I need someone who is familiar with law

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

My Face Is OP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

This is probably the most hilarious thing that has happened on here.

Lets say you are stupid enough not to pay the cop a "toll" on the spot or he doesn't accept, who wouldn't get a lawyer right away to appear for them?

They may take away bail figuring you're a flight risk and will unicycle to another country that won't extradite you.

When they ask if you're feeling suicidal, you better say no. Ask Campirs mom about that bamboo suit.

stillnotCampir

03-25-2013

Lawyer for a $50.00 ticket OP

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Face Is OP View Post
This is probably the most hilarious thing that has happened on here.

Lets say you are stupid enough not to pay the cop a "toll" on the spot or he doesn't accept, who wouldn't get a lawyer right away to appear for them?

They may take away bail figuring you're a flight risk and will unicycle to another country that won't extradite you.

When they ask if you're feeling suicidal, you better say no. Ask Campirs mom about that bamboo suit.
What the hell country do you live in where you pay the cop?

That is not how it works in the USA, you are issued a citation, you appear before a Judge if you want to contest it, or you pay the fine at the Court House. In some cases you can mail in the fine with a copy of the ticket.

@OP: Go to the Court House, have them look up the ticket, they will issue you a new date to appear (in most cases). Make sure you appear at that new date, explain to the Judge what happen, and he may settle it as it originally would have been.

My Face Is OP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpir View Post
Lawyer for a $50.00 ticket OP
I have had to appear in court close to 50 times. I've appeared in court 0 times. No record, only had to pay a handful of times, and it always got taken care of

Of course for tickets, I'm not stupid. I pay on the spot.

Might be different if you don't have a lawyer on retainer but he would have avoided this.

He'll probably be the first person ever to get shanked in a holding cell while being processed.

stillnotCampir

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
inb4 fictitious paragraph about how you can pay cops

ProbabIyTerribad

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Face Is OP View Post
Of course for tickets, I'm not stupid. I pay on the spot.
I thought Sszraeszscha was the only OTer who lives in Tijuana.

stillnotCampir

03-25-2013

Quote:
@OP: Go to the Court House, have them look up the ticket, they will issue you a new date to appear (in most cases). Make sure you appear at that new date, explain to the Judge what happen, and he may settle it as it originally would have been.
Does this work in the states? If you have a warrant here you can't just "get a new court date" lmao. This kind of defeats the purpose of a warrant.

My Face Is OP

03-25-2013

Quote:

That is not how it works in the USA, you are issued a citation, you appear before a Judge if you want to contest it, or you pay the fine at the Court House. In some cases you can mail in the fine with a copy of the ticket.

I live in the U.S. and this is exactly how it works.

Lets just say "hypothetically" I get pulled over for something illegal.

I say to the officer "man my uncle (or someone else) told me about this fine. What is it (name a price). Take it out and hand it to him. Add some annoying stuff in like "I can't afford this right now" If they are more annoyed with you they are happier to take your money from you for the "fine.

If they tell you there is no "fine" you aren't doing anything illegal and will just have to go through the court system. But 95% of the time, if you make them want to take the "fine" by not liking you, they will.

This is exactly how our country works and works for everything. Lets just say hypothetically, I would pay "fines" for holding illegal poker games all the time.

stillnotCampir

03-25-2013

called it

My Face Is OP

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpir View Post
called it
Great, now you'll have something to share with your roommate tonight when you guys are cuddled up in bed.

Wasn't hard to call though. I usually give explanations when I'm called out on something. It would be like you getting called on something and me going "inb4dodge"

It wouldn't really be a psychic revelation considering it always happens.