Stuck in Silver after 150+ games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sevenclick

03-25-2013

I have read plenty of whining ELO Hell threads, but I am going to try to keep this from becoming one. I have been in Silver 4 for over 150+ games. I believe in statistics and numbers, and this is my true skill level (as long as the ELO system is working correctly in a multiplayer game). However, I would like to get better. I just don't know how to...

In order to climb the ELO ladder, I've mainly played Ryze either mid or top. I know match ups like the back of my hand. Against most APs I stack mana and get a surprise first blood around level 3-4. Against ADs with sustain I just farm and harass as best I can. I know what skills to dodge and I have a good feel for cool downs on most champions.

STILL, I lose mid probably 30%+. I honestly think that anyone says that they always have good games is lying. I really don't see how its possible. My win % is higher than my losses, but there are so many variables in what determines what type of game I am going to have. Usually, when I lose my lane it is for a variety of reasons: 1) our jungle is oblivious to mid lane, and their is exceptionally good (dodges wards, takes the non-brush angle); 2) top or bot helps out by ganking mid early, and I am either zoned or forced to go back to base and lose a farm/level advantage; 3) I get sort-of counter picked and am forced to play passive and farm, and some other lane winds up determining the game; 4) My jungle farms my lane and pushes when I recall or am otherwise out of lane, I lose 2+ waves and am behind; 5) I play bad and miscalculate an all-in early, lose, and fall behind for the game; 6) I play well, get fed, and the team loses because of a bad comp (no initiator for fights, bad objective/tower control). Most of these reasons are out of my control.

I think I have a decent knowledge of the game. I have played other champions, know the use of all the items, and counter certain team comps by varying my build. I know champ skills and cool downs, and refresh my knowledge by looking at guides during loading. I can tell before the game when we have 4 "carry-type" champions without cc and they have a true tank, support and carrys, we are at a disadvantage, but can still win with good decisions. I ward early and often. I put wards in their jungle. I ignore toxic players (and really people say that you can lead these players, but in a game where you are like 1/2/0, you just get trolled and no one listens to you because "you are bad with bad kda."). I support other lanes when I am doing well by roaming and ganking. When I am behind I farm like hell trying to get myself back into the game. I know that every minion kill counts and I do my best not to miss any (and this is obviously something almost everyone can get better at).

All that said, I don't know what more I can do to improve my rating. Any constructive feedback is much appreciated, I will do my best to respond. I would really like this to become a thread about figuring out how to get better. Thanks!

SeCKS Egai

03-25-2013

Even in my custom games against the beginner ai, I still catch little mistakes that can translate into big ones when it comes to ranked.

In any game I lose, I can identify problems my teammates had, but also notice my own. Sometimes the right answer is pretty clear, but other times I'll have to really analyze a situation to realize what I could have done or said to have changed the outcome.

And of course some games are beyond saving, but those are few and far between.

Whenever you lose, or even as far as whenever you're killed, look over the situation. If you have trouble finding things you can't improve, you probably aren't looking hard enough. Even in games I win I see things I should have done differently.

In order to improve you need to be able to recognize what you need to work on. Questions like, "Was that death worth it?" or "Was that fight worth the risk" should be coming to mind.

Davox

03-25-2013

The best thing to get better is to analyze ur replays u make from ur games played. look what can be better and improve. thats how i did it. now im in diamond v on EUW. and came from silver III. i play nain support. and looking at my replay really shows mistakes.

Elsabet

03-25-2013

I think it's harder to be consistent in Mid than maybe anywhere else. If you find yourself losing your lane 30% of the time, try a different position. Maybe as a Jungler you'd have a positive impact on your team 80% of the time. Maybe as Support, 90%. It's definitely tempting to go with a solo lane when you feel you are better than your rating. Try Top. It's more isolated. It's much more of a pure duel in that it gets ganked less often and is easier to ward anyway. If you wanna be passive go Nasus, Yorick, Cho and just hang out and farm. If you wanna be aggressive get Jayce or Darius and be a bully. Get good at one of these styles and you can "win" your lane more than 70% of the time.

If you want to stick with Ryze in mid, try not to pick before the enemy mid. (Don't get countered.) Most people own Ryze so try to trade with a teammate. Encourage a teammate to play a good initiator who can soak damage. You shouldn't need your Jungler in order to survive and farm under tower if needed. You should be very tough to dive because of your snare. Snare, ignite, flash away. Bam- they're dead to turret. Or they accomplished nothing. If you can't handle farming under tower or find yourself getting zoned, play a different champ who doesn't have these issues. For instance, Heimerdinger is almost impossible to zone and can farm easily under tower. Just an example. But if you want to definitively win your lane more than 70% of the time, at your rank, you're going to have to be able to do more than fight 1v1; that's for getting out of Bronze IV.