Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElevenOfClubs

03-25-2013

I'm throwing this out there (playing devil's advocate):

Nothing in Trundle's old Lore precludes the Ruhgosk from being placed in Freljord. It is inconsistent with his visuals, but the lore itself has no relationship with geography.

Secondly, Trundle's old lore (but not his judgement) had him as a hero for the Trolls. He can be a monster to the humans of Freljord; maybe the tribe would not have survived without taking this food. Maybe the humans, emboldened by the rise of their Queen, started taking what scraps of land belonged to the trolls, and only now face Trundle's vengeance.

Finally Trundle is very much not a hero in his judgement. It paints him as monstrously bitter over his sacrifice, as ever afterwords he is quietly shuned by his tribe who his so disturbed by the reminder of the pain and disease they bore.

If you assume that the Judgement is still cannon (that is, he made a noble sacrifice and was shunned for it), I can see "Trundle goes north, finds a new tribe, and uses the skills he's learned in the fields of justice to make himself a King" to be a quite interesting and natural development. Especially if he DID find a cure for his disease in the two years since we've had any lore releases on Trundle.

I'm not saying Riot isn't retconing Trundle (they are, at least enough that I'm guessing most fanfiction about Trundle just got joshed). I'm just point out that there exist plausible ways to to reconcile this story with his old Lore if you want to.

And for what it's worth, I'd support the changes even if they couldn't be reconciled. "Troll King struggling to keep his people alive and thriving in a snowy wasteland filled with an enemy race" has more resonance with me than "random troll tribe heaped all it's disease on one guy who now seeks a cure."

Edit: I actually prefer his old model, based on what I'm seeing here. That tripod walk had a lot more personality.

XuanBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Sivir : What the ...Troll

Will you guys rework Sivir's model before the end of S3 ?

Rex Draconem

03-25-2013

I am concerned about his abilities. They made since with his decay theme, but how will they fit with an ice theme?

Q: his club has some magic properties that let him leech from those who are struck by it, ok

Pillar of **** -> pillar of ice, ok

Smash club on ground, area of power comes forth from it, ok

but his passive and his ult I do not see how they can be redone and keep who trundle is...

oh well I have faith that they will not disappoint the SSoTP...

they would be wise not to upset the order....

Mugguffen

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringey View Post
Morello:

Will I have time to earn the IP to buy Trundle and Sejuani before they're released with the "Original" skins?
My reasoning: I remade my account on EUW because of the lack of NA>EUW transfers, my NA account had Trundle and Sejuani but I didn't get round to buying them yet on EUW. I'll be very sad if I miss out on the skins coz of this. Please respond .

like the karma rework it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before it goes live, that should be plenty of time

Apaulcalypse NOW

03-25-2013

Ok cool really cool actually i like it....but where is the sejuani rework model? she is one of my faves so i was really looking forwards to that..

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Yay Riot. Bringing things together. I'm so proud. If you keep this up, maybe your lore at last won't be the worst thing since Twilight.

On a more serious note- I've really been enjoying this. You're doing a really good job kicking up a storm with your various new stunts. Keep up the good work. I hope you keep updating old champions with newer and better lore that more usefully explains what is going on in the world.

Tehpersuns

03-25-2013

So far, I'm not opposed to this.

But if I can jungle without potions and turn the enemy tank into the squishiest target, I will be sort of mad.

I just can't hate that dance, it's the cutest thing ever!

Zan Vorez

03-25-2013

I don't even want Lissandra anymore. GIVE ME SHARDS OF BLACK ICE TO IMPALE MY ENEMIES UPON! ICE WITCH F-YEAHHHHHHHHH!

GreekAsTheGods

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Draconem View Post
I am concerned about his abilities. They made since with his decay theme, but how will they fit with an ice theme?

Q: his club has some magic properties that let him leech from those who are struck by it, ok

Pillar of **** -> pillar of ice, ok

Smash club on ground, area of power comes forth from it, ok

but his passive and his ult I do not see how they can be redone and keep who trundle is...

oh well I have faith that they will not disappoint the SSoTP...

they would be wise not to upset the order....
Ice Trolls in DnD still had troll regen, which is what his passive is designed around. And there's many ways that freezing cold could be said to reduce defenses. Frostbite slowly "burns" over time.

Mega Sceptile

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackBacon View Post
If you are disappointed with Trundles lore "changes", read this:

It seems everyone is complaining about how Trundle is no longer a good guy/heroic outcast. Did you read his judgement? Trundle is a tragic character, not a victorious one. He sacrificed himself for his tribe the first time sure, but he abandoned them all to die the second time. He's not a troll messiah here, he's a failed redeemer. His original lore is definitely a "bad end" story.

Now we don't know any specifics of his new lore. We know he's leading trolls and killing humans, but we don't know any of his reasoning. Did the humans deserve it? Were they killing troll babies? Who knows! At the very least he will be a good guy from the trolls perspective.

This new lore thrust has been really awesome. If you have lore concerns, it is your responsibility to at least have the original story correct. Saying Trundle was some awesome good guy is like saying Warwick is misunderstood. It's just not accurate. Let's all keep an open mind here and see what comes.

Of course none of that really applies to the visual side of things. That is a much more subjective area and while I really like Trundles new look, I can definitely see why people wouldn't. I'm really glad Riot is doing the Traditional skins, it was great for Karma and it looks great for Trundle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
So ... what story did Trundle actually have left to tell?

He wasn't looking for a cure (He says as much in his Judgement) and had completely disowned his tribe and any continuation of their story in the Ironspike Mountains - a region with little relation to other characters. Beyond making him someone who randomly shows up in someone else's story, where did he actually have to go?

Someone downvoted both of you. Shame on them.

These two have it absolutely right, people. Stop all of your crying, you all sound like a bunch of entitled little brats. How about you stop and THINK for a moment about what this could mean?

If they're doing to Trundle what they did to Karma--FURTHERING her lore, NOT changing it--then chances are, he still keeps his original story.

The Howling Marshes and Ironspike Mountains are not at all far away from Freljord. What if, in taking all of the disease, he took on all of the regenerative properties as well? What if Trundle's condition cured itself over time? What if he ended up finding a cure without even looking for it? Kitae has said it's been about 2 years since original story and this latest telling with Quinn and Valor.

Two years is plenty of time for Trundle to have gotten his **** together and to take over troll tribes. In his judgement, he wanted to be seen as a savoir of his people, but they shunned him for taking on their burdens. Well, if he becomes the Troll King, guess what? He's now seen the way HE WANTED TO BE SEEN.

People need to knock it off with the doom and gloom until we actually see what they do with the lore.