Don't Let Bullies Run Free

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foxxle

03-25-2013

I'll just report them afterwards. I'm here to play a game, not to type out and discuss ethics with strangers.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Tab>>Mute>>Done.

That so many have bought into this bullying hype his hilarious. If you are being 'bullied' by typed words a videogame chat while there is always the option to mute and permanently ignore players built in to the game.....then you must be one of those many kids that got gold stars for 'participating'.

Seriously, how do you get bullied in an online game ?

Torkable

03-25-2013

Typical LoL-player/child mentality:
1. Install LoL
2. Instantly turn on all chat and turn off language filter
3. Become enraged the moment someone says anything even a little negative toward you, regardless of how true it is.
4. Completely refuse to use mute feature or consider toggling filter and/or all chat.
5. Spam reports on other players for verbal abuse and foul language.

You went into options and turned off the default settings that prevent all smack talk from the other team and cursing and now you're mad the other players are swearing at you? Really?

MaximumTacolord

03-25-2013

Hit the ignore button as soon as anyone trolls. Toxic players are going to stay toxic even if their whole team calls them an *******.

The Bitterness

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King Kazma View Post
To let a troll/ rager single out on of your teammates and harass them is ALMOST as bad as doing it yourself. To allow him to do this is to condone his behavior. It is the same as watching a bully pick on someone at school, except here your game is at stake.

The problem is, everyone is too scared to speak up, because they think they will be banned, but it is VERY easy to confront a bully without using bannable language, and it is the duty of anyone who not only tries to uphold the "summoners code" but if you want a less lame reason, just don't let a fellow person and fellow teammate get harassed, no one likes it.

DO NOT sit by and let bullies be bullies. The added benefit of the team trying to talk down a bully is, when the tribunal sees the card, they can see who is at fault immediately. And if the troll or trolls try to counter-report you, the chat will also show that everyone on the team sat opposite of the troll, and it will not only be the two of them going back and forth.

Remember that, as soon as a negative thing is said, it is out there and floating around. Let's not pretend like everyone who plays the game is a super strong-willed, perfect manly man that can just mute the bully and be OK after. Sometimes, there are a few exchanges before a mute is really needed. By that time, the player's game is already brought down a notch, and he knows that one of his teammates not only stands against him, but will not be able to communicate with him for the rest of the game.

Please do not let the fear of the tribunal stop you from helping out your fellow gamers, and from helping to make the REAL community you engage and interact with everyday a better place. Let's not forget that on the other side of every computer is a guy trying to have a good day, banging away at the same keys you are.
When I was a part of the larger community I would do what I could to address issues on whatever team I was on. The simplest way to do this is also the way I found to be most effective: tell them to stop typing and focus on the game.

Other Team: huehuehue failsticks fagg0t got beatdown again
Other Team: go back to sr with that sh it
My Team: shut the **** up kid
Other Team: huehuehue
My Team: at least I dont live in my moms basement you fat *****
Me: Dude, stop typing and focus on the game.
Me: Beating their team will shut them up.

Yes, I can type very quickly like that. More to the point, it was rare that I received a negative response from the person I was trying to correct. This is likely because I didn't use inflammatory language or actually try to get into the situation at hand. I simply showed that I was aware of the situation and that I found the game to be more important.

SHADY NIPPLES

Recruiter

03-28-2013

^^

baleofvale

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyen View Post
I like the sentiment I think the OP is going for, but you need to be really, really careful. There's an extremely fine line between "defending player X against being bullied by player Y" and "ganging up with player X to bully player Y". A lot of these fights look completely different to people on the outside (I.E. Tribunal) than they do to people on the inside. Like 99% of the time the people who are getting reported believe that they're morally allowed to be jerks because of self defense or something, but that doesn't apply in LoL. If you're scrapping with someone else, even if it's to defend a teammate, to an impartial third party it often just looks like two people scrapping, with both of them believing that the other guy is a total jerk who deserves it.
I agree with this ^^ You can see it when you go to participate in the tribunal and see the *whole* chat log. I start out thinking, "yeah this one's a prig, they deserve it." Then half way through the log I see others being just as bad.

When I'm in a game with a loud mouth jerk picking on someone (even if the other is not doing well, hey i've been there), I just chat and say something like, "nah, [player being picked on] is super awesome. mvp. da bomb." yaya it usually goes ok after that.

Birthday Deluxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

Most people I know don't have a problem with players on the opposite team acting like d-bags, it's when that player is on their own team that it bothers them. That said, I usually only throw out a "No need to be a jerk," "Put less effort into being a dick, more into playing the game" or a "less qq more pew pew" before muting and moving on.

Classless players deserve to be called out, but getting into an argument with someone takes your mind away from where it needs to be and creates an unneeded distraction for the rest of the team.

Juxxthefluxx

03-29-2013

I play this game almost exclusively with my fiance nowadays. She's really into it and plays more than I do most days so I don't really have time to play alone. She's extremely new to mobas, and video games in general. She played a lot of Skyrim, a touch of SC2, some Super Mario Sunshine, and Age of Empires something like 10 years ago.

By listing her gaming resume, I am trying to show that she is not a great player. Does that mean she goes 0-11 in every game? Not at all, I think most of her games have greater than 1 K/D ratios, but she does on occasion have some pretty bad games and their is a really good chance that 1-2 people on her team will jump her for it.

She is completely hooked on Dominion (doesn't even want to try SR) and that's awesome, and I don't want the jerks in this community to make her want to stop playing. It has been close sometimes, I have been there when a teammate has reduced her to tears. I usually try and say things like, "Everyone has bad games" or "She's still relatively new to the game" or "She's new to this champion" (she is really reluctant to try new champs because her first few games are usually bad and she doesn't want to get yelled at) but that does not work for everyone, and actually I would say it doesn't work on most. What it does though, is lets the rest of my team know that she is trying, and sometimes they defend her too.

I guess this has been a sort of long winded way of saying, if the person isn't afk, and clearly looks to be trying, even if they are doing awful, cut them some slack. Offer advice or instruction, and try and convince the other on your team to offer advice instead of rage as well.