Jungling question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foztog

03-27-2013

All lanes are pretty even after your first clear, which one is the priority gank? I've been told mid, but I find top lane to be more efficient.

Is there priority? If one lane is doing worse, should I go all the way across the map first before the gank the lane closest to me?

Martyrofsand

03-27-2013

Which ever one has the highest possiblity of success and will cost you the least amount of time as well as give up the least to the enemy team.

Sound confusing?

I use a priority that goes...

1--If I gank you're lane how likely is it to succeed or will it fail and just cost me my time, this is usually where you will factor in wards/is the lane pushed/etc etc.

2--Are you going to have to wait for a bit before you are able to gank. I'm all for waiting if it's reasonable but I'm not spending 3 minutes waiting for someone to finally be ready for a gank.

3--Is the lane countered. If the lane is countered I will camp the hell out of it to make sure we are not going into team fights in a 4v5, or worse 4v5 including a fed as hell *insert champ here*

4--What is the opportunity cost. IE if I gank your top lane is it going to cost our entire team a dragon, or a turret. Are we going to lose buffs because of it, could I be doing something far better with the time. Everything you do has a opporunity cost, and it's important to understand what that cost is when you make your decisions.

totalwar235

03-27-2013

somthing i like to do with lower levels is gank at mid and just run up the river to top. double gank that just does some damage will give a little be of an advantage to your laners.

Lord Puppy Fury

03-27-2013

As a non-concrete rule, mid is priority. Most enemy mids lack good escapes and most ally mids have good burst. There's no pesky lane bush for an enemy to juke in. Mids have the second strongest potential to apply global pressure after yourself. Finally, because it's in the middle of the map, mid's always sort of on your way to something. Therefore, you lose the least travel time ganking this lane.

However, if your mid lane is pushed, not warding, and/or terminally stupid, don't waste your time. If your mid laner is someone like a Nidalee who has no tools for enabling a gank and unreliable burst, adjust prioritization. If the enemy mid is someone like Vlad who's going to walk out of 99% all ganks, adjust prioritization. If your top lane has been countered and/or is someone who will snowball hard with a small advantage, adjust prioritization. If you see bot lane didn't bring any wards with them, go camp the **** out of them since bot is generally the hardest lane to gank otherwise.

Here's the thing about jungling: around minute three you're double buffed and level 3 or 4, frequently a level ahead of your laners. For one brief window of time, you are the strongest person on the map. As a jungler, you rarely if ever get a power spike like this again. You'll naturally be a little underleveled and hamstrung by the pauper's economy of the jungle. But at minute three, you are a god. Make this power surge count. At three minutes, which lane are you most likely to be able to pick up first blood in, either for yourself or your lane?

Madraac

03-27-2013

Some of the prioritization can or does come from whether you are red or blue team. If you start consistently as the red team, you naturally end up at the top of the map after you kill red buff. This leads itself to a gank at either mid or top. I tend to use what is closest for my priority, until I get at least boots one if not my lvl 2 boots, as you can lose a ton of XP and gold by running from one side of the map to the other to try to get a gank off.

The last sentence is very key, in that if you are 90% likely to secure a kill/assist, then it is worth the run, otherwise, it can be better to help zone a champ out at mid or continue within the jungle. Also, do not be afraid to state where you are going. If you are at the top of the map, let the bottom lane know you are on your way and to start backing off a bit to bait them into potentially overextending. Figure it is roughly 20 - 30 seconds to get their during early levels and that is plenty of time to let the enemy start to clear out a wave before the dive to push them further from their tower.