Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
All the people saying that they don't play a champ because of his visuals, congrats! You got exactly what you wanted.
Yeah, both of them.

silenthunt

03-25-2013

I can get on board with the model changes, but at the very least that colour scheme for both the traditional and new skin need serious improvement. That shade of pinkish purple on traditional Trundle's hair is frankly offensive to the eyes.

Melancholy Exile

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicariousxD View Post
I have to wonder, of what purpose is this rework? Not to point fingers and call names, but it is more-or-less apparent to me that it is based off of a semi-corporate motive.
Oh course it is. Designing characters and skins is always a semi-corporate endeavour.

While they obviously want to make money, can't you also see the sense in making Trundle more visually appealing so that those players you acknowledge "have not attempted to use him" actually give the guy a shot? You enjoy him, maybe they will too. Don't you want more people to play Trundle?

Heimerdinger's rework is still in development, but Trundle's is simply visual, rather than changing him from the ground up, and thus has taken far less time to complete. As he has had his place in the lore altered to bring him closer to Freljord, it makes perfect sense for them to be releasing this redesign now alongside Sejuani's redesign, The Howling Vortex and, presumably, Lissandra.

FatedTitan

03-25-2013

There's more than two of them. When questioning Trundle players about the rework earlier this year, Reds only responded to people who complained about his visuals. They never responded to true Trundle players' desires.

Nightcipher

03-25-2013

One very important thing that people seem to have forgotten is that previously, Riot's lore teams have been spread out and disconnected (For a prime example, look at Jayce's lore and how it makes Viktor look, and then contrast that with Viktor's own lore). It led to the scattered state of the lore that we can now see today. While it is unfortunate that this happened, Riot is now trying to fix their past mistakes and consolidate their lore base before they spread out further in the future. In my opinion, they had far too many champions that were the solitary representatives of their region just to try and get a name for every spot on the map (old Karthus lore, Zyra, Trundle, Zilean, etc) without having a solid representation of the city-states themselves. Seeing as the League of Legends is, in effect, a political forum for managing conflict using champions as proxies for actual armies, it would make far more sense that you would have the two primary types of champions: those that the League has captured and contained for the public good of Valoran (like Kog'Maw and Cho'Gath) and those who are there in exchange for a boon for their home city state (like Jayce, Darius, Garen, etc). There will be some oddities, such as those champions from the Shadow Isles, but by far the vast majority should (and as Riot's lore direction is going, will be) representatives of a city-state.

For the lazy TL;DR: Riot is working to consolidate their lore base from the scrambled mess it used to be into a more cohesive story. Once this is done, we will likely see more champions from outlying areas away from civilization.

Camkazi

03-25-2013

Im going to be honest, I dont really like the look of the visual rework, I think they made trundle far too buff. Trundle was the underdog, he was outcasted by his tribe even after accepting their curse, in the end he was sick of being picked on and left them to their fate. This is trundle too me, the underdog who wasnt going to take **** from anyone anymore. He even felt like this to play, he wasnt strong, he wasnt even all that smart, but he had guts charging headlong in with his club over his head, thats what it felt like to play him, and even his kit felt like that.

I can see you have already put in alot of effort into this current new look, and you wont change it, I just thought you might want to know the opinions of somebody who played alot of trundle in season 2.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
So, apparently, people know Trundle's entire new lore and all its differences from Quinn's quick glimpse of him...

Anyone consider that Quinn miiiight not know Trundle's entire story? Maybe that Quinn just sees trolls as trolls and that they're all alike in personality to her?

Just saying.
His old lore is an underdog rejected hero from a wilderness tribe, while the new model is his opposite on the troll strength scale and places him as a troll king in Freljord.

Things look bleak for Trundle as he was.

jujitsu788

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
There is so much of the Freljord Quinn has yet to see, and she has already encountered trolls! What started as a simple reconnaissance mission seems to be turning into something more sinister. This worries me - what else might she find on her travels?

I dare not utter my worst fears. If Prince Jarvan knew what was happening, I think his heart might skip a beat. Poor Jarvan, sitting all alone in his chambers - I hope he finally takes the opportunity to write Quinn back!
Any possibility that we'll see journals from other champions?

I think it wouldn't be too corny for Vayne could keep a diary on her ceaseless crusade against dark magic and the progress of her "purge" of the League of Legends. Ahri or Zyra could also catalog their experience with the humans of Runeterra.

Mdhe

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
You enjoy him, maybe they will too. Don't you want more people to play Trundle?
Not at the cost of everything I liked about the character's lore. The wider visual appeal wasn't needed. If people legitimately weren't playing Trundle because they didn't like his theme, I say too bad for them. He was unique and interesting and if players can't see that through his ugly veneer, then they can play one of the other hundred-and-some characters that are prettier. There's nothing unique about the new Trundle; he's just BIG TROLL MAN HIT WITH STICK. All so they can fit him into a one-time story then never revisit him again.

There's still time to make this an April Fool's joke, Riot.

Jugular Severage

03-25-2013

I'm going to be honest, I love Trundle as he is now, a decaying troll, but I am not complaining in the slightest here, hell, I even love the new model, I cannot wait to see what you guys do with the design and gameplay with this upcoming update.