Cless' Dominion Beginner VIDEO Tutorial

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stralucire

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstreet View Post
if you do re-record i recommend a script so you aren't stumbling through stuff as much. the info is really good.
Scripts are invaluable. Especially if you're taking the role of "omniscient tutor". Clear, concise statements are the defining mark of authority in a tutorial, and you want to sound authoritative. As is, you're a bit wishy washy. Like Wing said, the information itself is very useful, but it's obvious your brain has to juggle with both playing and talking about the game at the same time.

As for the recent edits: you might want to look at how you cut the clips. So far they all seem to end abruptly, almost as if you've been cut off mid sentence. I'm not sure if the clips were mistakenly truncated, or if that was merely your most opportune moment, but it feels a bit awkward to watch them suddenly drop out (which is also solvable with a script).

Good stuff so far. Keep polishing it up.

Orphane

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
Scripts are invaluable. Especially if you're taking the role of "omniscient tutor". Clear, concise statements are the defining mark of authority in a tutorial, and you want to sound authoritative. As is, you're a bit wishy washy. Like Wing said, the information itself is very useful, but it's obvious your brain has to juggle with both playing and talking about the game at the same time.
Part of that is just how Cless talks regularly, I think. >.>

Torkable

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
Part of that is just how Cless talks regularly, I think. >.>
Canadians eh?

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2013

The 2.0 version is with the script. It's important in speech that you don't read every single line in you script because you come off monotone when reading your lines (horrible dubs of the 90s....my god). You have an outline and just points to help with it. Problem is, even with my script it won't play out exactly the way I want to because of how our champions are reacting to each other while it is recording. Try to skirmish properly when you have a whole log of information (see windmill fight and bot laning sections for my stumbling...also i discovered how to use the new ping since i wasn't around when they added it in so i'm like...ooh hey this is neat i should probably mention that) to go over and I can't multitask perfectly. This would be perfectly solved if LoL has that replay on live or was done a while ago (We've been asking this since beta...). LoLReplay is out of the question since for some reason it refuses to work with my computer and I've tried to get that thing to work and in the end just uninstalled it.

Also, the sections was me chopping up my original 18 minute video down into pieces. The original was seamlessly fluid and lead to the sections but omg braindead audience can't/won't/refuses to watch the whole thing cause omg that 18 minute video length. The reason it sounds like I was cut off in mid sentence is the same way Gandair feels when casting dominion games. I don't have a long enough of a break between sentences (that's also part of how I speak when I'm trying to go through information as fast but clearly as possible and still keep a little bit of my personality) before I start talking about the next subject.

Best bet for version 3.0 I guess is do silent video capture and somehow separately add in my mic as audio (dunno if my video editor can do that...basic windows movie maker 2011 which is a new version that I'm not used to). This is why I didn't want to do a video tutorial, my voice/tone is "wishy washy" since I know I don't have a good commentator voice. Don't get me started on the pitiful SR tutorial voice..."Watch out (monotone)" when getting close to a turret. Do people want to listen to a robot monotone or someone who sounds human with tone inflection. Perhaps I just need to enunciate more or something to get my words more clear.

Obviously if I worked at Riot or didn't make this project all about what I can do, I can get someone who does have a more authoritative voice to read my script and better video editing skills etc. to make it a top tier tutorial. There are teams in real life for a reason...to play on people's strengths. Mine is taking all the information there is, breaking it down and organizing it into understandable parts for the viewers. Trying to sound like a dictator/harsh tone was mentioned to me in my student teaching, but it is just a preference because in the end people's tones/personalities/teaching styles are unique so my mentor teacher said not to worry about it. I can only do simple, basic video recording/editing [cut/paste/fade in/fade out/default animation choices) and it drives me crazy on how I have to relearn on doing some stuff with Windows Movie Maker. The later version is almost completely different on what you can do to edit compared to the older version I was used to. There's some things that the old version can do and is not found in the later version (like merging clips together...).

Summary: I'm reaching the limits I can do for the technological aspect of the tutorial, the soft tone is part of who I am and is not the best tone for a tutorial and I am no voice actor to do a 180 on my personality/tone so going back and changing that is on the lowest of my priority. Doing the commentary in real time as opposed to doing the video and audio separately was to save me a technological headache (and I'm not showing my technological prowess anyways). I'm trying my best as if I work for Riot but without the tools available that Riot does have [especially the video editing and Phreak for speaking].

