Dat Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trappedmoose

03-23-2013

I've been looking for some jungling champs and im wondering if rammus is viable, since I've just worked up 3150 IP. His kit seems pretty strong and interesting, but I never see him in games. Ever. Thoughts?

Pobbes

03-23-2013

He's ok (pun intended). He really shines against AD heavy teams since he naturally builds armor. I like him. He's fun and very disruptive to the enemy team. His jungle clear is a little slow, and he is susceptible to counter jungling by better dueling champs. His ganks are one of the stronger aspects of his kit, and his late game pretty solid thanks to his utility.

xSeCKSx

03-23-2013

He's lost a lot of flair with all the season 3 changes. I've still seen him win as far as silver ranked games go, but considering the alternatives popular in the jungle slot these days, I wouldn't recommend him as a primary.

In the previous seasons, his survivability made up for the lack of damage. With survivability nerfed across the board, its a lot harder to get the most out of his kit.

Dpaladinx

03-25-2013

He's one of the easier junglers to learn and one of the strongest gankers in the game. His camp clearing speed, however, is very weak.

I'm trying to find good junglers to get since jungling happens to be my weakest point in all the roles I've played.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Whoa, Rammus is like my second/third best jungler and I don't know what these people are talking about clear times. Rammus' biggest flaw is his inability to deal with counter jungling early. Until he gets level 6 he has no answer to anyone in his jungle and just has to make due.

IMO Rammus is an extremely good jungler in Season 3. With the addition of the Jungling items, he can now buy boots of Mobility without giving up the tenacity. The Armor/HP From the new jungling item is PERFECT for Rammus.

If you do go the route for Rammus, here are my personal tips and by no means am I pro(Silver 1 with 25 points from promotion if you're wondering):

Runes:

Reds: Attack Speed (Seriously helps him clear extremely fast)

Yellows: Armor Yellows (Obvious)

Blues: Honestly... preference here, I go Armor blues if they are an AD heavy team, or FLAT Mr blues if they are balanced. CDR Would work alright, as well.

Quints: Attack Speed ( I love having 25% Attack speed because Rammus' Q Greatly increases his attack damage, meaning he can clear camps very quickly with it activated.) MS/Armor/Lifesteal are all viable. I used to run Lifesteal for infinite sustain, but in Season 3 I cannot start boots so I like backing fairly early to get those to gank with.

I go 9/21 for Masteries, speccing down the Attack damage/speed on the offensive. Defense is obvious.

You should always start at your blue and take W. Rammus can start at red if you feel like you may be countered, do it. Your clear time will be a little less, but its better than missing your red. I would get a pull on Golems if you start red, the extra damage help for them will make your clear faster.

After you get level 2, grab your Q and use it to go to the next camp. Get used to timing this to hit the minions at the end of the travel, it takes a few games to get it down, but it helps with your clear time.

Now is where things get important:

If you're going to gank after you hit level 3, take your taunt. If your closest lane is pushed out or the enemy is mia, take another point in W and continue farming.

A little tip: If you clear your entire jungle starting at blue, when the wraiths respawn you will be level 4 and you can take your E to gank mid. If they are pushed, just go over to wolves and you can either base or go gank top, depending on your health/damage from gank/etc etc etc.

I always try to get level 1 boots and your Spirit stone on your first back, and if you have money grab a ward and maybe a potion or two to help you sustain a little longer. Boots make your ganks much more potent with your Q.

A few tips about ganking:

WAIT for a minion wave to start lining up against their minion wave, your Q cannot jump over minion waves and this will make for a terrible gank.

I always take Flash on Rammus. That small gap closer with your Q activated will always land your lane a kill if you can land a Q-E.

Always activate your ultimate when ganking, it does a lot over damage over time and if you use it early any CC used on you still allows you to do DPS if you are close enough.

Do your best to come from behind an enemy, and watch out for them to flash over you, you can quickly taunt them on most occasions.

I know I said it, but I'll say it again, WATCH OUT FOR MINIONS when ganking. They screw up ganks badly. If you want to know where their minions are, look at yours for that lane. Theirs are in the same place.

As far as spell order, for MOST games I get 2 in Q-W-W(Unless I gank)-E-W-R Max E, Then W, Then Q. Q does a lot of damage if you level it early, but its not worth it because it doesn't help your clear time and you're a tank, your job is to provide CC to give your lane a kill.

As for items:
1.) Spirit of the Ancient Golem: You need this. It helps clear times and your tankyness so much. Also tenacity.

2.) Boots of Mobility. Don't get anything else. You speed with your Q with other boots is about 600 or so, with Mobility you run in the 800s. No brainer here.

3.) Its really situational with Rammus. If they are AD heavy I usually always grab a Randuin's if we're struggling or a Sunfire Cape if not. If they are AP Heavy I usually go for a Warmogs, your W Will give you the MR You need.

