A thread you've seen a Million times

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silver Frostfyre

03-19-2013

First things first, I suck at this game.

I'm aware of this fact, despite the amount of smoke I blow about 'bad teammates' etc. when I'm losing, I know that I'm nowhere near the skill I NEED to be if I want to advance. This isn't a question of 'how to beat the system' or anything of the like, rather I need assistance in a slightly more productive and less self-serving manner.

I've been trying to look up ways to improve my game, because outside of work spending time with my soon-to-be fiance, and sleeping, I don't really have that much of a social life so I figured I'd dedicate it to something I enjoy. HOWEVER, despite my desire to improve, I have a lot of issues locating sources of learning material that aren't obfuscated beyond a level I can actively commit to at this time (mathematical breakdowns and statistical analyses are great and all but I still don't really understand most of it cause outside of when I do VERY basic coding I don't do any techno-babble).

So ultimately what I'm asking is below in the synopsis:

TL;DR I suck, I want to not suck. Please help direct me to little-brain friendly resources to not suck.

Thanks!

Dragoon0123

03-19-2013

Ditto

TrolliOlli

03-19-2013

This is the type of thread I rarely see actually, most threads of this context are all created by individuals with a heavy case of self serving bias. "It's always the teams fault not mine."

TrolliOlli

03-19-2013

Haha just remembered I didn't really give any advice, but first just a disclaimer I am by no means a high ranked player however I have improved immensely by doing this. Play different roles often there a key skill sets that each role utilizes heavily and by playing these roles you are practicing the skill sets. For example jungling will help you with map awareness and it will give you a sense of how a jungler thinks this helps you know when to back up when to push/engage in trades, also knowing when to gank(of course, but this also translates to mid). Trading is key in every lane playing lanes such as top and mid, being solo lanes will help you understand when and how to trade with the opponents, also these lanes will give you an appreciation of warding and knowing where to ward to both keep you safe and give your team map dominance. Then bot lane being the only duo lane will give you a sense of synergy with teamates, knowing when to back up a teamate and when to leave him to die is very key for not throwing games. There are a lot more to be learned I just listed some basic stuff.

Selcopa

03-20-2013

Ive said this in a few threads.

The absolute fastest way to improve it to hire a coach. Find a good one that has your interests in mind. Its a simple transaction, you give them $20, they instill as much knowledge as possible to help you improve.

You name any competition, sport, or skill based activity, this is the hands down fastest approach.

Its good to see you want to improve, many players do not want to improve, however you must keep in mind that improving is not an accident, if you play 500 games will you be better? I certainly hope so, but playing 500 games with the intent of improving after each one will get you much farther than just queuing all day and mindlessly getting better at the game.

You need to learn what YOU do wrong personally, not what your teammates, if you can learn from your teammates that's a great convenience, but you need to figure out what you personally are doing wrong, and then stop doing that. That might mean CS better, poke better, better positioning in team fights, there are literally hundreds of different things I could list, its impossible for me to make a generic list for you.

The challenge is actually identifying them, as an individual you don't consciously do the wrong move on purpose, so sometimes you cant see what you are doing wrong, what windows you are missing.

That's where a low fanbase streamer comes in, they're looking for dedicated fans, they're willing to put some work into getting those fans, many will offer free help to players. Also as I said, finding a reputable coach will make the process go faster.

Finding a coach/streamer, and practicing the things you need to work on, that's what you need to do to get better. Basic strategy with ANY skill set, league, sports, or life.

noobstix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2013

One really easy things to do to get better - pick just one hero to play. Master that hero and match ups against other specific heroes.

Other than that, after looking at your lolking is you can definitely work on dying less. I tried to get my average deaths down by 1 a week ago and its already helped my game significantly.

ArisColdsac

03-20-2013

watch some tutorial videos.
Find a role you enjoy playing, adc, mid, top, etc. then find a champion you like, then find a tutorial video with full commentary from the best player of that champion and find some tournament videos of how they play these roles in games. and practice.
Before I committed to play TF to climb elo, I watched Misaya's latest TF video, with his commentary, 5 times while practicing in normal games.

Silver Frostfyre

04-09-2013

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Right now I'm having issues getting ahold of some decent Nami instruction though. I know she's good, her ratios and overall utility to most team compositions can atest to that but I need to see HOW to play her (specifically her Q). Because I know that at least where I'm currently at, all I hear is that 'Nami is bad because her Q' despite the fact her other abilities are on par or better than her alternate picks.

Baxter the Teddy

04-09-2013

Nami's Q is amazing. I actually just won a game as Nami

Her E is secretly where it's at though!

HandyMan62

04-09-2013

I would highly recommend installing lolreplay, it records the games you play and when you lose a game and rewatch it I will hope you can identify some easy mistakes you made where you could be thinking when watching the replay would've been stupid, it will help you with reasoning and basically everything that you could've done or done something different that could of changed the game.