Does Thresh suck?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am Singed Only

03-28-2013

Most of my Warcraft buddies have moved to LoL or Starcraft, so I've decided to take up LoL as my main competitive game in the long run over Yu-Gi-Oh and WoW. I started off with Sona, as it is the most suggested character to scrubs or noobs according to the game's difficulty scaling, but I really detested her gameplay after a while. When I asked my friends if they had any suggestions for better support classes, Thresh was the most recommended. He's not free mind you, and I don't like wasting money, so I've been slowly stalking gameplay footage of him, and I'm partially satisfied overall, but still undecided as to whether or not he's worth the ten pounds.

All suggestions are appreciated, and hello to the LoL world.

Techno Dragon

03-28-2013

Welcome to the League of Draven!

I play Thresh a lot in my ranked games, and I find he's a great pick for most occasions. (He's banned quite often in ranked right now)

Thresh requires a strong understanding of his kit, as well as teammates who understand how to use his lantern. He's got great poke, and keeps the enemy at bay if you show presence. I've saved so many lives because I tossed my lantern over a wall, and allowed my teammate to escape while being ganked by 4 opponents. I personally find he makes a great tank/initiator, and helps get my adc fed in most situations.

I'd recommend getting him if you're going to play support a lot.

I am Singed Only

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Dragon View Post
Welcome to the League of Draven!

I play Thresh a lot in my ranked games, and I find he's a great pick for most occasions. (He's banned quite often in ranked right now)

Thresh requires a strong understanding of his kit, as well as teammates who understand how to use his lantern. He's got great poke, and keeps the enemy at bay if you show presence. I've saved so many lives because I tossed my lantern over a wall, and allowed my teammate to escape while being ganked by 4 opponents. I personally find he makes a great tank/initiator, and helps get my adc fed in most situations.

I'd recommend getting him if you're going to play support a lot.
Would you suggest Thresh over Sona to a beginner?

Techno Dragon

03-28-2013

Thresh is much tankier, and can have a stun/pull at level 1, but it requires a lot of skill to land it properly. (Which makes him a little difficult for newer players) He has no sustain either, whereas Sona has a heal. (And sona provides some nice buffs) Sona also has a great ult + Poke from her power chord.

Stat wise, Thresh scales amazing well if he collects enough souls. (He gains lots of armour, extra damage on his passive hits, and ability power) Sona has one of the worst level 1 heath amounts in the game. So i'd say Thresh is better stat wise.

If you're willing to invest the time into your purchase of Thresh, and practice with your hooks, then he's worth the buy.

I am Singed Only

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Dragon View Post
Thresh is much tankier, and can have a stun/pull at level 1, but it requires a lot of skill to land it properly. (Which makes him a little difficult for newer players) He has no sustain either, whereas Sona has a heal. (And sona provides some nice buffs) Sona also has a great ult + Poke from her power chord.

Stat wise, Thresh scales amazing well if he collects enough souls. (He gains lots of armour, extra damage on his passive hits, and ability power) Sona has one of the worst level 1 heath amounts in the game. So i'd say Thresh is better stat wise.

If you're willing to invest the time into your purchase of Thresh, and practice with your hooks, then he's worth the buy.
So I'm confused. If you launch the hook, it will not always hit?

Techno Dragon

03-28-2013

His hook has a slight delay before it gets thrown, then travels in a straight line for a short distance. Timing and aim is key, as well as predicting where the enemy will be after that small delay. (If you throw a hook and it his a minion, you will pull the minion instead)

Hiryuu16

03-28-2013

The hook is a 'skill shot,' which means you need to aim it yourself, rather than it automatically following the enemy's movement ('targeted shot'). For someone new to the game, I would recommend Taric instead. At 1350 IP (don't spend real $$ on him), he's cheap and works well across a wide range of player skill.

Sadly, you missed Lulu as one of the free champions last week. She's a blast to play, but also expensive. Soraka (450 IP) is also common as a first support, and she's the only one with mana restore, but I find her too passive for my liking.

If you want to practice skill shots, I would pick up Morgana (1350 IP). She's usually played in the mid lane, but she's an okay support, too. She gets a lot of value from her skill shot, but has a solid kit even beyond that, so she's good practice.

derpyman69

03-28-2013

thresh is a better character once you are better at the game and better at placing shots. now if you are trying to get kills then im sorry sona taric and thresh arent really the champions you want. those are all support characters (though ive played thresh top a couple times :P ). really you should get annie ashe garen and a couple other champions which only cost 450 ip which will help you learn each lane.

SSJ Cerver

03-28-2013

I love/hate Thresh's pull. Then again any champion is good if you understand them and play careful with them.

I am Singed Only

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurrentialSaint View Post
I love/hate Thresh's pull. Then again any champion is good if you understand them and play careful with them.
So there's really no bad champion in LoL?