A Plea From a Bleeding Summoner from a Hemorrhaging Mode

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Painkillar

03-21-2013

GD Link: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post35837691

If it's possible, I humbly asked the Dominion community and anyone else that supports my message to keep this thread going until Riot is able to respond.

My name is Talon (real name). I've played Lol since Beta and have had the chance to immerse myself in all of the maps thus far, so far the one I enjoy the most is Dominion. However, there are many problems that currently plague the Dominion scene that must be addressed.
I did some brainstorming on what could be done to increase the Dominion playerbase as a whole.

This is some of the information I was able to compile from the point of view of a person who is starting out in LOL and people who would be interested from other maps; as well as my own perspective as a high elo player on the current #1 Dominion team. Here are some of the areas that must be focused on:

There is no link to Dominion anywhere on the main website, other than the link to the forums. There are a lot of newer players that came after the release of Dominion that don't even know the map exists. Under "Game Info," there is only Summoners Rift and Twisted Treeline. I'm aware that there is a standalone Dominion site that is not part of the main Lol site, however, it isn't linked from the main site and is so outdated that Pricilla's Blessing and Promote were still on the list of items and Summoner Spells. Prisilla's Blessing specifically has been off the items list for over a year.

It's impossible to grow the playerbase when newer players don't even know something exists. Please provide a link to the Dominion site under "Map Info" on the main site Legueoflegends.com where everyone congregates to give us some extra traffic on growing the community.

There is no Tutorial to dominion. It's impossible for newer players to get used to a mode that differs from SR/TT when they don't know what they're doing. Some people I played with on my smurf didn't even know how to capture a tower. Some guidance is needed and the Dominion community would gladly help if any assistance is needed. If riot doesn’t have the resources right now to make one, than the community would gladly make one if Riot would be willing to put a link up for it on their site.

There is no ranked. Even though the majority of players don't play ranked, it is an advertisement in itself through streaming and other means that spread the "good word." Not only that, but it keeps other Summoner's invested in Lol to where they are probably more likely to stick with the game and hence, do more good for the game as a whole.

Dominion's image has been tainted into this "joke mode," due to the lack of ranked and people coming from other modes to troll around in. It's also hard for people to learn the Dominion meta if they don't know who the high elo people are since not everyone watches the Dominate Dominion Tournaments.

There is no exposure. The Dominion competitive scene and the map as a whole has grown a lot since it first started. Riotnome has done wonders on a lot of the issues that were plaguing the scene just over the last few months. However, most people are still misinformed into thinking Dominion is all about backcapping and stacking bruisers, a stereotype from what dominion was like in it's infancy, or at low elo.

Now in competitive Dominion there is a good mix of everything and every champion. In finals matches, teams are balanced between melee and ranged; and champion picks have sometimes included diversity of unusual champions such as Fiora, Nasus, Karma, and even Sejuani. Dominion got very good exposure at release, but then it drastically fell off, it needs a spotlight on what it has evolved to.

Another thing that might help build the community is for Dominion posts from General Discussion not to be automatically sent to the Dominion Forum. I don't know the reason for this, but it's borderline infuriating and insulting to the dominion playerbase to be treated in such a manner. Everyone literally thinks that Riot is maliciously ignoring them, which doesn't make for a happy playerbase.

Use your community. Currently the Dominion community is a very tight niche community that will do anything to give the mode the exposure it deserves. However, we don't have the resources of Riot or a Total Biscuit in our corner. If Riot has any available, allow the Dominion community to use some of Riots resources and we'll gladly do all the work for you. When Riot linked a Dominion tourney on Facebook the viewers nearly upped by nearly x20. More little boosts like this is all we need to allow ourselves to grow till we have a large sustainable playerbase.

Kassidan - He's been a massive problem nearly since Dominion started, responsible for a great amount of people leaving due to the frustration of the overwhelming advantage a semi-competent Kassidan can bring to the team. Due to there not being a laning phase to keep him in check, he's able to build mana tank and out-damage, out-chase, out-gank, out-cc, out-escape, out-tank, and out-class every champion by a sizable margin. He either needs a rework, to be disabled on this map, or a sizable nerf to put him in check.

