Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A few Questions About Cho'gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enemy Syndra GG

03-23-2013

First off I'd like to start with cho. I see him as a high utility bruiser with the Highest base AD in game at 130 (I think Skarner is tied with him though).

Anyway I have been playing him top and have seem to be creatin alot of pressure as of lately. I find myself always getting ganked and pushing top within the first 8-14 mins. I usually fall behind on my build because of wards so i tend to rush a philo's to help me out.

Now on to the questions. As stated above, his base damage is 130 at 18 lvs and even though he is an ap bruiser, would any ad benefit him ? Let me explain this:

Cho'gaths atack range grows as he gets bigger, he has an autoatack steroid (his E) and benefits a truckload from ASPD thanks to this.

His spells already have good bases and most of them are mostly used for the utility they provide, not the damage (but R and not to mention they have pretty decent cooldowns)

So, Why not some AD to increase his damage output?

Better said, Bruiser Cho has the same utility as AP Cho, but with more reliable damage output, I think that going full AP wouldnt be a bad Idea, but considering his E hits everythin in front of it imange how it would be in teamfights. Cho rushes the front lines and he Q>W>AA's The enemy team and BOOM each of them take a considerable ammount of damage. This will usually scare them off and will probably allow someone in your team to use a gap closer and pick up a kill or two. Same concept if someone baits to cho for a team fight.

Cho probably has the most versatility in viable builds of any champ in the game.

Usually I build him like this
Treads/Tabi/Mobility It all depends on preference. Honestly He has good armor and is tanky enough so i usually go mobility unless they have high burst Like Cassiopeia Syndra Karthus, etc.
Rod Of Ages
Spirit Visage
Warmogs
Sunfire
Rylais or another warmogs

It usually goes pretty well.

BUT

I would like to know if it is Viable to do an AD/ Ap hybrid chogath? It would go something like this
Treads/Tabi/Mobility
HGB
Spirit Visage
BT
Warmogs.
Atma's

. I really could see this working. If anything would change i would probaby make the Atma's into a RoA Earlier on as atmas is pretty weak right now. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with AD cho and could point me in the right direction ? Any tips or help would be appreciated ^_^

Sephïroth

03-23-2013

For the most part it is not a bad build. I wouldn't build a Rylai's you obtain no benefit from it, I'd grab a Randuin's Omen.

Rod of Ages seems to be everyone's favorite on Cho'Gath. I don't like it, honestly I prefer just going straight tank with him. He has such good base damage, even though he scales well, being invincible is pretty nice.

AD Cho has no chasing ability. It requires you to nail your Q just to hit them a few times, then they will disapear. If you went AD Cho you would have to have some sort of stickyness. If you want more damage on Cho Gath, try building a Wits End. It gives great MR/Damage.

If I were you, do what I do: Run into Dominion and practice all your cookie builds to see how they work their. Its easier to get gold in Dominion and finish builds to see how they work after each item. Just remember, a late game build that works great in Dominion may not work in SR Because you have to get the gold first.

Lethadind

03-23-2013

I see where you're coming from with this, however, let me clarify a few things:

His E is not a steroid at all. It's added magic damage that increases with AP, not AD. Adding AD to this does not help. Nor does his "attack range" increase with it, as the damage is separate from his AA damage.

You're going to find, like Sephiroth said, that you won't be able to stick to champs once you start to play competitively. There'll be a lot of derps that won't know how to kite in pre-30 and bronze, but once you hit silver or above, people start to get a little (though not much) smarter. You simply won't be able to do the damage you thought you would. You'd get two, maybe three auto-attacks in and they'd disappear.

There are two viable ways to build cho: Pure tank, or AP Tanky. They've been tried and tested for years. Pure tank he still gets great damage in due to E and R in teamfights, AP he's basically an unstoppable nuke with massive true damage.

Enemy Syndra GG

03-23-2013

Quote:
Lethadind:
I see where you're coming from with this, however, let me clarify a few things:

His E is not a steroid at all. It's added magic damage that increases with AP, not AD. Adding AD to this does not help. Nor does his "attack range" increase with it, as the damage is separate from his AA damage.

