Garen's passive sucks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eualcides

03-23-2013

Is it just me or is it incredibly stupid how much Garen's passive has been nerfed? .4% per second? good grief mundo's passive gives him .3% all the time regardless of getting hit...
garen doesn't bring that much to a team game. he has a silence that tons of other champs do better, and whirlwind which is useless lategame unless he's hard AD (in which case he dies in the middle of their team) and an execute not based on true damage. oh yea, he has a shtty defensive bubble too.

I haven't played Garen in a long time. I've fought him a lot, however. In fact, i just beat garen in and out of lane with TARIC TOP.

Srsly the only thing Garen ever had going for him was lane dominance, and Riot seems determined to take that away as well

GrimFate56

03-23-2013

taric top is actually really strong right now, taric in general is XD

and before the slight nerf to garen he was pub stomping and alot of peopel where complaigning, another point to make is yes mundo gets the perma hp heal but garen also gets armor and magic resistance buffs ontop of his heal

Excidion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2013

Ok, heres the catch
as natural, try to make your early game build counter your opponent. fighting an AD? go cloth armor. also, try to determine what kind of damage the enemy team has. if they are running pure ad then go thornmail + randuins, combined with your passive and you are set. same with AP. Maw and spirit visage never hurt.

and dont bash the passive too much. remember, it is percent so it really kicks in to help you recover late game. even early game if you get in a duel and disengage, you can usually heal back up faster than your opponent and reengage.

also, make sure your build is matching your play style. if you are building glass cannon dont be dumb and jump right in the middle of a teamfight. waiting a second to get in and start focusing a squishy isnt a bad idea. and if you are the tank, either ghost in or something and engage. as a tank, i prefer to jump in on a squishy, then once their focus is on me, start kiting them to your team. keep poppin q's on enemys that need to be silenced, and all should be well. just dont engage while outnumbered

Lethadind

03-24-2013

Mundo's skills cost health. Garen's skills cost absolutely nothing. So in a fight where the other guy can't land any skillshots against you, Garen does ridiculously well (especially since people try to run away from your E, still taking the damage, instead of enduring it and fighting back). Garen is still incredibly good at destroying top lane (I just picked him up a few days ago and regardless of whether or not I win, I end up with at least a 3:1 KDA 90% of the time, most of those kills come from lane). I build him straight tank, and engage the entire team.

His shield is probably the best tanking ability in the game dude. 30% DAMAGE reduction. Not magic damage, not physical, but straight damage. He is like, the only counter to Vayne late game, as she does % health true damage (which has no counter other than Garen and Ali's dmg reduc). Garen's mid game is where he shines, as his E does plenty of base damage, I can 2v1 and sometimes 3v1 their team and kill all of them. His R is still incredible. Sure it's not Darius, but it's not supposed to be. 1 on 1 Garen beats Darius, so, yeah (again, he pops that W right when Darius ults him, then ults Darius right back).

His entire kit is designed to outlast his opponent in lane. If I can't kill them I simply outsustain them and outlevel them by staying in lane. Garen is one of the only champs that I start Doran's Shield with. I can stay in lane with him until mid-game if I want to. Sure he falls off a bit late game, but he's supposed to. A tank needs a team to do anything productive, and Garen can still shutdown the carry as long as people are focusing him/her.

I can't imagine how much better I'd do had Garen's passive not been nerfed.

ViashinoWizard

03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethadind View Post
His shield is probably the best tanking ability in the game dude. 30% DAMAGE reduction. Not magic damage, not physical, but straight damage. He is like, the only counter to Vayne late game, as she does % health true damage (which has no counter other than Garen and Ali's dmg reduc).
Garen's W and Alistar's R don't work on True damage. Nothing reduces true damage, that's the point. Vayne is counter by AS slows.

Lethadind

03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
Garen's W and Alistar's R don't work on True damage. Nothing reduces true damage, that's the point. Vayne is counter by AS slows.
Woops. Mah bad.