MSI or Asus Motherboards

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Záchary

03-26-2013

Looking to replace my EVGA x58 3 Way SLI motherboard. MSI and Asus motherboards have been catching my eye. Need some opinions on which motherboards from those brands have the same performance if not more than my current. Or anything really.

poe tay toes

03-26-2013

i have an asus and it's served me well so far, gf has the same one.

edit: suppose i should include that i shelled out for a couple upper-end motherboards, so i don't know about the one-two hundred dollar price point.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

03-26-2013

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSi both make some really nice boards right now. You might want to wait about a month, maybe two, for Intel's Haswell platform to hit the ground. It is a new socket, 1150, versus the current 1155 for Sandybridge and Ivybridge.

I am currently using an MSi MPower Z77, strong board with a lot of overclocking potential. Good for pushing beyond that 4.6Ghz clock speed.

MSi just announced a new gaming line of motherboards, with are loaded with features, and will top out at about $165 in cost. They aren't "designed" for speeds beyond the 4.6Ghz barrier, but if the individual processor you have is capable of 4.5 or 4.6, it will hit it on these gaming boards.

http://game.msi.com/product/motherboard/z77-gaming

Asus is in a good spot for the Z77 chipset, unless you are pushing super high OC, beyond that 4.6, there is no reason to get something like the Sabertooth though.

Záchary

03-26-2013

Oh sweet thanks! Yeah when I purchased my current motherboard I want to say it was around 200-300 and def IMO not worth it. Def will keep those mobos in mind. If there are any others out there worth mention please update.

And on another topic. If there are any guides or whatever to show you how to really overclock your computer. Would be greatly appreciated or just add me in game and can talk through that. Thanks again!

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Záchary View Post
Oh sweet thanks! Yeah when I purchased my current motherboard I want to say it was around 200-300 and def IMO not worth it. Def will keep those mobos in mind. If there are any others out there worth mention please update.

And on another topic. If there are any guides or whatever to show you how to really overclock your computer. Would be greatly appreciated or just add me in game and can talk through that. Thanks again!
If you get a K series from Intel, either their Sandybridge or Ivybridge, just Google the processor name with "overclocking guide" behind it. You will find a ton of guides. They are really simple to overclock these days.

Most Sandybridge processors can hit about 4.2Ghz without adjusting voltage or really anything else pertaining to the processor. Ivybridge will hit about 4.0Ghz without major adjustments. Both using a basic air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

AsRock has decent boards, just stay away from their Extreme4, it has some problems that they may or may not fix before moving onto the next Intel socket.

Really if you buy a board from Asus, Gigabyte, or MSi that uses the Z77 chipset and are above $120, you have solid overclocking abilities with it, as long as the processor itself is capable, and they are pretty feature rich.

Next

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

i like asus but thats just me. I do like the micro ATX boards from msi though