The True TL;DR: No one had a problem about what specific information was presented and the order of it (besides clipping/cutting off). That's what I wanted to focus on as those are the skills (looking at what information is available, then breaking it down into presentable/digestable parts appropriate for the audience) that I'm trying to market to Riot (not voice work, or my skills in video editing). Those will show in the advanced guide since there's a lot of information available and I get to choose which ones to highlight and present to players without frying their brains out from information overload.

Torkable

03-23-2013

I dont think anyone was critisizing your voice, your voice is fine . I think they were trying to say you sounded distracted because you are trying to do two things at the same time and knowing what you are going to say ahead of time could help.
I for one like your canadian accent.

Volandum

03-23-2013

Could you post the script? It would be easier to discuss that way.

Stralucire

03-23-2013

I apologize if my comment caused any offense, that wasn't the intention. Tork already hit the nail on the head: I think your voice is fine, it just sounds a bit distracted. And that's bound to happen when you try to play and comment in unison. TotalBiscuit aside, I don't really know anyone who can pull that off smoothly. It's just the nature of thinking.

A sound overlay would work well. But that won't necessarily change the presented information (and I entirely sympathize with your tech limitations). Ultimately, if you're happy with how the info turned out, then that's what matters.

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2013

Sorry about the previous post, I was in rant mode seeing the ignorant replies to Dominion from Feedski's post and I forgot to turn off rant switch.

Script (AKA can I read my own handwriting?)

Introduction
1. Welcome to the Crystal Scar, Fast paced game with ~20 minutes length
2. Champion Levels, skill points, and Starting Gold
3. How to Shop and its menu (you have no idea how many co-op vs ai games I've had where people would go through the entire game without buying anything...guess they don't know how to open the shop)
4. Stuck at platform until 1:20, timer up top. Aura details with mentioning life steal with reduced self-heals. Passive gold gain
5. Map locations: Base, the Points, global vision (lead in to no wards)

Moving up Top/What Top lane is like in the beginning
1. Starting route and hit a speed shrine.
2. Explain speed shrine (winged boots ahoy!)
3. Continue to Windmill to talk about capture
4. Capture point mechanics (damage to interrupt, right click at neutral, cursor timer)
5. Windmill skirmish and Neutral Turret stealth detection.
6. Complete capture (rune and progress bar indicator)
7. Health packs and location (minimap icon +)

Map Mechanics
8. Spawning Minions and the importance of minion waves at turrets
9. Dealing Damage to Nexus
a. Points (more and equal)
b. Champion kills (also mention it doesn't work when enemy nexus health is at 100 and below)
c. Quests (What it looks like, what do I get for completing it)
10. Storm Buff
a. Channeling
b. Looks
c. Shield and Zap
11. Wrap up the Top Laner's objectives/what they see in a typical dominion game after initial windmill fight.
a. Control Mid
b. Watch out for jungle ambushes
c. Fighting over Windmill
d. Hi storm buff

Mid
1. Letting teammates know & Heading to capture (mention right click)
2. Heading top after capture (through windmill)
3. Rest of the game is like normal top lane

Bot lane
1. Letting team mates know & heading bot to capture (mention right click)
2. Stay in the top half for health pack control (skirmish with Malz until it spawns)
3. Talk about two goals for bot: push and defend turret from minions (AKA neutralizations)
4. Show importance of large minion waves
5. Don't be afraid to call for help from top
6. Recall in Fog of War/Brush

Game is Ending
1. Nexus Explosion (ooh music)
2. Thank people for watching and there is an advanced guide [yes I'll work on that, but I think I'll take a short break before heading straight into it..lack of sleep...2am sleeping times when I'm usually heading to bed at 11pm. Also, DD tonight! It's been a while since I actually watched it from beginning to end]
3. Credits

From the Moving up Top section up until the Mid section was supposed to be one part. Was going for a fluid what does a top lane encounter as they go through (the motions) of a normal dominion game. Let's see..they move out, will hit a speed shrine, skirmish & capture/click a point, if they live or back off they'll need a heath pack, from there a team will have taken windmill so minions will spawn. Talk about at the nexus health since it be draining so go over mechanics of dealing damage to nexus via the 3 ways. saving quests for last because it'll spawn by then. Talk about quests. Last thing to fight over is storm shield so go cover that up and summarize that you'll be fighting in these areas for top.

Go create new games for mid and bot lane versions.