4.) If I didn't get a Warmog yet, I get one now. Being invincible is a great thing, because you can take a lot of a beating while waiting on your team to get in on your initiate.

5.) If its an AP Heavy Team I'll buy a Wits End. Sounds wierd, but with your W Activated you get a large boost in AD and your damage output will be amazing with Wits end, trust me. Plus 50 MR Is a great deal for 2k gold.
If they are AD Heavy I'll grab a Thornmail. I have enough hitpoints now that I can nearly kill an ADC with a Q-E-W-R Combo if I get to him.

6.) Entirely situational.... If you're squishy at this point... Vayne is Fed, buy a Frozen Heart and Activate Randuin's when she's close.

Items I like and get depending on situations:

Banshee's Veil - Awesome for heavy CC teams and snares like Lux/Morgana that can keep you from initiating.

Atma's Impaler - I like getting this item as a 6th item if I bought a Wit's End. The armor + Crit chance just makes you hurt.

Zephyr - Another 6th item if I didn't buy a Wits end and they are mostly AD I'll go for this. The extra speed and CDR helps, and you do some damage to kill that carry with.

Locket of the Iron Solari - Just started getting this and the shield is ridiculous with your W Activated. Also it can save your entire team, as well. Honestly, I'm debating trying this as my third item.

Aegis(Bulwark) - Its a great item, but usually the support or someone takes it, if they don't be sure and grab it as it has great cheap stats.

GA- I don't really get it that much anymore, at least not on Rammus. Having to kill Rammus once is pretty hard, if you feel like being an jacktard go ahead and get it, but I don't feel like Rammus needs more lives.

Morellomicon - VERY situational item. IF they have someone who is causing havoc because of their heal/lifesteal/whatever I do like Morellomicon to deal with them healing as your ultimate hits the entire team preventing anyone from getting a full heal. Good for Soraka as well, as you keep the entire team from healing. Still wouldn't get this until 4/5th, though. You do need to survive.

Liandries Torment: Another VERY situational item. If they have 3 or more people stacking HP, Like a Vladd/Volibear/Sejuani/Mundo/anyone with a Warmogs... Get this item 4th/5th. Your ultimate will literately shred their entire team. You just have to be tanky enough to survive it.

Zeke's Herald : If your support doesn't get it and you have an ADC + Auto attacking top(Fiora/Tryndamere/Warwick/Udyr/Jax/etc.) Its a great item to grab. Will also give you infinite sustain in the jungle.

There is no other items(Aside from me trolling with Rammus because I play him so much I can just build what I want when I get ahead and still rape, but that's in blind pick normals :P) I would get on him.

Anyhow, I hope you like him if you get him. He's a great champion, and with the meta being so AD Heavy he excels in a lot of games. If you go against an all AD Team Rammus will make them pay 90% of the time.

Elchulus

03-25-2013

Rammus looks epic on paper. But once you play him there are a few weaknesses that are inevitable:

(1) Powerball blocked by everything. This essentially means you can never get to carries in teamfights, you're stuck taunting tanks to protect your own carries. It also can be a serious problem when ganking, because you have to pretty much make sure a minion wave isn't coming.

(2) Poor base stats. Rammus is only naturally tanky with his W up. If it's down he's one of the squishier tanks.

(3) Hard countered by cleanse and QSS. Rammus's only meaningful cc is his 3 second taunt, which is easily cleansed.

(4) Easily stopped by cc. Powerball isn't going to go anywhere. If you're trying to gank bot lane against Taric, give it up, it will never work.

(5) Stacking armor is no longer effective.

To get a better feel of his weaknesses you should compare Rammus to Maokai. Maokai exceeds Rammus in every area (utility, ganking reliability, resilience, mobility) except damage and the ability to gank warded lanes.

xSeCKSx

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchulus View Post
Rammus looks epic on paper. But once you play him there are a few weaknesses that are inevitable:

(1) Powerball blocked by everything. This essentially means you can never get to carries in teamfights, you're stuck taunting tanks to protect your own carries. It also can be a serious problem when ganking, because you have to pretty much make sure a minion wave isn't coming.

(2) Poor base stats. Rammus is only naturally tanky with his W up. If it's down he's one of the squishier tanks.

(3) Hard countered by cleanse and QSS. Rammus's only meaningful cc is his 3 second taunt, which is easily cleansed.

(4) Easily stopped by cc. Powerball isn't going to go anywhere. If you're trying to gank bot lane against Taric, give it up, it will never work.

(5) Stacking armor is no longer effective.

To get a better feel of his weaknesses you should compare Rammus to Maokai. Maokai exceeds Rammus in every area (utility, ganking reliability, resilience, mobility) except damage and the ability to gank warded lanes.
Basically all this and the fact that you pretty much need the assistance of a teammate to kill anyone short of them being really low on hp.