Restricted Chat Mode is Live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thousander

03-20-2013

Bravo, excellent work on coming up with a solution that both penalizes and encourages players to stick to one account.

I just wanted to throw out an idea you could consider if you start to find that chat restrictions are not enough of a deterance (especially in situations like intentional feeding, distruptive game play etc that are not prevented by chat restrictions):

Perhaps a system that docks IP for bad behavior. So first infraction docks 1000 IP, second infraction 6000 IP etc, whatever. This would create a situation where the first infraction sets a player back on their question for that new champ. Further infractions would create a debt situation that a player would have to play, and most importantly try to work with their teams to win games (for the higher IP gains) in order to bring their IP balance back to a place where they could progress normally in the game.
This would 'hit them in the wallet' so to speak, which gets everyone's attention.

Just a thought!

Gigglestomp

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
1) We may consider allowing players to opt-in to Restricted Chat Mode in the future, but it won't be available for the first few experiments that use the feature.

2) The new pings have streamlined a lot of needed communication in the game. A majority of players don't say anything in-game beyond "gg" and "glhf," and that's acceptable in League of Legends. I have no clue why players think they will suddenly receive a barrage of "Refusing to Communicate" reports and suddenly be banned.
I always thought refusal to communicate was a little misleading.

This was not made (as you would think) to punish people who do not talk.

It was made to punish people who make radical and unexpected decisions without informing the team so they can compensate.

For example, if someone decided to go "Support Ashe" they had better communicate that to the team, otherwise there will be a support ashe AND a support sona in the lane.

But you can't exactly change "Refusal to Communicate" to "Refusal to clarify unusual choices or preemptively state rash actions."

Xenolithium

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocre Top View Post
Way less raging now I bet.
I doubt it.

Drevarius

Social Systems Designer

03-20-2013
8 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icraig33 View Post
While I think this is really great, I have to ask. When you say that people will have to play a set amount of matchmade games to lift the restriction, does that count games where the player gets reported even with restriced chat on? or do those not count? I know it sounds like a stupid question, it's just that the wording is a little unclear
Since reports aren't 'verified' as legitimate until they've been reviewed (such as in the Tribunal), there is no simple way to relate the two.

If you are found guilty of further toxic behavior by the Tribunal, punishments will escalate the same way they did prior to the attachment of chat restrictions.

Gazow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2013

hey drevarius- are you ever planning to reverse permabans in favor of this new method?

these statements seem to imply it:

Quote:
-The feature had to be reasonably valuable to the punished player to encourage them to stay on their main account

-Restricted players will no longer be able to jump onto a smurf account for a few days, and then jump back on their main

-we will begin completely replacing some types of bans with Restricted Chat Mode.

heybinh

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazow View Post
hey drevarius- are you ever planning to reverse permabans in favor of this new method?

Yes @Dravious can you please address this comment...I feel that people who have been found previously guilty for negative attitiude then permabanned, this system could of saved them. Also i want to thank you for creating this wonderful idea.

unpredictability

03-20-2013

^ obviously not lol

Linaeus

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybinh View Post
Yes @Dravious can you please address this comment...I feel that people who have been found previously guilty for negative attitiude then permabanned, this system could of saved them. Also i want to thank you for creating this wonderful idea.
This system wouldn't save them. They are still able to type enough to get banned. This is a gift for players who don't want to be ridiculed, not a gift for those who are negative and abusive.

Drevarius

Social Systems Designer

03-20-2013
9 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazow View Post

I'm sorry guys, I definitely don't want you guys to get the wrong impression and fail to meet your expectations.

We do not have any plans to reverse bans.

However, we are working hard to make this the best system we can, and we really do value your feedback.

Xiao Rettousei

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drevarius View Post
I'm sorry guys, I definitely don't want you guys to get the wrong impression and fail to meet your expectations.

We do not have any plans to reverse bans.

However, we are working hard to make this the best system we can, and we really do value your feedback.
Hey drevarius , can we formulate a demand to have OUR OWN chat restricted? Also can we decide for howmuch time? I feel like a year of chat restricted would do the job for me