Dominion Elo Tiers (and how to beat them!)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrololololoNoob

03-26-2013

This is helping me get in to Dominion. Thanks man.

Bukumber Express

03-27-2013

as far as your botlane goes, i've had lots of success with lux. once i get my cooldown items, i can pretty much keep my lane pushed and then choose whether or not i want to press and cap or hang back and defend without much worry for the consequence. i take ghost and revive just in case i get ganked, that way i can pop right back up and use the reach on her ult to stop whoever i'm laning against from taking my tower.

point wise, i don't do all that well unless i'm roflstomping my opponent, but i rarely lose my tower and can usually always snag theirs. i feel like botlane's job is to just defend that closest tower and try capturing the enemy's closest one. lux is p good at doing that, at least with my experience.

Birthday Deluxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

One other thing about low tier bot-laning is that teammates will sometimes come down to "help" if they see a lot of action in the bottom lane. There are a lot of things that can make this happen. They could see you racking up a lot of kills and dominating the other team's attention so heavily that they come down to try and get a piece of the action, or you could be pressuring the other bottom so much that they need a second person and your teammates may see this and assume you need assistance to deal with the uneven numbers.

It's true that people generally don't gank much at low brackets, but in my experience they'll come into the lane from the back end pretty frequently. Try to communicate to your team that a.) it is ultimately to their benefit to let you fight out a 1v2 unless you specifically ask or ping for help, and b.) they shouldn't "show" if they're going to come into the lane, but should instead come through the fog and enter the lane from the health relic or the enemy bot point.

Ryze can dominate most bottom lane opponents you'll meet in the 1200-1600 range since he can snowball hard and you don't run into champions who cause him trouble quite as frequently.

Low/Mid bracket players tend to play more aggressively and will try to kill you and cap your point a lot so they can carry. Higher bracketed players will obviously still capitalize on mistakes and generate offense when they can, but tend to play more patiently and are a lot more mindful of protecting their point and, if necessary, have no problem farming their lane and killing you mostly or entirely via ganks.

Of course, I got carried to high elo, so maybe my thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt xD

kavi

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koravel34 View Post
I have a working theory that the prevalence of hextech sweeper and grez's lantern also indicates what level you are playing at. The more there are, the higher you are.
Probably true; I tend to build hextech sweeper a lot more than I need to because I love it

Grez and Sweeper are at an excellent gold/stat price point and have friendly build paths, plus the active is op... not much to not like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birthday Deluxe View Post
One other thing about low tier bot-laning is that teammates will sometimes come down to "help" if they see a lot of action in the bottom lane. There are a lot of things that can make this happen. They could see you racking up a lot of kills and dominating the other team's attention so heavily that they come down to try and get a piece of the action, or you could be pressuring the other bottom so much that they need a second person and your teammates may see this and assume you need assistance to deal with the uneven numbers.

It's true that people generally don't gank much at low brackets, but in my experience they'll come into the lane from the back end pretty frequently. Try to communicate to your team that a.) it is ultimately to their benefit to let you fight out a 1v2 unless you specifically ask or ping for help, and b.) they shouldn't "show" if they're going to come into the lane, but should instead come through the fog and enter the lane from the health relic or the enemy bot point.

Ryze can dominate most bottom lane opponents you'll meet in the 1200-1600 range since he can snowball hard and you don't run into champions who cause him trouble quite as frequently.

People tend to play more aggressively and will try to kill you and cap your point a lot so they can carry. Higher bracketed players will obviously still capitalize on mistakes and generate offense when they can, but tend to play more patiently and are a lot more mindful of protecting their point and, if necessary, have no problem farming their lane and killing you mostly or entirely via ganks.

Of course, I got carried to high elo, so maybe my thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt xD
You're absolutely right. There's a point at which "helping bot" becomes "ganking bot". "Helping bot" is decidedly NOT helpful, unless they're offering to swap and your botlaner has something to offer top. If I get fed bot and bot starts turtleing, I'll try to swap lategame so I can get my dps to where it matters.

I love Ryze, I felt like putting him in, but I actually think he goes into the category of champions-good-at-every-Elo which I've kinda avoided mentioning. One of my best friends got to 1800 playing only Ryze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukumber Express View Post
as far as your botlane goes, i've had lots of success with lux. once i get my cooldown items, i can pretty much keep my lane pushed and then choose whether or not i want to press and cap or hang back and defend without much worry for the consequence. i take ghost and revive just in case i get ganked, that way i can pop right back up and use the reach on her ult to stop whoever i'm laning against from taking my tower.

point wise, i don't do all that well unless i'm roflstomping my opponent, but i rarely lose my tower and can usually always snag theirs. i feel like botlane's job is to just defend that closest tower and try capturing the enemy's closest one. lux is p good at doing that, at least with my experience.
That's very true. Lux can also defend a point for a very long time once she has items. I play her a lot when smurfing and even wrote a guide for dominion Lux (but it's long outdated now).

At higher Elo, tanky-cdr Lux with Iceborn is viable and fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrololololoNoob View Post
This is helping me get in to Dominion. Thanks man.
You're welcome!

wingstreet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

no ignite in 2000+? wat. imo it's a must to have an ignite top in solo q unless you wanna deal with things like swain, fiddle, voli, xin, without ignite.

Volandum

03-28-2013

You want to deal with Xin without exhaust? What's ignite going to do that exhaust won't do better?

Fiddlesticks needs to be CC'd, Volibear's passive should just be accounted for as extra health, and Exhaust works better vs Swain and Fiddle anyway.

Waii Nosferatu

03-28-2013

Good to see new blood adding to the dominion community, great stuff!

For Lower Elos, I would add...
1. Don't panic. When the points are ticking down, you need have a calm mind which can be hard to master.
2. Communication is Key
3. Learn the Rules of Engagement/ Capping

For high elo, I would add...

1. Knowing how/when to use revive, and timing the opponent's revive is huge.
2. you already touched on it, but knowing how to position is sooo important along with strong mechanics and knowing how to grab an opportunity when it knocks. You need good decision making as well as a quick reaction time for this mode
3. Not just knowing how to build for your champ, but how to COUNTER BUILD the other team is important.
4.Farming. Surprisingly, it actually makes a pretty big difference end game, and not a lot of people realize that. The difference can be having a BF sword or an I.E. But choosing the right balance between Capping, Grouping, and Farming is what makes a top player IMO.

wingstreet

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
You want to deal with Xin without exhaust? What's ignite going to do that exhaust won't do better?

Fiddlesticks needs to be CC'd, Volibear's passive should just be accounted for as extra health, and Exhaust works better vs Swain and Fiddle anyway.
give me numbers that prove exhaust is better on swain and fiddle please. xin i would agree. i really cant see how exhaust would be better vs fiddle at all. not to mention there is usually an overabundance of exhaust or garrison top. if you arent communicating over voice chat then lots of those get blown on the same target.

DSpyder

03-28-2013

30% less dmg = 30% less drain?

wingstreet

03-28-2013

is it better than the healing debuff and dmg from ignite? cuz im under the impression it isn't. nevermind not even close... ignite makes you heal 50% less and take (50 + 20 level) true damage over 5s. so no, exhaust is nowhere near as good vs champs like fiddle.

edit: may be closer then i expect due to the dmg reduce on exhaust effecting heal.