Is anyone else's dominion matchmaking really streaky?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PCQWLUNF

03-19-2013

It seems like I lose about 13/15 games against people that are clearly a league above me. Then I'll win about as many in a huge streak, only some of which I feel like I'm strongly contributing to, which puts me back into "I can't do anything" range.

This seems to happen way more frequently than should be possible with something resembling a fair game in most games. I mean, you could say something like tilt, but I'm only 1/5 of the team.

DiscworldDeath

03-19-2013

It's called confirmation bias. You only look for the data when you sense a pattern, and don't see all the false-patterns when you have nothing making you look for them.

Also, SR leagues have very little to do with Dominion skill, and nothing with Dominion matchmaking. Just like someone can be Diamond 1 in SR Ranked, but their Normal Elo is 1,400 because they hadn't played it in a long while, so if they go into a custom they'll stomp.

Warmeat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaria View Post
It seems like I lose about 13/15 games against people that are clearly a league above me. Then I'll win about as many in a huge streak, only some of which I feel like I'm strongly contributing to, which puts me back into "I can't do anything" range.

This seems to happen way more frequently than should be possible with something resembling a fair game in most games. I mean, you could say something like tilt, but I'm only 1/5 of the team.
for me its more like i win 7 or 8 in a row then all of a sudden but put with guys trolling free champions making statements like i havnt played this in months

radicalratx

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaria View Post

Streaks happen a lot in dominion in mid Elo because of the low player pool. Check your match wait timers. If you get matches quickly, you'll probably play against people your level. If it takes a while, it means the system has to continually expand the "allowable rating difference" so you can get a match in a reasonable timeframe. It all depends on who is queuing at a certain time.

For me, at high Elo, during the day I mostly play with people I've never heard of before because those that I usually get matched with (most of the bigger names on this forum and DD) play only at night.

Chances are, if you are playing with those below you, you can carry different teams to victory, and you feel like you contributed greatly. Your personal rating slowly increases, maybe until a point where the system matches you with people much higher than your "true skill." Then maybe your team can't carry you, and you start losing till your rating normalizes. It should all even out with time, but I have a feeling its Dom's relatively small playerbase that keeps it from working well all the time.