What I Feel ARAM Needs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beravin

03-21-2013

Hello everyone! I'm an ARAM enthusiast, and I have played several thousands of ARAM games over the years. However, I believe that this mode, while ridiculously fun, has a number of in game quality of life issues that can (and should) be dealt with. I also believe these issues can be fixed with items, without making major changes to the game play in any significant way. I merely wish to discuss the problems that players have with ARAM, and the ways in which we can fix them.

Please Note. I am not overly concerned with balance. I am more worried about the enjoyment of the players, their ability to participate in the game, and their level of "fun." Anything I suggest in this thread will be specific to ARAM, and none of my suggestions should be related to any other mode or field. I will include a short version (TLDR) for each section.

1. Control And Its Lack Of Counters

The Problem. This mode is completely random, so it is not uncommon to go up against so much control that you might consider it "unfair." It can get to the point where a player (or even a whole team) gets locked down for the entirely of a fight, crushing a teams morale and making the players feel like there is very little they can do. Now, I have no issues with these kinds of mechanics, what I do have an issue with is its lack of effective counters. Mercury Treads / Mercurial Scimitar / Quick Silver Sash can only go so far, and there is very little you can do when a new form of control is quickly reapplied.

The Solution. I would like to see a new item that helps deal with these situations a little better. This item should also be melee based, as the champions that usually get locked down are the ones that need to be in the middle of things. It also needs to start off weak so it can not be abused against teams with limited control. However, its control-resistance (if you will) should gradually get stronger as you are hit with more and more control. This effect should last for a few seconds, and have its effect increased for each application of control. A player should never be controlled from full health to death.

Short Version. I think control is a serious issue in ARAM. Players are often killed from 100% to 0% without actually being able to do anything. I want an item that reduces control effects, and gets stronger each time it is applied.

2. Poke Versus The Lack Of Poke

The Problem. I have a few issues with going up against poke teams when you have little poke of your own. It is difficult to coordinate with other players to the point where you can actually deal with the problem, and start pushing the pokers back. I feel that the main problem is that people do not want to engage when they are on low health, even if it would be better for the team to do so, because they know they will probably die and not accomplish much. Because of this, I believe that poke needs to be a little easier to manage when you have limited options for a hard engage or a form of ranged retaliation.

The Solution. I would like to see an item like Chalice of Harmony, but one that works for health instead. The idea is that it regenerates health based on the percentage of missing health, as opposed to a flat amount like that of Warmog's Armour. It needs to have a very weak effect when you are on high health, but in return, it should give you a meaningful amount of health regeneration when you are almost dead. Alternatively, I would like to see an item that rewards players for contributing. This item should give a certain amount of health when you kill an enemy, and a smaller amount when you get an assist.

Short Version. Poke teams will try and keep you low, and people do not want to engage when they are low. Poke teams are difficult for the average team to deal with. Non poke teams need better forms of sustain / health regeneration.

3. The Effectiveness Of Burst Damage

The Problem. I have often been in the situation where I am the only melee champion, and the rest of my team and most of the enemy team are all burst related ranged characters. It probably goes without saying that I am often left to initiate on behalf of my team, and that I'll usually end up very dead very quickly. It is not uncommon for me to die in less than a few seconds, and this makes it difficult to contribute to the fight. Even if we win because they blew up of their cooldowns on the one player, it is still no fun to get blown up, and being unable to participate in the fight as anything other than a sacrficial lamb.

The Solution. I would like to see an item effect that that reduces large amounts of damage, based on how often and how quickly it occurs. For example, if I am hit with Tibbers for 15% of my health, this item would react and increase my magic resistance by a large amount. If I am then hit by a Lux lazer for another 10% of my health, this item would react again and further increase my magic resist. This items effect should wear off quickly, but its boost to resistance should be significant in that time. The idea is not to minimize magic damage, but to prevent people from being bursted from 100% -> 0%.

