@Riot, Preference System (solution to champion select dilemma)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dead robit

03-20-2013

hello riot,

I'd like to take a moment to express my thoughts on what a possible solution i have come up with for the dilemma of people battling over who called what first in champion select and those toxic players that will pick what role they want regardless of what roles have been picked already.

Now I'm aware that you good folks at riot do not wish to enforce the meta, thus when many players have suggested the " Que as role system" you guys have rejected it because not only does it enforce the meta it also gives the true toxic trolls the option to Que as support get a fast timer and then say they are playing top/ mid etc so they don't have to wait as long as if they chose support.( i am aware this isn't the solution)

so onto the actual solution. i will let the community and you good people over there doing your job wonderfully at riot and giving us an awesome game, decide whats best.

MY SOLUTION: ( this will be completely optional to players whether they use it or not.) but under the profile page make a tab similar to runes or masteries. and label it " Preferences"
this will be an area where players can select what roles they ENJOY playing. not what they are que'ing for just what they like to play most. it wont be mandatory for players to fill this out before playing ranked or at all for that matter. but here is the neat part.

If you don't want to enforce the meta on even a preference level, like perhaps "i enjoy playing top mid and adc", you could limit it even more and not be localized to meta roles, rather champions. instead perhaps it could be "hey i love to play draven kayle nasus garen and morganna"( and have the game engine identify where you like to play those) I understand the programming for this engine to be put into matchmaking would take a long time to construct and fine tune and it would probably cost you a little bit of money to pull it off smoothly. however i think the community would love it.

i would hope it would be integrated after the current system and by this i mean i don't want it to be "oh we have players who prefer mid top and adc so the system is now looking for jungler and support players" that is not what i want. Simply if you are in ranked matchmaking and its looking for players and there's the option of two players " hey this guy and this guy but one likes top and one likes support the game engine sees that i prefer not to play support and i prefer to play top it could pick the one player best suited for my teammate based on this engine. That way it is not waiting for certain roles to be filled and its not 3 minutes in que waiting for support.

Now there will still be those times when both players want the same role. BUT>>>>>>>>> I believe this would probably fix about 20-30 % of trolling and toxicity based on the low presence it would have when finding players.but i really feel like if i had 20-30 % less trolls and i think the community stands with me it would be SO MUCH BETTER

Let me give you a scenario I see this fixing
Player A : he is a normal player who is on a bad streak, has lost the last 4 games including his division series and then some. Player A feels he is not at fault for those because he had an afk and a feeder and a troll. Player A now feels he really has to “ carry” to win his place back. Player A gets into a Que and he is 4th pick. Player A and Player B who is second pick, both want mid. Player A now becomes toxic and starts saying things like “mid or I feed” “ I’m at 0 can’t go down “ “ duo mid idc” from this point the rest of the team is suffering either till a dodge or the match ends.

Now here is how my system will help both player A (even though in this situation he is the bad guy) and players B through E that all suffer because of this discrepancy. Lets say this Que if there was the preference system and this particular match that player got matched with people who preferred other roles he got to play what he wanted, ( mid) , now Player A who was on the verge of being toxic. Can now communicate with his team work together have higher chances of winning and move farther and farther away from turning into a toxic player.

I am aware this is not full-proof and it in no way will 100 % of the time stop the true toxic trolls. However i do believe it could drastically have a difference on the amount of times there are role discrepancies in champion select.

I would really love to hear back from the community and if possible riot. on possible flaws they see in this system or questions they have. I know i didn't explain it as properly as i could, but if i had a question i am sure i could answer it in great detail

dead robit

03-20-2013

no one wants to read the 5 page essay that would make their lives so much better :c

Sandmanne

03-20-2013

Maybe I want an AP carry top lane, tank and adc mid, and double bruiser bot. How would I use my custom meta in your obviously not meta enforcing system?

dead robit

03-21-2013

The same way you go about that right now in the current system you tell your teammates. its frowned upon because its not common and its not the meta. i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the meta. all i'm sayings is right now if you had a little button that said "id like to play top lane" and you enable it and now maybe there are 30 % less games where you are fighting for top with someone else.

You wouldn't want that? this is in no way mandatory it is not a que for role system where every player has to pick something from the meta. its a choice whether you use this system or not. lets say 4 out of 5 players didn't pick a preference before queing and the 5th player preferred top. this changed absolutely nothing. now the next game lets say 2 players preferred to play mid and adc and the other 2 didn't set a preference. you now have a 40 % higher chance than before of getting the role you like.

This system would only effect those who want to use it. for those who want to have unconventional strategies. like the one you mentioned. simply don't put a preference. and express to your team mates same as you would now that you wish to apc top tank adc mid and bruiser bot. it will not affect you. only will it affect those who have discrepancies in champion select.

