Karma's new VoiceOver... why Riot, why?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ghoeb

03-20-2013

INCOMING TEXT WALL:
Ok, first of all, I apologize beforehand for all that is said here. This is a very negative post...
But I'm really hurt and don't like the idea to swallow it if we have this boards.

I know you guys lately have been caring much more about the lore than before...

It was said with the Karma remake she would be the ultimate embodiment of Ionia. I really couldnt wait when her rework was announced (around Nami's release if i recall), and i've been following the whole process(as i could...) I've always liked Karma, but sometimes you couldn't to much by your own, and if you ask me, AP Karma is the best, so i was excited to know they were going to give her more independence, and more focus for those who liked her as a mage. Time passed and i had to eat my anxiety.

Finally, someone leaked something and news started to flow! And the splash art leaked...
I inmediately put her splash as my "cover photo" in facebook. I really love how she looks now.

Then the abilities were revealed, and again it was great.

When it hit the PBE, her voice was published.

I like that now her skin is darker...But THAT was pushed too far. Now Karma sounds like a "strong, independant black woman who don't need no man". That is pretty non Ionian. Unless this Karma rework is a "Surprise Ionia rework!! -> Now instead of being oriental, its afroamerican themed!" (Ok that sounds racist, i'm sorry)

She does not speak calmly, nor firmly, and does not sound wise or balanced...or enlightened. And worst of all: Does not fit the character. Does no fit the model, nor the lore, nor her abilities, nor her splash. Maybe im just exaggerating. But it wouldn't hurt to look at the comments below the VO video in youtube.

What hurts me more, anyway, is the way she pronounces the Mantras. The accent is too strong there, like she's trying to say something in another languaje and it doesnt work out well...

I'll most likely have to stick with Traditional Karma, thinking that this VoiceOver was already made (and paid for i suppose) even though the new classic skin looks SO GOOD! D: Or play without sound. That may do the trick.

Ty for reading.
END OF TEXT WALL

Helyous

03-20-2013

I don't care THAT much about the way she speaks most of her quotes. Indeed, the voice actress is awfully horrible. However... her Mantras... Damnable be Nashor, those Mantras! They simply don't sound like Mantras. It actually reminds me the Avatar's language from the movie Avatar. In her old voice her Sa Elassar Teravi were a lot more calm. Now she puts way to much strength in her "T"s making it sound strong while it is supposed to be calm. Indeed it is something hard to do (a calm pacifist in a war scarred land, lol) but it is possible. I still wonder why they didn't called her old one. Or at least found a more similar one (like in Annie. You can tell it isn't the same person, but it still is close enough).

Lady Riolyne

03-21-2013

I knew I was going to stick with the original skin. It'd have to be pretty damn awesome for me to switch from it.

As for the voice overs.... yeah I might have to mute them. It was my assumption that she was supposed to be middle eastern, she sounds African american. I'd be fine with the added emphasis, removing more of the calm demeanor (it is a war going on around her, no one has the abilities to remain completely calm.) only of the voice sounded middle eastern. I'd accept the asian accent too.

Perhaps its time I tried switching the voiceovers to another language.

Electrotapped

03-21-2013

Agreed. Her VOs are not at all calm. Her dialogue is supposed to be based on meditation, but it sounds like she's being voiced by an angry Laila Ali. Her mantra's sound like very harsh Creole Voodoo chants. It really doesn't fit her character as a peacemaking Ionian dignitary.

Riot has managed fixed Karma's gameplay and model, but made another part of her worst.

Blaine Tog

03-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoeb View Post
She does not speak calmly, nor firmly, and does not sound wise or balanced...or enlightened. And worst of all: Does not fit the character. Does no fit the model, nor the lore, nor her abilities, nor her splash. Maybe im just exaggerating. But it wouldn't hurt to look at the comments below the VO video in youtube.
This. She sounds like she's trying too hard.