Short Version. Melee players are often used to initiate a fight for the sake of the team. Trouble is, they tend to go boom very quickly, thanks to burst damage. I want an item that increases resistances based on X% of damage taken.

I will update this with the issues and suggestions of other players, but I have limited time, so this will not be often. Please contribute if you agree, disagree, have another issue, or think an issue can be solved in a better way. I want to offer Riot an idea as to what can be done to make ARAM a more enjoyable experience for the player base as a whole (if at all).

Sharky Shark

03-21-2013

I like the "health" chalice idea to replace warmogs (or make up for the lack of it.)

As for the bursted down thing, I think we just need more magic resistance problems.

Aegis is the only item that offers both magic resist and armor. We should be given more options for when faced with a team with a lot of burst and heavy ad.

There should be more items that offer both magic resistance and health/health regeneration. The only current ones are Aegis, Banshee's and Spirit Visage.

For armor, there is Aegis, Sunfire Cape, Randuin's, Banner of Command, and Locket of the Iron Solari. Not to mention thornmail against teams with a lot of attack damage.

Maybe there should be a magic resistance version of thornmail.

shadowcrusnik

03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky Shark View Post
I like the "health" chalice idea to replace warmogs (or make up for the lack of it.)

Maybe there should be a magic resistance version of thornmail.

Yea, *cough cough*, somthing that, like has to do with the force of nature or something. If only they had a reliable MR item like that in the game anymore.....

Beravin

03-22-2013

I'm inclined to agree. Bulwark is an excellent item, and so is Spirit Visage, but most bursters will pick up a Voidstaff and shred right through it anyway. That is why most people rush health, MR/AR does not seem to cut it this season.

I remember Riot saying they would never do an MR version of Thornmail though. It was something about AD carries not having cooldowns on their autoattacks, but casters had those cooldowns to limit their damage / burst potential.

Basically, MR Thornmail is not going to happen, since casters and carries work in different ways.

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

1) you're talking about diminishing returns. Game's like WoW have this, but it's not the panacea you're hoping for. Run both QSS and cleanse if you're concerned about CC. You are now the dark god of diving the ADC.

2) The counter to poke is engagement. See Fanatic vs Evil Geniuses this week for the power of Shurelya's to turn around a game previously dominated by poke. That said, I like the idea of an HP Athene's

3) That sounds obscenely OP. What's wrong with Maw of Malmortious? If you wanted to buff that item, how would you do so?

Beravin

03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theungry View Post
1) you're talking about diminishing returns. Game's like WoW have this, but it's not the panacea you're hoping for. Run both QSS and cleanse if you're concerned about CC. You are now the dark god of diving the ADC.
First of all, the new ARAM system will be "blind random", and I doubt we'll see much of Cleanse at all. Second, investing heavily in control-reduction means losing out on a lot of other stats that you'll need to have for actual combat.

If you buy anti CC items, but the other team does not need to, they will have an item advantage.

Quote:
2) The counter to poke is engagement. See Fanatic vs Evil Geniuses this week for the power of Shurelya's to turn around a game previously dominated by poke. That said, I like the idea of an HP Athene's
Yes, but thats the problem, the average team can not handle constant engagement very well. A lot of ranged teams also have good access to control, enough to keep most melees at bay. They usually have good damage on top of that.

That, and you cant really relate tactics from SR to PG, as they are both played very differently.

Quote:
3) That sounds obscenely OP. What's wrong with Maw of Malmortious? If you wanted to buff that item, how would you do so?
Maw of Malmortious is an excellent item, but the shield is rather odd. It activates when you are on very low health, but by then the burst has already done the damage, and you are going to be in a terrible situation no matter what you do.

I think Malmortious is a strong item for dueling, but not all that strong in a teamfight situation.

SqueekToy

03-28-2013

Everybody hates leavers in aram. So i suggest a quickstart button that everyone can push to start the game sooner, hopefully reducing the wait time and the leavers that bug THE HELL out of everyone