If that didn't clear things up please ask again and i will try to elaborate more.

dead robit

03-21-2013

please for all those who read express your thoughts be it negative or positive id really like to hear the communities opinion. it would mean a lot and help me and possibly this system if you voice your thoughts or concerns.

Skrubs

03-22-2013

From what I've read what you suggest just isn't viable. It would require a heavy investment and wouldn't completely resolve the issues you are addressing. I wouldn't think that a company would invest lots of money on a feature that doesn't work. You would still have the occasional clashes, which is really a minor issue compared to other areas of focus.

The thing is that people would choose their preferences or not... if you prefer mid and no one else you've been grouped with declared preferences, they could ALL want mid too. And for the multi choosers... I'd like MID or TOP... you get paired with at TOP BOT and a MID TOP and so on... you will still have the issues that need to worked out on the personal level. All that has been created is a fancy button to press or not to press on you profile screen, time and resources spent processing whatever will be processed and then ragers posting on forums about how the preference button doesn't work.

It's great that you are trying to come up with a way to solve the issue, kudos for that, but you will never ever ever ever get the general public to rationally settle disagreements over the internet. No amount of software can change that. You might be on to something about looking into character trends while grouping, but it just doesn't seem like there is bang for the buck there. For what little impact if any this system would have to improve gamer "happiness" they would get more value out of a new champion, skins or maps.

Jerjare

03-22-2013

I don't see why preferences couldn't be integrated into queueing. For instance, putting 'support' under your preference would likely get you in games much faster.

They could then also tailor the matchmaking based on how effective you tend to be in your 'preferred' role (ie if you prefer mid but die all the time, you're given less 'priority' than a player that facerolls with mid).

Inuzanryu

03-22-2013

Lets just shorten this WHOOLE system
And just have support as a REQUIREMENT. IE when all other lanes have been picked, if there is no support champ, the last guy only gets to choose from supports. It would suck, but hey, that last guy is usually a dumb-a anyways and wants to go double adc bot (screwing bottom over essentially because he wants half the CS too) because he doesn't like supporting, meanwhile other people actually conform to roles when they see a deficit on their team, so screw their opinions, it's what they get.

Inuzanryu

03-22-2013

Also, if support was required more people would know how to play support, just a thought.

dead robit

03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrubs View Post
From what I've read what you suggest just isn't viable. It would require a heavy investment and wouldn't completely resolve the issues you are addressing. I wouldn't think that a company would invest lots of money on a feature that doesn't work. You would still have the occasional clashes, which is really a minor issue compared to other areas of focus.

The thing is that people would choose their preferences or not... if you prefer mid and no one else you've been grouped with declared preferences, they could ALL want mid too. And for the multi choosers... I'd like MID or TOP... you get paired with at TOP BOT and a MID TOP and so on... you will still have the issues that need to worked out on the personal level. All that has been created is a fancy button to press or not to press on you profile screen, time and resources spent processing whatever will be processed and then ragers posting on forums about how the preference button doesn't work.

It's great that you are trying to come up with a way to solve the issue, kudos for that, but you will never ever ever ever get the general public to rationally settle disagreements over the internet. No amount of software can change that. You might be on to something about looking into character trends while grouping, but it just doesn't seem like there is bang for the buck there. For what little impact if any this system would have to improve gamer "happiness" they would get more value out of a new champion, skins or maps.
While you sir have a few valid points let me point out what i agree with and what i disagree with. Either way i appreciate your input

You seem to look at it as a 1 game basis " if you prefer mid and no one else you've been grouped with declared preferences, they could ALL want mid too." while this in itself is true. Though current trends will show. This does not happen 100 % of games you are in

Take 100 games maybe 70 of them you still have role discrepancies. but maybe the 30 of them you don't because of the preference system. Now that's a chance that it will filter out 30 games you could have potentially fought with teammates and causes a lost because of it.

On to the issue of multi role calling. " i prefer top and mid" yes you could still get the games where you have role discrepancies because of multiple people wanting two roles. say 3 people want MID or TOP there are still going to be multiple people who want the same role. but that's no different than how it is now. the difference is the other 50 % of the time that this doesn't happen because the system is designed to pick people that are compatible to play with each other

To your point about bang for buck. while yes i am not going to argue you are right it would benefit riot more FINANCIALLY to make a new skin or champion. we all know that's not what riot is only concerned with. YES they are a business and if needs to be worth it to them. but riot has shown s before they care about the community and its ideas. lets just say that this thread got large and became a poll and most all summoners would rather have this than not have it. riot might just implement this.

i challenge any person to point out if they would not want this if you had the option of this is in the game or its not and you and other people can chose it or not. i don't know any player who would rather have it not in the game at all.