You're going to find, like Sephiroth said, that you won't be able to stick to champs once you start to play competitively. There'll be a lot of derps that won't know how to kite in pre-30 and bronze, but once you hit silver or above, people start to get a little (though not much) smarter. You simply won't be able to do the damage you thought you would. You'd get two, maybe three auto-attacks in and they'd disappear.

There are two viable ways to build cho: Pure tank, or AP Tanky. They've been tried and tested for years. Pure tank he still gets great damage in due to E and R in teamfights, AP he's basically an unstoppable nuke with massive true damage.

Im aware they will most likely run from me but as the tank for my team if their with me and i rush in they have no choice but to engage or we will push them. Another Thing I liked about this build was that it would allow me to push towers much faster and if they were trying to defend i could simply tank the tower while my team engages .. i dont really know. there are so many different things i had in mind but if they run from me they will lose and i dont think they want to have a 2 or three hour game jjust trying to avioid me. And If i am so tanky and have high AD and AP i can most likely penta the enemy team. Just a thought .. or theory lol. but thanks for clearing up that e thing he has, I always thought it was a steroid lol

Lethadind

03-24-2013

Quote:
xParadox420:
Im aware they will most likely run from me but as the tank for my team if their with me and i rush in they have no choice but to engage or we will push them. Another Thing I liked about this build was that it would allow me to push towers much faster and if they were trying to defend i could simply tank the tower while my team engages .. i dont really know. there are so many different things i had in mind but if they run from me they will lose and i dont think they want to have a 2 or three hour game jjust trying to avioid me. And If i am so tanky and have high AD and AP i can most likely penta the enemy team. Just a thought .. or theory lol. but thanks for clearing up that e thing he has, I always thought it was a steroid lol

It's not that they run away from you. They'll kite you. This means (imagine a kite) that they will hit you and run back, hit you and dodge your Q, hit you and dodge your W, hit you and run back, then they'll all-in you because you'll be so low that even with Feast you won't be able to kill them. It's quite common in higher-competitive play. They'll see you've stacked AD and know why, they'll laugh and simply stay away from your AA range.

Saint28

03-25-2013

I main Cho'gath and I am one of the best anyone has ever seen according to many aftergame comments and friend list invites. As top lane chogath there are two ways to play him, depedning on what champion you are facing. "farm harass and farm" and "Farm, Kill, Farm".

My build for Ap Bruiser goes RoA>Boots of Swiftness(VERY IMPORTANT, Cho'gath q's can be evry easy to dodge while running away, with boots of swiftness you can often catch up just enough to land a q)>Sightstone(very important in ranked esp. low elo, people do not ward enough!!!!)>Randuins> Abyssal Scepter>Warmogs/Hourglass/wits end

If you are the one needing to peel or engage i would suggest building......
Randuins/Frozen Heart( If enemy is auto attack heavy build FH, if not build Randuins)>Merc treads>Warmogs>Thornmail> Sunfire Cape>Spirit Visage

If you want to play AA chogath. i would suggest going this route

Nashor's Tooth> Merc Treads> WotA> Warmogs >Malady> Rageblade

As far as building ad on Cho, don't. It is not very useful at all. your job if you are not peeling is to literally eat the ad carry or ap carry and one shot the dude.

As Cho you are also the king of Monster security and sudden loss of health. In lane dont be afraid to use your feast as just damage rather than a finisher. often times a Feast and then ignite can kill someone at low health. but if you ignite and then feast, they may flash out of range or use a deny ability. (TRYNDAMERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Depend on minions to get you stacks, not other players. If your enemy lane goes back to base, use your feast as soon as possible on a creep (NOT SIEGE MINIONS, as that will push your lane really hard) your feast will be back up by the time they get back to lane unless they teleport.

NOW if you want to make the enemy mad, straight up build merctreads, thornmail, and 4 warmogs. Your job is literally to stand on top of the team. You are so large they cannot actually target your team mates with out using some sort of ability to force you to uncover them. And you are so tanky they have a hard time killing you. And thornmail on its own will kill most BotRK users and negate most of the damage it is doing to you.

Cho'Gath is easily one of the best champions in the league and one of the most game changing if played correctly.

HAVE FUN!