Your opinion please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cute Gaymer

03-25-2013

A person close to me, is being sued for medical bills, because he broke a random woman's rib. (She looked in her 30's)
Now, it's not what it sounds like, I was there when it happened and I will explain.

We were walking home from the movies, when in a busy part of the city a woman fainted, luckily we were there as it turned out we were the only ones who knew first aid. Instinctively we ran there, in the time I hesitated he was there.

He went through everything right, checked for any immediate dangers asking people to back up, he did the routine response questions and nothing. Checked her airways, nothing was blocking them and she wasn't breathing. Straight away, he asked someone to call an ambulance and started CPR. During this process, he broke one of her ribs by accident, now this is a common mistake as you do have to put a lot of pressure on the pumps.

Once the ambulance came, we felt an urge to go with her, to make sure she was okay. When we got there, we decided to leave our contact information and left.
(We only expected to get some sort of sympathy call for either a "thanks" or a simple "she is okay" I honestly didn't mind getting anything)

Though, the next day he gets a call from the woman's legal adviser (or lawyer) explaining that she was passing charges on him for grievous bodily harm and to pay the hospital fees. Right now, he is considering just paying and not going to court about it, though I think he should go to court.

Now, the reason I am posting it here is just to get peoples opinions on the matter really.
As, I am a close friend, apparently my opinion may be completely biased.
Thank you for reading, looking forward to seeing replies.

nathanp1202

03-25-2013

I think this woman has no right to be mad or sue your friend. He attempted to save their life and succeded and she should be grateful not mad. Take this to court.

HetairoiAthenas

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanp1202 View Post
I think this woman has no right to be mad or sue your friend. He attempted to save their life and succeded and she should be grateful not mad. Take this to court.
pretty bad advice. leave the law to the lawyers, kiddo. nobody cares about your ignorant opinion

Acindo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Sadly I don't know pretty much anything about the law but let's see.

Speak to a lawyer before doing anything. I'd almost guarantee there have been cases exactly like this in the past. Depending on the circumstances he may have a legal foot to stand on and it might be worth fighting. But I repeat, talk to a lawyer.

Obviously this woman is a ****ing stupid cow and you're mate probably should of just left her ungrateful ass because I doubt she's gonna contribute anything to society. Good Samaritans routinely get shafted.

One of my fears is that ill get stabbed or shot some day trying to help some bastard I don't even know because that's just what I do.

kirby145x

03-25-2013

CPR very commonly breaks ribs. You should have known this if you were trained to do it. The act of helping someone carries the risk of injuring them. Depending on STATE LAW, you can be exempt from any penalty due to causing injury, if helping someone in immediate danger.

You do not need to talk to a lawyer to get this information. Look up your state law on this issue. It is black and white whether or not it is in your state law. Either your state has a law to protect people that help others, or it does not. If it does, then take it to court (again, lawyer may not be required to do so). Here it is called "good samaritan law."

Acindo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

This man knows what he's talking about. Gw.

SlamHannigan

03-25-2013

If CPR is properly performed, it carries the likelihood of cracking a rib or two. Even if this makes it to court, I doubt the woman could successfully sue.