Can't play on official client due to keybindings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

montezuuma

03-24-2013

Hello, i recently picked up the official mac client. However, i am left handed and play with the mouse in my left hand. So obviously i cannot play with default keybindings. Therefore, i have become very accustomed to playing with special keybindings i set. However, in the official mac client it does not let me set the move command as Command click, or anything with the command key in it for that matter. The reason why this is such a problem is because as everyone knows, mac mouses are only a one button mouse, therefore mac players must use the command key + click to move. Another problem is that since i use the arrow keys to move the map it does not let me move the map while the command key is being held down. I found a solution to this in the unofficial client by simply setting the secondary keybinding for Scroll Up, Down, Left, and Right as Command + Up, Command + Down, etc. However, as i previously stated, command is not a bindable key for some reason. so all i ask is that this is fixed so i can effectively play again. Thank you

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuuma View Post
Hello, i recently picked up the official mac client. However, i am left handed and play with the mouse in my left hand. So obviously i cannot play with default keybindings. Therefore, i have become very accustomed to playing with special keybindings i set. However, in the official mac client it does not let me set the move command as Command click, or anything with the command key in it for that matter. The reason why this is such a problem is because as everyone knows, mac mouses are only a one button mouse, therefore mac players must use the command key + click to move. Another problem is that since i use the arrow keys to move the map it does not let me move the map while the command key is being held down. I found a solution to this in the unofficial client by simply setting the secondary keybinding for Scroll Up, Down, Left, and Right as Command + Up, Command + Down, etc. However, as i previously stated, command is not a bindable key for some reason. so all i ask is that this is fixed so i can effectively play again. Thank you
Mac Right Click
I'm willing to bet real money that the bulk of mac gamers use mice with two buttons on them. The latest apple mice, ill suited to gaming as they are, actually support right clicking (or in your case, left clicking), through an option in System Preferences. I highly recommend you invest in an ambidextrous or lefthanded 2 button mouse that's suited for gaming, or configure your current mouse to handle the second click.

By default, macs do support ctrl+click as right click, but not cmd+click like you keep stating above. Of course you can change your keybindings to swap the cmd and ctrl keys around, but that is not the default.

Movement Keybindings
I also use the keyboard to move the map (though I use WASD rather than the arrow keys, as I'm right handed), and I can confirm that you are unable to hold down cmd while pressing the arrow keys.

This is caused by the fact that cmd, much like ctrl/alt/shift, is a modifier key. LoL allows you to bind things such as ctrl+Q to level up skill Q, or shift+Q to smartcast skill Q. Thus, when you hold down cmd and try to press an arrow key, it thinks you're trying to press cmd+arrow, which isn't bound to anything.

To fix this, simply go into keybindings, and add cmd+up, cmd+down, cmd+left, and cmd+right as alternate keybindings for up/down/left/right. This will give you the functionality you desire.

That said, your habit of habitually holding down cmd during play so that your clicks become right clicks is going to get you into trouble. Imagine you're mid combat as a support, and you press S to stop your champion from autoattacking and stealing CS from your support. If you happened to be holding down cmd when you did this, it wouldn't register (because the game thought you pressed cmd+S), and you'd make your lanemate quite angry.

Cmd Keybinding
I'm not sure why you're unable to use cmd as a keybinding, as you allude to throughout the post. I have over a dozen cmd+keystoke keybinds, and I even have cmd+click and cmd+rightclick keybound to something. I was also able to bind cmd+click to Player Move, which you seem unable to do.

The keybinding interface is a little bit wonky, to be sure. Its easy to accidentally screw up your keybindings, especially your mouse keybindings. Keep trying though, you'll get it eventually. Once you get a real mouse, try the left handed option mentioned here, I'm not sure if its necessary with the mac client or not.