Support is BS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingStyleToast

03-25-2013

Support can certainly be frustrating but if you read some of the guides on warding it will help you.

Mathematically it is said that rushing the Sightstone is a better value than rushing a philo stone. This might be the case but I honestly do better when i rush the Philo and a Kage's Pick.

I take the support masteries and that actually doesn't include the free ward and biscuit on some of my support champs. The most important thing is the gold per 10 and extra gold at the start. if you are a champ that has some poke the Pickpocket mastery is a great one to have also (15 or 25 attacks timed right is a sight ward). You also need the gold per 10 Quints on your support rune page. This all combined should help you a lot.
I start out buying a Faerie charm, a health potion, and 4 sight wards. Depending on how much the enemy likes to camp in the lane bushes i might use 3 of these wards right away. I go with 4 wards because that will allow me to ward the river bush, both lane bushes, and the enemy tribush. All these are important areas during the laning phase. On my first recall i try to finish my philo stone but I always make sure that i have 4 sight wards before doing so. The wards are more important! If i have enough I might go ahead and get a Vision ward or start my Kage's lucky pick or maybe even buy boots. Every time I recall I make sure that I have at least 4 sight wards in my inventory. I do not buy the sightstone until I have both of the gold per 10 items and usually my boots as well.
I often cover lanes as support whether it be my bot lane or mid and while i'm there alone, rather than letting the turret kill minions, i will kill them myself. Also if your team is pushing a lane jump in there and kill some of those minions too. its more important to push fast than it is to worry whether your carries get every single minion. plus if your carry is going to miss a last hit on a minion get it yourself if you can. The other important thing is for your team to get Global Gold. This means taking objectives like turrets and dragon and baron if the situation is right. Global gold is the best thing a team can do for themselves and their support. taking all 11 turrets is 1650 gold for every member of your team. That will pay for your Ruby Sightstone and leave you 100 gold to spare.
Support can be very rewarding if done right and you look at it in a positive way. If you look at it as slave labor for your team then you'll never enjoy it.
Hope this helps someone somehow.

Elsabet

03-25-2013

Your job is to ward your lane early, and the map more generally later. Depending on the positioning of bot lane and how aggressively the enemy support is buying pinks, sometimes you just can't keep your lane warded. If that's the case, sometimes it is best to give up, put a pink on dragon, and encourage your adc to farm near tower. I don't always go gp/10. It depends on what kind of support I'm playing though. As Support, I get most of my gold from: a) assists; b) objectives (towers/dragon); c) farming when my adc is not in lane.

Later in the game you should just prioritize pinks on Baron and Dragon over finishing your next item, and if you can have a couple greens in key spots near mid as well, you're fine; I rarely build Sightstone, but that's because I'm usually not playing a gp/10 Support. Yes, ideally you want to ward all over and have oracles to sweep all enemy wards, but if instead you've gotten some more items such that you are contributing more to teamfights, resulting in won fights and consequent accomplished objectives, you're going to be a greater asset to your team that way. Support is one of the most fun positions because it involves (arguably) the most decision-making.

Thrawnmich

03-25-2013

Were you playing Soraka? <------ BORING but can still be fun

But for real, I used to main support and the one thing I realized is that support can change the game easy. If you want a real challenge try Janna, my favorite support as she has lots of mana management and is fairly squishy but if played correctly to late game can help save everyone from a teamfights while adding some distance from the enemy. Taric and leona are also good choices as they are almost always the starters of teamfight.
Fun = 100%
Boring = 0%

Indemnis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

what I hate is when teammates expect you to ward where they want and while warding they engage in a fight and yell at me for not being there -__-
Seriously cant have me ward southwest corner and engage in north east and expect me to be there right now
Then I see that the people complaining are the first to die with 3 tier 3 items built and a free space in their inventory...........

Slash7

03-28-2013

buy wards only at beginning
max 2 at time
everytime you recall
you also might need pink ward early
buy sight stone
upgrade sight stone

dont buy more wards
you have sightstone so wards are not your problem anymore
because as a champion you also need other items
like support items
or protection
or damage
however you like it

i dont enjoy much playing support
i enjoy it for short time then it becomes incredibly boring for me
also as adc i buy wards like 1 at a time so other adcs must do so
so you can build sight stone
sight stone gives big advantage in lane

DH Godless

03-28-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N5yTdGhIU
this explains it all

HDresden

03-28-2013

If you are complaining about warding and your team is complaining about warding, tell them that its also their job to ward. I jungle a lot and I ward all the time because it makes sense. Mid and top should ward for themselves to watch for ganks. If they don't do that then they should.

Jeraphim

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawnmich View Post
Were you playing Soraka? <------ BORING but can still be fun

Taric and leona are also good choices as they are almost always the starters of teamfight.
Fun = 100%
This statement.

HD Luke

03-28-2013

I play support a good amount and all I can say is your role is to keep everyone's ass alive (by doing things such as warding), set up kills for your teammates and help acquire objectives while preventing the enemy team from doing the same, which will in turn help you win the game. I build a ruby sightstone, and almost always have a little money left over from buying items to spend on 1 or 2 extra wards, no problem.

McDoußle

03-28-2013

I love playing support.... Here are a few things to remember.

1: Red sightstone is your friend... no more HAVING to buy wards.
2: I Love playing Blitz, personally, and a ward means I get that "/all OMFG Dat Grab" from the other team.
3: Support can make/break the game. Warding, pulling off that sick initiate or save means people remember you.
4: Support is by DEFINITION someone who's job is assisting the team. Not Carrying, but using their abilities to further the objective of the team.
5: Try Teemo.... Mushrooms = ward + hilarious when someone rage quits from the death in a random bush.