RRAAAAAAAAAAGGGEEEE 550 ping from 50s

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbortRetryFail

03-21-2013

So tonight I go to play some league and play my initial bot game for FWOD (sorry silver league, I'm not very good and I need the ip...you understand...right? Don't you...?). 550 ping!! Yikes. 11x what I am used to and it's like playing underwater.

So, I check out what's running on my machine with a little netstat, do a tracert, nothing weird and I don't seem particularly latent. Route to Riot is fine.

Fire up a circular capture and see this about every 40 frames:

http://sdrv.ms/11n4vUJ

This is my computer losing packets.

I then discovered that the copy of a large file from my laptop to a server had failed and automatically restarted (yay robocopy...kinda). Disappointed that I won't be LOLing tonight, but a good lesson in the power of diagnostics. This is also exactly how I got Comcast to eventually fix up my neighborhood's circuit about 18 months ago.

AlanComek

03-21-2013

Can you simplify this for us losers?

AbortRetryFail

03-22-2013

Hehe, a little. I am actually not an amazing network capture reader myself, which is why I try and play with it as much as I can.

The ReTransmit lines in red are my machine telling the server that it didn't receive a packet, and re-requesting it. The Dup Ack lines in yellow are the server telling my machine that its packets were getting acknowledged more than once. There are lots of reasons this can happen, but in this case it was most likely related to WAN acceleration by my ISP combined with the fact that I was using the majority of my upload bandwidth at the time.

I don't know if it is because I work on a large-scale cloud service, but I feel bad for both riot and users when they post things here like "I am lagging, fix your servers!" In some cases this is probably Riot's issue. In most cases it's probably the user's. Either way, this approach doesn't fix anything. An analytical approach helps find the issue, whether it's the user, Riot, or (often) some piece of the network path.