How do "you" play Gangplank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostDieM

11-05-2010

I notice there are a lot of Atma's in peoples builds,I'm curious as to why? It gives some nice crit chance but a cloak does the same. Since GP doesn't really have massive hp the other bonusses don't really seem worth it to me? Armor is nice but there are deff better items. I figure it's better to build a cloak into a Phantom dancer or if you really need a 'tank item' go for Randuin's or BV instead?
Sorry for hijacking this thread a little but I'm curious as to why GP should use atma's (A)

gallantgreg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2010

Well I love Frozen Mallet + Banshees Veil with Atma's for the survivability/utility/crit.
And it just so happens that the passive costs 825g and adds 62.06AD.

UXLZ

11-05-2010

My favourite is critplank, the build i tend to get for this is
brawlers gloves
onto zeal
agility cloak
merc treads
infinity edge
zeal into phantom dancer
bloodthirster
and usually by this point either side has lost or won.

This build actually has reasonable survivability, as with a fully stacked bloodthirster you are restoring around 250 hp per crit. Unless thery have huge damage bursters, Akali, another critplank, Annie etc, you will be able to survive most fights, and will be able to own almost wnyone 1v1.

GhostDieM

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
when you fill up your inventory you'll likely have at least one crit cloak. the three possible upgrades are: infinity edge, phantom dancer, or atma's. atma's is the cheapest and gives some attack damage. it doesn't have to give a lot if you're going glass cannon, but it's making parrrley stronger without needing an extra slot or a lot of gold.
Hmm I can understand that but then why not go zeal -> phantom dancer since that gives you some nice bonuses including dodge which means you won't be as dependent on armor?

PerAnon

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDieM View Post
Hmm I can understand that but then why not go zeal -> phantom dancer since that gives you some nice bonuses including dodge which means you won't be as dependent on armor?
PD is a little less exciting just because attack speed doesn't benefit Parrrley, while the extra damage from Atma's does. Also, costing 1k less is nice.

Krosan

11-05-2010

I've actually run Sheen, just because it's a huge consistent damage bonus for parrley shots.

But, looking back, I think letting the Sheen delay the IE was pretty poor return. Cloak would have been a better buy for the money.

MrToasty

11-05-2010

Well, just tried AP Gankplank (I'm working my way down the list) and it was a BLAST. I dominated. 10-4-7 or something like that. With only 27% CDR I was still quite hard to kill as I would heal half my health, especially after I got Spirit Visage. The cannon barrage was deadly as well and truly changed team fights. I went for whatever enemy healed themself to deny 50% of their healing power, then focused on low hp enemies.

malphismia

11-05-2010

the problem is he needs a lot of farm, so teamfights are 4v5 for awhile. Even if he does participate in a teamfight, he doesn't contribute much damage aside from 2 non-farmed parleys and his ult. And when he does get farmed late-game, I think a trynd with his exact build would do better.

just a few reasons why i dodge GP, if anyone can change my mind about his usefulness in solo q (not some premake setup) then feel free to enlighten me

GhostDieM

11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
the problem is he needs a lot of farm, so teamfights are 4v5 for awhile. Even if he does participate in a teamfight, he doesn't contribute much damage aside from 2 non-farmed parleys and his ult. And when he does get farmed late-game, I think a trynd with his exact build would do better.

just a few reasons why i dodge GP, if anyone can change my mind about his usefulness in solo q (not some premake setup) then feel free to enlighten me
You actually dodge GP? He's got a great single target nuke (Parley) once he gets some damage/crit going which is around mid game if he can farm during the laning phase. He's got a great ult which benefits your team greatly (though it's effectiveness is based on your team comp and the damage is somewhat inconsistent) if you communicate and he's got a nice team buff with Raise Morale. I think Trynd is more of higher risk-reward champion then GP. Yes Trynd does more damage vs other champs when farmed but chances are you'll also die a lot more (as demonstrated by all the Tryndafails out there) and an underfarmed Trynd is rather useless while GP at least still has his ult and can farm much safer and easier. I'd dodge Trynd before GP if I would actually do that

GhostDieM

11-06-2010

@ricklessabadon you seem to know a lot about GP (and indeed I see your name popping up a lot, for better or for worse ) so I've got another question, For the sake of experimenting, does Tiamat also work on GP's Parley? (I know Tiamat sucks bla bla but I'm just discovering possibilities here) And if so does the splash proc crits and does it crit all enemies for the same amount? Because that might make Parley an awesome minion farming tool

Edit: I ran a test and Tiamat procs on Parley, it also looks like the splash damage crits but chances are individually calculated for each target. Parley took anywhere between 1 - 4 targets out in a single shot, sometimes not being the original target which to me says that the crit chance is calculated separately for every target affected by the splash.
This actually gives GP great pushing potential and of course helps his farm. I'm going to test this in some 5 vs 5 matches to see if I can fit it in anywhere and wether or not it's worth it. Youmuu + Exec + Tiamat before Inf Edge gave some nice results, against bots anyway