Urgot Tactics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Badnik

11-04-2010

Post your builds, runes, and strategies for Urgot here.

Those who succeed with him, I want to hear from.

Nazerbayev

11-04-2010

looks like he isnt that popular, i like urgot but he lacks something...
maybe he needs a stronger shield.
i mainly build him focusing around armor penetration since Q applies on hit effects.
Items:
meki pendant or doran's ring for effective harrasing early game.
boots
brutalizer
boots -> mercury
meki pendant -> manamune
youmu's blade
hextech gunblade (another slow ftw)
black cleaver
bloodthirster

With this you will easily do 300+ damage with white damage, have a little ap to buff up your shield and a nice chunk of life steal for survival and youmu's active skill will help you chase or flee.

Summoner spells are flash and ghost since urgot is slow as hell and easily focused since he "stands" a lot (just like gragas)

runes -> armor pen (red), mana regen/level (yellow) and cooldown reduction/level (blue)

rule of thumb: maintain a low profile (dont ever go ahead of everyone, thats the tank's job)

EDIT: i won some games with this build but neither i have played too much with urgot nor i know if this build helped to win the game

xahhfink6

11-04-2010

Gotta have armor pen marks and quints...

The only time I would advise playing him is if they have only a single carry on their team (which is a popular strategy now) If they had a team like Twitch, Galio, Amumu, Sona, and Kennen... rather than just going "FFS" and quitting, take your urgot, lane mid against twitch and be completely sure that he cannot hit creeps without losing 70% of his hp or dying. If he switches lanes, follow him, if he ults in a teamfight, ult him, if he tries to hide, get wards/oracles, if he tries to attack someone, debuff him. Your job as urgot is to be as huge of an ******* as possible, and destroying their team composition by making them effectively 4v4 all game. With their carry out of the way your team can stack MR and win.

For build, I generally start with a Regrowth pendant and a mana potion, and turn the pendant into Philo stone, then get boots and brutalizer. If i'm fed I'll rush a BF sword, but generally I'll start going more tank-like, finishing Shurelia's and getting a banshee's veil and youmuu's.

Lonely Electrons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-04-2010

I feel AP is horrible on him.
I build Meki Pendant CHalice (Extreme Q Spam FTW!)
Mercury Treads
Frozen Mallet (GREAT SLOW and no need to activate it )
Randuins omen
After that its generally open. Not tons of DPS late game but its enough with your passive in a 1v1 against Melee.

Badnik

11-04-2010

I like the input so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazerbayev View Post
looks like he isnt that popular, i like urgot but he lacks something...
maybe he needs a stronger shield.
He does feel like he's lacking something, but he's fun to play.

Shutting down the enemy carry seems like the role he plays best, and I've found weird situations his ult comes in handy.

TigerFreedom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2010

He can actually be quite powerful, especially against the squishies. Like the person somewhere above posted, just go with an AD build. The one I use rushes wriggle's, but I haven't tried anything else. Shoot an E at the crowd, and target your Q and you should be spam-nuking them for a lot of dmg. And you are attacking at the same time. His ult is rather useless, imo, as there are few situations when it is extremely useful. Good for saving teammates/chasing, I suppose.

Hannor

11-04-2010

I've been building him rather tanky with dps rune builds.
I focus on spreading around his passive and other debuffs where necessary.
Basically try to cause as much trouble for the enemy as possible. I am considering adding a black cleaver for late game tbh.

Most people consider his shield to be his worst quality, and I agree.

His ult is tricky and should only be used when it will win a teamfight or save someone. Some think it is useless and i find it most effective when used sparingly.

Aqualisk

11-04-2010

Armor pen marks and quints. I use health/level seals and mana regen/level glyphs.

Max Q first and ignore W until later. Level 2 E is much more useful early on. For items I like manamune early as Urgot is one of the few champions that can max it quickly. If you're afraid of this item just get a chalice. Follow that up with a Last Whisper (it now works with your Q) and from there you have some choices to make.

If you fed early get a bloodthirster. If you have not, or if you have and your team still isn't doing well, go for tank items. Randuins or Banshee's depending on their team make up. Urgot is a very solid 1 v 1 champion as long as you start the fights. Most ranged carries will be scared off by the heavy damage of your E + Q combo. This puts you in a good position because Urgot is great at chasing.

Always take ghost and/or flash. I personally take both as Urgot is a kite master and you can get a lot of kills while low hp if you use those both properly. I also highly advise that you try to get a solo lane. Urgot is much more effective when he can punish lower level side lanes.