriS View Post
I for the most part play Mundo, but substantially different from most people. More than likely i will jungle. So i will use Smite / Cleanse. If not jungling, heal cleanse. First item I usually get is vamparic scepter. First skill is masochism. For spec/runes just look at profile.

I play him like a farmer/gank bait. High hp and regen means that I can keep burning agony on at all times at higher levels, and am nearly impossible to kill.

ALCie

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmPriS View Post

Cleanse is useless on Mundo. With Burning Agony up (should be when chasing/ being chased) and with Mercury's you get something close to -80% off CC effects. The longest stuns in the game have nothing on him. You WANT people to use stuns on him and not your teammates.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
Cho'goth is just obnoxious to everyone once he's fed. If you can't surround and focus fire him, it's probably best just not to bother at all. I've had games where we just started completely ignoring him, and went on to win.
Speaking as a Cho'gath main trying to learn Mundo...

My last memorable 1v1 Mundo mid was just a mistake for Mundo. I would focus on killing creeps (if my rupture happened to hit him, great, but didn't aim at him -- my normal early game strat with Cho) ... the point being Cho regains health with each kill.

Had he been better at aiming cleaver he might have kept it a standstill, but he missed a lot... so all the way through level 9 the fight was essentially at his tower or mid, but no closer.

As Mundo looking at that situation, you just can't effectively harass Cho. Getting near him in melee you take spike damage just from mistakes, and if he's smart he's not trying to kill YOU, he's trying to wipe out creeps for money and health regen.

Late game, cho is more of a distraction imo. Oh no, 4500 hp tankie monster that does 180 a hit and swings at half the speed of a carry... only risk is his stun, silence, and if you get too low on health. He's annoying, but more or less you can ignore him and go after squishies, which is what most good teams do around me.

Fleischer

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8C SRS FACE View Post
Your starting item should ALWAYS BE a ruby crystal. There's no discussion about this. .3% of that 200 extra life regen it gives you works out to 6 a second, which is 30 hp5 if you want to compare it to the regrowth pendant, which only does 14 hp5. (If my math is wrong, someone let me know.)
0.3% = .003 so 0.003 x 200 = 0.6 hp / 5 sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8C SRS FACE View Post
Don't even worry about aiming for heroes with it unless you have a clean shot. It's a fantastic move for last-hitting, as is popping Masochism right before you swing. 120 damage at level 2 is just plain mean.
Cleaver damage is not affected by masochism. That's how I interpret his stats and what I've seen in game; if this is inaccurate, I would love to be proven wrong and revise my playstyle.

@AmPriS - Mundo can definitely be built as a tank. It's all in your preference really. He would suck in an AP build, but I'm guessing you already know that.

EchoRex

02-17-2010

First, Mundo's passive, is .3 every second, not every five.

Second, he didn't say masochism affects Cleaver, he said it is great to pop right as you swing (AKA auto attack) at someone.

Reading, its a skill.

And no, Mundo is not a tank.

A tank can initiate and force a team fight. Mundo cannot.

Mundo can be built to stack up armor/resist and HP so that he can absorb a ton of damage, becoming near unkillable. At which point you completely wasted a champion slot building a champion that is not a threat to the other team due to exceptionally slow auto attacks, no team support, no real control effects, and no stand alone damage abilities.

It is a completely idiotic build theory for Mundo.

As for the OP...

The Cleaver goes exactly where you aim it, learn the hit box size and cornering/snap throw tricks.

Katarina: Get close. Kill repeatedly. This champion doesn't have the ability to stay near Mundo nor harass him unless fed to the point of not mattering anymore. Don't play scared, just charge over and over again spamming Cleaver.

Blitzcrank: The shield uses Blitz's mana pool to make a damage absorbing barrier, best bet is to pop masochism again and knock it off in one auto attack plus a Cleaver. Now that you torched his mana pool, all Blitz can now do is Power Fist you then try to flee.

Cho'gath: Nothing special at all early game. Land some cleavers, get close, beat his face in with your outrageous early game damage. This champion will be difficult to solo kill if he has Feast stacks and armor/resist items. The trick is entirely contained in how many Cleavers and how many auto attacks you can land in a short time frame.

Sivir: God tier champion, good farm, good AoE DPS, good Utility, and a low cool down spell shield to block half to a third of your Cleavers. Get fast, really fast, and position so that you can get an opening Cleaver hit and make a mad dash to her for an Exhaust and beat down. If you let her farm up, you lose to her ultimate and spell shield.

Tank Mundo. It doesn't work. Period.
_

Kesshisan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeb View Post
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleischer View Post
Today, 02:49 AM
Holy thread necromancy.