Colour Blind Fixes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voilak

04-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uszi View Post
I wanted to voice my support here as well.

And while the color blind mod is awesome, all I really want is to change the minion colors and the enemy UI displays.

I'm not sure I understand why it'd be so hard to implement: just toggle alternate skins for the minions that aren't blue/purple, and toggle the health bars from being red/green to being something else (orange/cyan like COD for instance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Ph-yZ2CC8

I appreciate Boourns giving the thread some credibility with a red post, but his answer of "Well, the higher ups say we can't do it," just makes me want to hear an explanation from them instead.

Striving to make a red poster post either here or at the Eu thread here..

Lilfatsheep

05-04-2011

Hey Razieh, when I installed the new PvP patcher, the colorblind patch suddenly disappeared. Is this a problem for anyone else? Should I just reinstall the patch? Thank you for all your hard work!

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=718100

Go here if you want the game to be playable again.

boourns

UI Designer

05-05-2011
5 of 7 Riot Posts

@Voilak ... pretty sure I post here fairly frequently. Unfortunately, I am not setup on the EU server. You should redirect people to this discussion.

If you look at the scope of the work Razieh's done, it is quite extensive and covers more than just HUD coloration, many spells and effects need some help. Supporting multiple versions of that many assets is not a trivial undertaking, unfortunately. This is not a hidden issue internally, but we have so many competing demands for new features that we are not actively working on supporting this right now.

All I can tell you guys is that I try to push this issue forward when I have free time, but any solution is probably a while away.

In the meantime, we really appreciate razieh's ongoing work on this and it seems like his solution can still work with our new patcher.

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

Good... you riot guys finally understand the problem. Now maybe you should look at the numbers. Colorblind is 8-11% of the population of males and 1% of females. So many dont even realise it because it generally matters so little... I didnt find out until I was 17 yrs old and needed to take an exam for my college major. That means you can expect 1 colorblind player in every single 5v5. Maybe that is the feeder/leaver in every game you spent resources trying to ban, instead of fixing the problem. I'm just saying the numbers can support that conclusion. I was feeding pretty hard and doing bad in the game I joined after patcher update, since I couldnt tell my team mates from my enemies or last hit at all. I think you underestimate how severely affected the game really is by this...it affects teams not individuals. And all you have to "fix" is a simple pallete change. Purple instead of green, so they can distinguish. Its so easy that this "we're too busy" excuse is really not acceptable. You dont have to make some comprehensive script to change all the champion skins. All we want is healthbars, minimap pallete changes, and some respect from the staff that keeps rolling out champions which they colorize often with no concern for us.

Udub

05-06-2011

Can this get stickied?

razieh

05-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@Voilak ... pretty sure I post here fairly frequently. Unfortunately, I am not setup on the EU server. You should redirect people to this discussion.

If you look at the scope of the work Razieh's done, it is quite extensive and covers more than just HUD coloration, many spells and effects need some help. Supporting multiple versions of that many assets is not a trivial undertaking, unfortunately. This is not a hidden issue internally, but we have so many competing demands for new features that we are not actively working on supporting this right now.

All I can tell you guys is that I try to push this issue forward when I have free time, but any solution is probably a while away.

In the meantime, we really appreciate razieh's ongoing work on this and it seems like his solution can still work with our new patcher.
I would love for you to explain how my pack still works with the new patcher. As far as I know it will not work unless you use some hacked up programs. I for one have no intention of running random exe files from a forum poster.

Colour blind fixes have been promised since closed beta, saying oh we do not have the time comes off as an excuse. Those "extensive" fixes took me roughly three hours to complete, and I had to find which particles effect which spell. Any time after the initial investment was spent fixing for patches or finding people with the correct champion to help me test.

Riot claims they know and cares about these issues and wants to fix them. This hardly seems to be the case, with constant releases including more and more bad choices; wards were recently changed and made harder to see, what sense did that make? You could have chosen any colour you wanted, how are the colour blind users supposed to take this?

Now I assume ultimately the choice is not yours. You are just trying to help on the forums and I really appreciate that. I become very disheartened every time I play, I see five new skins and a champion or two but no fixes.

Honestly if you want the resources just use my pack, if that is what it takes for you to implement something just use it. I will sign a release or what ever giving you permission just get in contact with me, I have attempted to talk to your team before.

NuNexus

05-09-2011

@Razieh - Some info the new method to install custom files works, but problem is it doesn't seem to work 100% with particles so it will make your pack kind of useless as of right now. Whenever I try to get it to work it crashes the game x/. Now like always been following your updates here and on leaguecraft, and do got to say man playing this game without this is a pain. Most of my friends even those that aren't colorblind can't live without it. They are all waiting for me to figure out how to get it back xP. But yeah I wish they could make it easy to change things again... either way thanks for the time you spent to make things bearable even if it was only 3 hours xP.

Voilak

05-10-2011

@boourns
As far as I remember, razieh is colorblind too, so he is not only implementing this for the community, but for himself as well.
I don't know if there has been already someone that have donated for this guy's work but I did and he can confirm that. The funny is that he did the work in advance and then I (and everyone being consciousness) donated some money for appreciation of his solution to our major problem.
The funnier is that I have already donated over 1.500 $ to Riot and they still do not fix this. How funnier can it go?
Edit: Here is the link to my EU thread. http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=23630

@razieh I really doubt we will hear someone to be as responsible as saying "I am the UI leader/manager and we will implement this in the upcoming (or in 2 or 3) patch. Thank you for supporting this, we see this issue has grown big and we will solve this out so everyone could have equal gaming experience."

Afterall, we don't ask to make the game being played with 3d glasses.
We're asking - for a start - just to allow us alter the healthbars so we can do it ourselves.

Zarigis

05-10-2011

Riot just needs to have an override folder to make it easier to keep these patches implemented. It was easy enough before, but now we have to deal with this insane folder structure to try to hunt down files. If there was just one folder that was considered the first place to look when loading assets, then we could drop razieh's mod in there and be happy. As it stands we have to deal with unpacking/packing archives and it's just a nightmare.

Could someone from riot at least explain how the folder structure works? Right now it seems like complete nonsense.