Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlightlySuicidal

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
Why is this GARBAGE getting upvotes?

This is outright VANDALISM of a champion, Riot. Trundle's story was unique, as you admit. But you can't be having with that, despite your protestations that you don't want LoL to just be another generic fantasy setting, so you dump all that and just make him a generic ice troll king. Screw that. This is the same trash you did to Karthus- you can't handle the idea of a champion who comes from outside the tiny world that every other champ comes from (in his case, the Howling Marsh) so rather than take the opportunity to expand your world, you prefer to contract it instead (now he's a retarded death fetishist from the Shadow Isles because that's where ALL the creepy undead weird guys come from).

You yourself said when you released Trundle you want Runeterran trolls to be something unique and you succeeded. They weren't marauding monsters, they were pitiful cursed creature who were more of a nuisance than a serious threat. Trundle's story was great, he wasn't a generic troll warlord, he was the tribal pariah who sacrificed himself to save them from their disfiguring curse, only to find himself even MORE of an outcast, seeking salvation from his pain in the League. But apparently that was too interesting so NOW HE'S A GENERIC TROLL WARLORD.

You said he was "disconnected from the rest of the world". That's YOUR fault, Riot, because you didn't put in the effort to connect him to thre rest of the world. And no, that's NOT what you're doing now, now you're just throwing the baby out with the bath water, running a new bath and adopting a new baby. If you wanted him to be connected to the rest of the world, what about, oh I don't know, WRITING SOME MORE LORE THAT CONNECTS THE RHUGOSK TROLLS WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD?

You know what this reminds me of? Marvel, Spider-Man and Mary-Jane. After Peter Parker and Mary Jane got married, Marvel complained that they couldn't write anything about them, that she "constrained" him and the marriage was "boring". So what did they do? Did they actually ATTEMPT to try and write interesting stories with the material they were given, rather than just making MJ sit around at home going "oh poor Peter, where is he, I'm so worried about him"? No, they decided the MARRIAGE was the problem rather than the crappy writing so they went to STUPID lengths to get rid of it, eventually ending up in having Peter sell his marriage to the devil. That's what you're doing here. You feel a bit of lore doesn't work, so rather than actually making even the tiniest effort to attempt to FIX it, you just dump the lot and rewrite it as something more generic and boring. "The Rhugosk trolls don't really fit in with the rest of the world? OK, dump that lot, we'll just stick' em in Freljord, plenty of room there for any number of unspecified threats that can remain "connected" to the League. Wait, so Trundle's 'diseased leper' aesthetic doesn't really fit any more? OK, screw that then, just make him a generic snow troll warlord and give him a magic club which we can say is evil to justify his 'Cursed Troll' tag."

I am ANGRY about this, Riot. This is honestly inexcusable. You are making a concerted effort to throw the lore under the bus and make your once interesting game as generic, boring and bland as you possibly can. No, the "Traditional Trundle" skin does NOT make up for this retardeded violation of established canon.

Nope, they're scrapping everything. There's no way to reconcile the new lore with the old lore, so Trundle is basically being completely replaced. I bet all his abilities will be renamed to non-disease-related versions too because he's not "the Cursed Troll" any more, he's just a generic troll.
Came to upvote this from my phone. I'm shocked that this drivel is the direction they want to take the champ and that people actually like it. Its half assed and lame. Might as well slap some boobs on him now since that's what sells.

EpicLegionary

03-25-2013

Sweet! I've just received my free Riot Points!

>> FreeRiotPoints.me <<

Deafiler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
So, apparently, people know Trundle's entire new lore and all its differences from Quinn's quick glimpse of him...

Anyone consider that Quinn miiiight not know Trundle's entire story? Maybe that Quinn just sees trolls as trolls and that they're all alike in personality to her?

Just saying.
Trundle wouldn't mindlessly destroy villages and slaughter countless innocents. Trundle had a club, not a chunk of ice. Trundle had super-leprosy, constantly sloughing off chunks of his body and regenerating them, which I can guaran-****ing-tee Quinn would've noticed.

This isn't Trundle. This is some new generic champ that has no reason to exist.

Chibodee Crocket

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
This is something we are still working on, the lore team has lots of ideas for him that are still in progress. I think no matter what he's still gonna have character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibodee Crocket View Post
So help me god if this ends up being another pathetic bad fan-fiction styled lore there will be hell to pay. I can already picture them trying to pretty him up by making it so he ends up having the curse dispelled so that he will become a more popular skin candidate for sales.

Trundle players and lore fans are watching this carefully.
Damn I was close, looks like they removed his diseased skin to help champion sales.

Zerglinator

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafiler View Post
Trundle wouldn't mindlessly destroy villages and slaughter countless innocents. Trundle had a club, not a chunk of ice. Trundle had super-leprosy, constantly sloughing off chunks of his body and regenerating them, which I can guaran-****ing-tee Quinn would've noticed.

This isn't Trundle. This is some new generic champ that has no reason to exist.
Gonna be honest, in all the times I've seen Trundle in game...and I HAVE seen him in game multiple times...I never really noticed the falling off chunks of his body and then regenerating. He looked ugly and diseased, sure, but I never saw what you just described.

And hey, that wasn't even my point. My point was that his lore MIGHT NOT BE terribly generic troll king stuff. He could have some sad story about his rise to becoming troll king, some darker reason he slaughters villages. I dunno. And Quinn certainly doesn't know.

But no, I'm sure he's definitely some generic champion who shouldn't exist solely because YOU don't like him. Yep. First appearances and champ sneak peeks ALWAYS perfectly define the champion, right Elise? Elise says yes.

Koronisz

03-25-2013

I personally would have preferred to have another fictive "Troll Warlord" who met Trundle and asked him to rally his kind to form a new empire. Even considering Trundle is a good guy and that Warlord is vicious and barbaric, he accepted to ally his clan because of starvation hitting the land or something.

Arcane Azmadi

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
I share your frustration and agree with your points, but it you are a bit too incendiary against Riot.

But yeah, this isn't Trundle: this is almost his opposite.
Why shouldn't I be incendiary against Riot? They just KEEP DOING THIS SH*T.

Poor Karthus was changed from one of the most mysterious and intriguing champions in the game to some dipsh*t who loves death and wants to kill the world. Oh and he was moved to the Shadow Isles because apparently the Howling Marsh made the map too big.

Don't even get me STARTED on "Passion Princess Katarina". From the deadly, cold, beautiful Sinister Blade of Noxus, to an overeager screwup who disgraced her family. At least we somewhat raged them back into line on that, the original draft was AWFUL before we shouted at them enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
Man, Trundle just got outright -deleted-. Riot, why such drastic changes? I mean, I felt like Karma's VU was out of line, but this is completely absurd!
Yeah, at least Karma's VU made an ATTEMPT to preserve the theme and backstory of the champion. She was still based around inner spirituality, she was still an important Ionian leader etc.

But this? This isn't even VAGUELY related to Trundle. He's not diseased. He's not the tribal martyr. He's an ice troll warlord.

Jixson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

A visual upgrade to one of my favorite champions and it actually looks good?

Finally. Thank you Riot for not screwing up another champion(Soraka, Annie,Karma, TF) with the Visual Upgrade.

Now don't go messing with his skills unless you actually make his ult more whelming as it has always been underwhelming. It is a great ult, but it feels so meh to use it on anyone.

Get Ðunkd

03-25-2013

As long as you don't take away his pillar i am ok.

SirWhaley

03-25-2013

The new icy look is cool, but I feel like trundle is losing his outcast status that made him interesting. I like him small and muppet-like.