Cannabalism and Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slyvery

03-28-2013

Two very powerful forces are starting to effect Lol. Cannabalism and diversification.

Diversification creates a wider product range allowing a company to branch into new unmolested piles of money in order to do what a business is designed for, seperating you from your hard earned cash. Riot has attempted this through three ways; Twisted treeline, Dominion, and soon to be the aram map.

Sadly this brings us to something that Morello has pointed out from the start of making new maps, cannabalism. This is the same idea of placeing a Starbucks directly across from each other. Your own products compete against each and bring the whole of the company down. I feel this is why Riot is dragging its toes in the mud. Lol is currently one of the most played video games in the world, no small achievement by any means so props to them.

This creates the issue though for the business analysist, such as myself, to say we have x money in SR and y players with z crossover to dominion. At what rate will Dominion grow and SR shrink in order for us to loose money or gain. Make no mistake SR tournaments bring in large monies and publicity. I also feel Lol is no longer growing but wishes to retain its player base now.

As a quick aside wtf is up with the talk of an urban map or even single player on the recent survey.

Tl;Dr - The cost benefit analysis does not orient itself to make Dominion ranked worth their time and effort to make more monies.

Riot must remember video games do best with not just great marketing or tradition they must be a quality and desired product (Ranked Dominion is desired btw)...for recent flops look at Diabo 3.

*As a quick edit cost can mean more then just money - it can be related to man hours required to create and maintain a certain system. This will lead to opportunity cost; which will ultimately determine what the devs work on.

Catnium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

In the end more game modes = more income because not everyone likes summoners rift.
That player base ( the one's that don't like sr or tt or dom or aram or any combination of ) would be a pile of untouched resources if they dint make any new game modes.
Plus there is no point in talking like ranked dominion would have a "maintenance"cost which it doesn't its a pretty much automated system that just runs and displays the ladder that's all it does and that's all the dominion community is asking for atm.
The rest can come later when there are founds for such things

wingstreet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

i like the view you took. not the normal qq thread. it's just sad that these awesome companies start out by supporting their communities and getting player feedback then turn in to cash cows. it's so common nowadays in gaming makes me a sad panda.

Without Logic

03-28-2013

I almost exclusively play Dominion. The speed at which the game moves is a lot faster. SR feels boring to me in comparison.

Any real world currency I've spent on this game has been for IP boosts to get more runes to play more Dominion. I am the proof that your analysis is wrong.

BigBananaBoat

03-28-2013

Riot gains money by people logging in and buying things. It dosnt matter which map is played, because the things you buy in the store are impartial to whichever mode you decide to play in. If I buy a skin, its not just for SR, its for DOM TT and ARAM. Same goes with everything else thats purchasable in the store. The moneymaking side of riot dosnt really care about which game you play, so long as your logged in and buying something play whatever the hell you want. The problem with dom and tt as well, is that why fix it if its never going to be played? Wasting money and resources on game modes that, even when freshly released, were not all that popular, dosnt make sense. A remake or rebalancing or even addition of ranked to dom wont ever make it popular enough to justify the resources spent in doing so. The resources spent could be applied to SR, where the majority of people play.

Catnium

03-28-2013

exactly what are these expenses/ resources you guys keep talking about ?

dint some riot dude once claim it could be done as easily as flipping a switch.
it probably take one or two guy(s) like a day orso to set it up and get it running on patch day.
It think during that same post we was led to believe that most of the work on the ranked system was already done

Chavez Obama

03-28-2013

OP makes some good points. It might not be what people on the forums want to hear, which is why I suspect people downvoted him, but that doesn’t make him wrong.

It would be hard to know what Riot’s business plans are, and they definitely don’t want anyone to know for sure. It seems logical to not want to devote too many resources to dominion, as it will cost them more money, and most of the players they would draw are likely from their own SR game mode. One would think that small amounts of maintenance are the most cost effective solution. Maybe our (community vs Riot’s) definition of small varies greatly.

Infirc

03-28-2013

the first post is right (not the Op, the post just below) i had some friends that weren't interested in Lol when dominion didn't exist and when they saw me playing dominion once "they wer elike whoaaa that's lol? i thought it was a boring mindless war against drones (that's how they call the minions) maybe i'll start playing it now" unfortunately i was a sr ***** at that time (those kind of guys that pick on the other non sr modes) even though i didn't like sr at all and scared them away from Dominion with a mostly colorful language. so they didn't star tplaying Dominion..nor lol at all.
one year passess and the same friends i mean all of them get keys to dota 2 they ask around and get the vage "it's just like elague of legends but a litttle more complex" answer, and they instantly dismiss dota2 and try to give away the keys in contests in their yt channels which of course fails becaus ethey had already used them

Moral of the story is: classic moba gameplay is definitely not attractive to new public, almsot everyone started playing lol just because their friends played it, the lane farming game is more of an adcquired taste that sometimes is never adquired, so more gamemodes or support to the current non-ckassic gamemodes would indeed attract a different player base.

Beurnii

03-28-2013

****ers

NamKim

03-28-2013

@The OP
First of all, I thank you for being mature and sharing your honest opinions on the matter. It is rare that I see someone who posts respectfully.

But I must disagree.

The idea that more maps will weaken League of Legends is not true. Your Starbucks example does not work in this situation since the two stores are the same. Summoner's Rift and Dominion are two different maps with two different play style. A better example would be Basking Robbins and Dunkin' Donuts. They often share the same building, but since they are both selling two different products, neither suffers. If anything, both benefits.

I suspect that majority of League of Legends players do not exclusively play one map. It may seem like Dominion players only play Dominion, but remember that DD and the Dominion forum only represents a small portion of the Dominion community, most likely the most extreme of the group.

The problem with people is that we get bored quickly. Which is good for a company since that means people will buy the newest thing around. The extreme SR players will still get to keep a high quality map. The extreme TT, HA, and Dom players should get their respected maps to "Riot standards." The majority of the League of Legends population would move between map modes depending on their mood.

I like to think of this as a bell-shaped curve. When you have more maps (that are supported), the population increases. But get too many maps, the population decreases.

I am confident that Riot's team of statistics can find that balance that maximizes population, which leads to maximized profits.

Edit: So, to say more maps causes harm is wrong. To create maps carelessly is what causes problems. Unfortunately, maps do decay and their quality diminishes over time. So, the longer Riot waits, the closer and closer Dominion heads to the "carelessly created" status.