Dominion Curser Bug - This is a real problem for people who want to play Dominion. Essentially a persons curser disappears, which makes it extremely hard to play the game if a player has no idea where their pointer is. There have been multiple threads and even Riot responses over the last year and a half and the issue has yet to be resolved. Some work is greatly needed here.
These are just some of the things that I found that could be done to help. My intention isn't for this to be taken as a complaint thread, but a thread to hopefully spark a way to solve these problems. I want to know what I could do, or what the community could do, as well as ask Riot for help to help make these points into something tangible. I am humbly asking in what way these issues could be addressed, or ideas/steps that we as a community can do to help with these issues. In hopes that we can grow your playerbase even further through another game mode, resulting in Riot growing even more prestigious for the fantastic game that you've made.

Or at the very least, give us some kind of response that you still want to actually support the mode so we can either give up, or drag your asses to glory whether you like it or not. But some meaningful response is needed from Riot, we're exhausted from beating our heads into the wall from being in limbo and we're tired of being ignored.

Dominion is a very fun map, especially at high elo, and I’d like to see the playerbase not bleed anymore from lack of TLC, please upvote to support my cause. Even if you don't play Dominion, we are all part of the League community and we should all strive to make all aspects of this game to grow to it's fullest potential.

I'd like to give my thanks to any Rioter or League community member who took time to read this post,

Talon (Painkillar)

Chezbayou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2013

Riot won't read this. They have left dominion to die... I wish it wasn't true but this mode will die soon and become an empty husk of a mode because of their neglect.

jakolipo

03-21-2013

You make several good points. Unfortunately, I am sure Riot knows about all these issues. As of now they just do not seem to care.

Lameador

03-21-2013

too many dominion threads are suddenly fighting to survive in GD, i think this may trigger the "send everything called dominion to dominion forums" bots

Chavez Obama

03-21-2013

Props to you for the effort, hope it makes a difference

NamKim

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameador View Post
too many dominion threads are suddenly fighting to survive in GD, i think this may trigger the "send everything called dominion to dominion forums" bots
I think at this point, they will just post the same thread there over and over and over and over again until it finally gets a Rioter's response. After a certain period of time, enough people will get fed up and just leave League of Legends altogether and move on to Blizzard games. At least they're honest about ignoring their communities.

But, I rather stay optimistic for now and hope that they are reading it and will respond to at least one of those threads. Personally, I prefer PainKillars over any of the other ones.

Torkable

03-21-2013

Hes bleeding, get him some painkillars

Balloon Sale

03-21-2013

Hey Painkillar,

I appreciate all the time you've spent creating this thread, and the maintenance that followed. I can't really get into or speculate about any of their plans for Dominion, but I'm going to send this thread off to RiotNome so that it's on his radar!

Additionally, I'm going to need to restrict bumps for this to the Dominion subforum. I know you want them in GD for visibility, but the Dominion subforums are there for a reason pal!

(I bumped the thread on General Discussion too)

NamKim

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Sale View Post
Hey Painkillar,

I appreciate all the time you've spent creating this thread, and the maintenance that followed. I can't really get into or speculate about any of their plans for Dominion, but I'm going to send this thread off to RiotNome so that it's on his radar!

Additionally, I'm going to need to restrict bumps for this to the Dominion subforum. I know you want them in GD for visibility, but the Dominion subforums are there for a reason pal!

(I bumped the thread on General Discussion too)
With all due respect, No.

RiotNome can only solve one, maybe two, of the problems listed. For the rest, it involves other members of Riot. If you could forward this is other members of Riot and have them actually respond back, then yes, we wouldn't need to bump it.

But chances are high that such a thread is going to be moved over the Dominion forum anyways. So, in a way, you will get your wish and stop bumping the bumping of the thread in GD. Just not in the form you would expect.

Torkable

03-21-2013

So, threads about dominion are not allowed on a board labeled General Discussion: Discuss League of Legends Here. A board where pretty much any topic is allowed. A board where 90% of the post are obnoxious **** posts. Obnoxious **** posts are fine, but constructive posts on a game mode that Riot has explicitly stated they want the community's help on increasing awareness and helpfulness, those are not fine.
Go sell balloons imo.