The Ferromancer: A Morde player's thoughts about the new Kaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bolshoi

11-03-2010

So Morde got a pretty hefty change in the recent patch and some people are all up in arms about it. So I thought I'd share a bit about what has brought myself and other Morde players success with the new Master of Metal.

The Changes

Quote:
Mace of Spades
  • Base damage increased to 80/110/140/170/200 from 20/40/60/80/100
  • Now scales off of only bonus damage rather than all damage
  • Now deals 75% bonus damage if Mace of Spades only hits 1 target
  • Health cost reduced to 20/25/30/35/40 from 30/35/40/45/50
  • The main target of Mace of Spades now generates shield for Mordekaiser
All in all, this is a pretty good buff. The damage is comparable to what he did previously, but it gets maxed faster.

With an AP build it's still pretty ignorable. I ignore it until W and E are maxed.

As AD though, it becomes a really powerful nuke against a single target. Hit it and watch their health drop! Problem is that with more than one target the damage is hardly significant. Good for blasting through creep waves but not really for anything else. It needs a little something extra for multiple targets. I think making it apply on-hit effects to the extra targets would be a nice bonus.

Quote:
Creeping Death
  • Base damage increased to 24/38/52/66/80 from 16/32/48/64/80
  • Ability power ratio increased to 0.2 from 0.15
  • Increased missile travel speed when casting Creeping Death on an ally
Definitely a buff.

With an AP build this becomes pretty significant. It does 1.2 of your AP over the duration, which can really punish anyone trying to fight you. I've had a lot of fun with the increased damage and travel speed, putting this on initiators and watching the enemies slowly die while the rest of us get there

Quote:
Siphon of Destruction
  • Damage reduced to 65/105/145/185/225 from 85/110/155/200/245
  • Ability power ratio increased to 0.6 from 0.4
  • Base shield generation reduced to 1/2/3/4/5 from 6/9/12/15/18
A slight nerf to damage, but significant nerf to shield generation. Pretty meh unless you build AP.

If you do, though, it's still your staple ability. The increased ratio gives it a stronger nuke effect overall, and increased shield generation through damage means you'll still fill your shied with this skill.

Much stronger for AP builds, weaker for everything else

Quote:
Children of the Grave
  • Now steals 24/29/34% of the target's maximum health over the duration up from 24/28/32%
  • Now deals half damage to the target initially and half damage over time
  • Duration increased to 10 seconds from 8
  • Total ability power ratio over the duration increased to 0.04 from 0.016
  • Fixed a bug where Children of the Grave was improperly blocked by Black Shield
  • Mordekaiser now gains 20% of the pet's Ability Power, reduced from 25%
  • Mordekaiser now gains 20% of the pet's Attack Damage, reduced from 25%
This one...I don't think works quite as well. The burst damage and heal is definitely a bonus, but the DoT is pretty ineffective. 17% of their health up front (yay!), 1.7% every second for 10 seconds (boo!). They need to do something with it. Either shorten the duration to 5 seconds doing 3.4% each second, or lower the overall damage, but have it all be front-loaded while giving a 10 second debuff during which the ghost will occur

Quote:
Children of the Grave Pet
  • The pet now gains 75% of Mordekaiser's ability power and damage at all 3 ranks and the ratio itself no longer increases with Mordekaiser's total ability power
  • Pet health bonus reduced to 15% from 50%
  • Fixed a bug where the pet was not generating shield for Mordekaiser when hitting inhibitors
Slight nerf to damage, big nerf to health. It can't really tank towers as well as it used to, but getting a carry as a ghost can still ace the enemy team.

I don't know if it's intended or not, but it looks like the pet's damage is just the 75% it gets from Morde, and not it's damage + 75% of yours.

Either way, damage isn't quite as good, health is a good deal lower. But when built AP, Morde doesn't have to rely on the pet nearly as much. It just becomes a nice little bonus that can still turn the tide of battle for you.

Quote:

Iron Man
  • Shield generation increased to 30% from 25%
Buff. No question.

Summary

Morde is as strong as ever with this patch. He can do signficant damage when built AP, and with a little health he's just as surivivable. I've been able to stand toe to toe with a fed Xin with only a slivir of health left. Still died of course, but it took him much longer than it should have to kill me, cause I just kept getting shield though Creeping Death and Siphon. Every success story since the patch has likely been with an AP/HP build. Haunting Guise, Ryalis, and Abyssal Scepter are going to be your core items. Health and damage all at once

AD Morde needs help though. His Q is his only useful skill, while W and E are pretty much ignorable.

The damage on his ult needs some work, and maybe the ghost needs a little tweaking, but all in all, he's just as good as before.

X Avatar X

11-03-2010

Maybe if you play him like **** he is just as crappy as he was when you played that crappy build on him prenerf.

However, for those of us who didn't play him like ****, it was a nerf.

NJ Fury S

11-03-2010

i disagree......now listen carefully YOU CANT BUILD HIM LIKE YOU USED TO AND EXPECT THE SAME RESULTS....got it?
i never EVER used to use AP items on him what so ever why? because his ratios were terrible (still kinda are) and gold was better spent on survive plus CDR to just spam skills and wait for ghost.

Now you MUST build AP on him to make his damage slightly higher than pre nerf/buff but you sacrifice some survive for it. They are trying to get his focus away from a walking wall of Health Armor and MR which can only do real dmg when his ghost is used and they are trying to better rope him into a role as a melee caster which is fine by me BUT......his ultimate BLOWS in its current state and it needs tweaking buffing.

tabas1

11-03-2010

I miss being able to tank well with mord
The siphon nerf is what hurt the most. WAYYY less of his shield is made, and the damage got hit too. It's laughable early game.