Champion Spotlight: Karma, the Enlightened One

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MyNamesSoda

03-29-2013

ok.

Kziki

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeland21 View Post
Agreed. Plus, it was usually a waste as you would have to be so grouped up that any ranged attack with an aoe effect hit most off (if not all) of your party.

Ex. Go for the heal, get gangplanked/ziggs ulted.
Which made it even harder to land. People tend not to group together for exactly those reasons. Nevermind how glitchy and unpredictable the cone actually was at times, hitting people was never easy even if they were standing close.

I do think that her new W should be castable on allies for some beneficial action, but it's not a critical need. The slow/root, AOE slow, shield and speed boost give her enough support capacity combined with a nasty sting on Soulflare to make up for her lost heal.

She's viable now. She can be played without ridicule. She's different, but that's the whole point of a relaunch. People complained when Evelynn was remade too, does anyone else remember that? How they wanted the purposefully-broken kit back because change is bad? Sejuani and Trundle are going to go through the same amount of whining, but they need the upcoming overhauls too. Karma just needed it more.

Rakatosu

03-29-2013

I just played the re-worked karma and i must say i am disappointed, her mantra's are now useless the one unique thing about her gone and her passive useless. her mantra were the reason i bought her. now her mantra have a 45 second cd and they only give a mediocre boost to her skills, and she can not even combo her skills cause since the mantra does not stack past 1.

C4ptainPand4

03-29-2013

Riot needs to update the splash arts of the other skins since she doesn't have fans anymore.

Pain is Orange

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

The biggest complaint about old karma was that your team did have to understand your potential, thats undeniable. What do I do with the line? You can shield? You ksed me to keep me alive with Q. Waaaaah: all of this was fairly common for a karma player to hear.

However, the fallback for a good karma was: with a small amount of items (most noticeably RoA and Frozen Heart), she was VERY hard to kill and had a HUGE teamfight presence (multiple heals, shields, and slows) And, if fed, could become near unkillable while doing TONS OF AOE DAMAGE.

New Karma has her pros and cons: for one, she no longer can reach a late game point of nigh-immortality, and her utility has been DRASTICALLY diminished. Rather than find yourself always with something to do in teamfights, there will be times you simply cant do anything more than you have, primarily due to her cooldown restrictions. However, your initial burst of spells feels more like a support: you will get one good shield/initiate off, probably a root, and maybe even an aoe slow (however unlikely). She will need some tweaking (currently one mantra with anything other than max cdr is prohibitively slow, and favors skrimishes, despite her toolkit leading to full-blown teamfight utility), but has potential. The fact that your team no longer has to know her toolkit well to maximally employ her is a welcome change, but I miss that absurd teamfight presence from old Karma. Time will tell

Pain is Orange

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kziki View Post
Nobody played Karma. It's provable that she was literally the least popular champion in the entire game. Hell, I'm pretty sure Evelynn was played more just for trolling purposes before her remake (which people complained about too). So you have a champion that nobody ever sees used, and expect everybody to know how every one of her abilities works, plus a comprehension of her totally unique resource system.

Without her team positioning perfectly, Heavenly Wave's healing cost was wasted frequently. Without someone knowing how Soul Shield's aoe burst worked, they would never get into positions for it to be exploited properly. People have a difficult enough time knowing how to use Thresh's lantern, but every single one of Karma's abilities demanded total and complete comprehension from every person on her team. No other support has that burden of knowledge shoved onto her allies - Soraka, Janna, Taric, Sona.. none of them need anyone to know how any of their mechanics work in order for their teams to benefit, but Karma required it. If you can't remember how frustrating it was having your team group up only to break apart just as you spent a mantra empowering Heavenly Wave to heal them, missing all but one or two people, you didn't play Karma enough and shouldn't be talking about her.

Not to mention her item needs. Every other support can make do with some GP10 items and lots of wards. Karma couldn't. She needed CDR for Mantras to be up frequently enough to be of use. She needed AP for her spells to scale well. She needed mana and regen since she ran dry very quickly. She needed health and resistances because she had relatively short ranges and poor escapes. In short, she needed every stat, and that required a lot of gold. Fine for a top laner or AP mid, but then she's not being a support anymore, is she? And there are definitely better top and mid choices.

Karma was a poor choice of a support. She always has been. There has never been a meta where she really, really thrived in, or was even just acceptable in. There likely never will be, not for her old kit anyways. Supports already rely on their teammates disproportionately towards other game roles, to rely not only on them doing their jobs but to know yours in and out is just problematic. I'm a terrible ADC player, but the ADC doesn't need me, as a support, to know how they work just like I don't need them to know how Sona or Janna works, so long as we can cooperate in the lane. If I played Karma, that changes, and not in any sort of a good way.
She could work well with a couple ad carries in her old form (most notably quinn, graves, and corki, who had a nasty habit of getting into the thick of things), but for the most part you did require your team to innately know how long your mantras were on cd for, what the beam did, etc. etc.), however, after a Frozen Heart and a RoA, generally Karma became fairly hard to kill short of having a full burst from someone like Ryze, which made her serve her team purpose well (they are using their AP nuke to kill the support). With some gp10 runes/masteries, you could get by, but your late game strength required you to a) take farm and get a full suite of items, at which point you could carry, or b) have a team that knew your toolkit perfectly. IF you had the latter, you would almost certainly win the game, as her utility to her team was DRASTICALLY higher than every other support. However, that rarely happened.

AkoSiJoHnCrit

03-29-2013

ummmm can u guys fix the bug with the traditional skin it says unavailable but is still usable

agbudar

03-29-2013

to be honest old karma was like a bruiser support mid type of character her skills did a lot of sustain/shield/dps type of stuff
i feel now she is way more of a mid/support much like lux or morgana can be played or oriana that being said i think aftera few weeks of play i do believe the 2 charges should be brought back
i somewhat feel its not very nice of riot to cater to a meta that is ever changing at all times it brings to much head aches if you ask me balance the champs out looking at teamfights/skirmishes/laning regardles of what lane you will still get stuff like counters but that should not be something build in from the start but thats a different subject

returning from beign side tracked
i much more prefer to have a charge per lvl of ult then 1 charge at all times with lower cdr now you have to be very agressive to pull out your maximum potential and even that after you use your skills

i stil wana play with karma the way she is now before i would come back with an extensive report so to speak

dyfrgi

03-29-2013

Hey Phreak, you should consider using gender neutral pronouns when referring to players. For instance, in this spotlight you said of helping the jungler with blue, "he'll really appreciate it". Maybe "they'll really appreciate it" instead.

Cookie Bandit

03-29-2013

Not sure if this has been posted already, my apologies if it has, but in the Tips section for Karma, "Gathering" (Gatering in Tips) is spelled wrong.

Cookie