Support is BS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wubbit

03-24-2013

Supports should not be slaves. Ward slaves, whatever. I seriously hate having to spend all my money on wards. It is lame. It is boring. I'm sick of hearing nonstop "buy more wards" like that will magically make people who don't counterbuild win.

Wards just need to be taken out. Leave the item that has a set amount of wards with a cooldown and charges.

Seriously it is friccen insanely annoying not to mention BORING AS FK.

FreshFuhrer

03-24-2013

I enjoy support. Sounds to me like all you're doing is warding. Moreover, everyone except maybe the AD should be buying one or two wards each back. Tell them to buy their own.

Wubbit

03-24-2013

Supports shouldn't be forced by the dynamic of the game to be ward slaves, or any kind of slave. Sure, they need shields/heals and what not. But having to depend on gp10's and constantly spending what tiny amount of money you get on wards is just ridiculous.

It's not fun. Plain and simple. Who wants to buy a pack of wards instead of more hp/AP/armor/MR?

DashOfLoyalty

03-24-2013

Wards win games. I always sacrifice an item for 2-3 pinks and a couple greens, on top of the wards I get from Ruby Sightstone. Supporting is fun if you play well. Ward up the place, zone the enemy in lane, and heal like a boss.

FreshFuhrer

03-24-2013

Once again, it sounds to me like all you're doing is warding. Items don't make the fun in this game, plays do. Try setting up kills more. It will benefit you, and if it is done a lot you will be showered with affection.

footfoe

03-24-2013

I think support is very exciting actually. You're not just a ward *****, you're providing general utility that is helping your team win. You secure kills, save allies and generally save the ****ing day.

Warding can be annoying sometimes, expecially at the begining of the game when you want to have some HP or boots. I steal some cs every now and then to help out.

URAunitB

03-24-2013

support can be pretty darn fun if you are able to get your carry fed, and if the carry is your friend, its even more fun haha XD
Yeah, it kinda sucks being the one having to buy wards and such, but because of your warding you are able to set up an advantage for your team
Buying wards constantly at the beginning of the game is kind of annoying, but in the long run it will become less and less irritating as the game goes on. To earn gold, get your gold generation runes and items and just make sure that you can help for as many kills as you can

xNameless

03-25-2013

Sightstone much? It's good to get wards on top of this every time you back.

Important note: You don't have to have every spot of the map warded at all times. Ward only when you think you're going to need sight on that spot soon. A good example: If the enemy jungler is in top lane, and all other opponents are accounted for, then you don't need to ward the river right now. Save it for when someone goes missing, or if the enemy jungler has disappeared for a while.

Think of this: a good ward will enable a good gank, which will more than pay for the cost of the ward.

Also, a good ward will help PREVENT a gank, which will more than pay for the cost of the ward (in money that has been denied to the other team).

Knowledge is power. Knowing where they are can change the course of the game.

"Buy a ward. Stop a gank. Save a life."

-xN

Remmin

03-25-2013

If you're not having fun playing support then don't play support.

The game only has 4 general revenue sources (the three lanes and the jungle), but five players. Having one player choose a champion who doesn't rely on gold as much (usually through strong non-scaling abilities like CC, heals, shields, etc.) is the most efficient allocation of resources. To take further advantage of this, the meta is styled so that this is also the character who buys the wards, which allows more resources to be devoted to other roles like tanking or DPS.

But again, if you don't like the role, then play other roles. The meta is evolutionary and is determined by those styles of gameplay which are most likely to succeed. Not to get too philosobabble on you guys, but winning games isn't necessarily the most existentially rewarding (i.e. fun) way to play. Wubbit is sorta talking about the experience of supporting; its like a slave. I think that if he sees it that way, there's no way to say its a less legitimate experience. At the same time, its going a bit far to ask Riot to change the game because you don't enjoy an aspect of it.

mendeleyev

03-25-2013

I don't understand this thread.

Supports and wards win games, they just do it in a different way than your jungle and ADC. If it is boring, you need a new support. If you are just standing there and warding, you aren't doing enough.

1. ward
2. keep an eye on the minimap
3. If you know you can get a kill, or a double, YOU set up the kill. You don't wait for your ADC to engage.
4. Ward
5. Don't get yourself killed while your ADC is recalled. The 50 gold isn't worth it, I promise.
6. Ward
7. If you score a double kill early, if you think you can go smack around mid and score another kill - do it. let your ADC farm some EXP solo and get more coins, you could get another assist to keep pace.

Support is definitely NOT boring if you intend to do it right.