A Solo'ers Guide to Solo Queues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calexisana

07-14-2010

Introduction:

Ever since I started playing this game I have been queuing up solo. I had approx, 400 wins and was +100 W/L, take that how you may. This was before bans, and separate premade brackets too, so one could argue it was more difficult to raise ELO before S1.

Was I high ELO? I have no way of knowing, but what I do know is that I routinely sat in 20 minute Qs and played against top players in 3v3 and 5v5, most of which can be found on the council and the first page of the ladder rankings.

The point of all this is simply to demonstrate that I'm not a noob and I might be able to help you! Onward fellow solo Q'ers

Match making, ELO, and You:

You will be playing with people who are BETTER and WORSE than you, especially early on. If you click on any of the QQ threads in the forum most of them go like this:

"I played 4 games, they all had bads in them."

Duh. The Elo system takes a long time to correct itself, 4 games is nothing. Do not expect to be playing with people at your level until you've played closer to 400 games.

Contrary to popular belief Elo does not attempt to move you to a 1:1 WL ratio. It simply rates you, and matches you up accordingly.

Attitude:

Solo queuing is very much an exercise in focusing on what you can and cannot control. The very nature of solo queue indicates you have marginally less control than if you had queued up in a 5 man premade.

Just because someone is feeding or appears to be "bad" does not mean MM or Elo is flawed. This person could be having a bad game, let's face it, we all do. They could be in a tough lane, they could be getting unlucky. This is irrelevant as you cannot control (generally) how well they play.

You should instead focus on what you can be doing better. You could be last hitting better, you could be doing this, that, or the other thing. In the end you can control you and you alone.

You may say that in the end it doesn't matter how well you play because you'll only get paired with bads who bring you down. Well... to some extent this is true, there is a "randomness" factor of players who aren't focusing or trying particularly hard. The point is (as mentioned above in Elo) that EVENTUALLY you will play out of this bracket assuming you are as good as you think you are, it simply takes many games.

Therefore, do not get hung up on one bad game, or even 30 bad games for that matter. Focus on you, get better, and eventually it will pay off. Think of it like this: If you are NEVER the reason for a loss (honestly) then EVENTUALLY you will begin playing with better and better players.

The Game:

Ok so all that mentality stuff is out of the way, what champs to play... My suggestion is familiarize yourself with the champions that don't suck. We could argue all day over who is slightly better than who and so on, go to a tier list if you want to do that. The fact is that right now champions like:

Ezreal
Kayle
Shaco
Shen
Annie

are simply better than

Veigar
Evelynn
Teemo

Personally I like to go to a tier list (love them or hate them) and read up on the most obviously great champions (Shen let's say) and play them first. One can never go wrong choosing "OP" champions. The fact is that doing so will give you the best chance of winning.

Furthermore, learn to play a tank, a carry, and a support. In order to give yourself a shot at winning you will have to be able to round out a team. Personally I can play Shen/Amumu/Nasus/Kayle/Jax/Shaco/Annie at a level that actually makes me useful. I'm not claiming to be the best or even proficient on any of these, I can simply play them well enough. In my opinion it's better to play a tank *kinda* well then to leave your team tankless.

Do not come complaining to me that you played Ryze in a solo Q and lost because of a feeder. Let's be honest, you may very well have lost if they were playing T1 champs and your team was not, regardless of feeding.

Runes/Masteries:

Generic is good, get 2 standard rune sets. I have one for physical carries, and one for casters. They include:

Arp
Dodge
MR/lvl
HP quints

Magic pen
Dodge OR HP/lvl
Flat CDR
HP quints

It's easy and straightforward. You may argue that there are better sets, but these are generic and do well on more or less every champion available.

The Bans:

Bans go 1/2/1 and are communal (banned for everyone). The picks then BEGIN with the team who did not ban last. What does this mean? If you are proficient with a champion that is often banned and you know you will pick first, don't ban it, put the pressure on the other team to do it.

For example I play Soraka if I can, if I know I will get first pick I will ban the champions I know will greatly benefit the other team OTHER than Soraka. Thus if they do not ban my "must ban" champ, I get it and am already off to a great start, as picks are exclusive.

The Game:

Don't be a jerk. If someones dies or has a stupid item build, don't antagonize them. What is that going to accomplish? It's going to make the entire team worse and you've instantly become as much a problem as the person who has no idea what they're doing.

Be a leader, get people to come together, control neutrals. I know, you can't because bads don't do this. Well, if you always attempt to do this you will succeed sometimes, which is better than not attempting it and failing all the time.

This post isn't about ALWAYS winning, it's about giving you the best odds to win.

EDIT: In the interest of this put to practice here's my basic solo stats thus far.

Rating: 1446
Record: 9 - 1
Champion breakdown:

Jax -> 4W 1L
Ezreal -> 3W 0L
Kayle -> 1W 0L
Shaco -> 1W 0L

My own SOLO queue tier list

I'm not putting everything in here because quite simply I haven't played every champion enough to pass judgment. I feel however this gives a reasonable idea of where to start.

Tanks:

Pick it or ban it: Shen
Great and likely available: Amumu, Nasus

Ranged physical:

Pick it or ban it:
Great and likely available: Ashe, Ezreal, Sivir, Tristana

Melee:

Pick it or ban it: Shaco
Great and likely available: Jax, Udyr, Warwick, Mordekaiser

Caster:

Pick it or ban it: Soraka, Kayle, Janna, Heimerdinger
Great and likely available: Annie, Anivia, Taric

Notes:

- This is not a tournament list, obviously. Champs like Mord require tons of farm which top level teams won't allow, but you can easily get away with in solo Q.
- Healing is still great, Kayle is underrated in solo Q imo
- I feel that Amumu having an amazing ult makes him more or less the tank to get assuming Shen is banned.
- In order to be a tank I feel a champ must have some sort of major reason to "pull aggro" and some sort of defensive ability. Champs like Mord are beefy but are really more in the push category.
- Ranged carries don't get auto banned, one might but in the end none of them are impossible to counter unless fed. Do not feed the carry.
- When choosing champs keep the power curve in mind as well as the type of comp you are running. Push comps still work in solo Q kinda.

iisoloii

07-14-2010

Didnt read it all cause the logic of elo and solo qing doesnt go in hand any way you look at it its luck based, explain why people have huge winning and losing streaks i my self would normaly have 15 win and 15 losing streak games. solo q mm is broken

Asphyxious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2010

Excellent post, full of great advice. Thanks for the read!

gosp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-14-2010

Thank you. I'm getting tired of people complaining that nublets are bringing them down.

Calexisana

07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisoloii View Post
Didnt read it all cause the logic of elo and solo qing doesnt go in hand any way you look at it its luck based, explain why people have huge winning and losing streaks i my self would normaly have 15 win and 15 losing streak games. solo q mm is broken
If this was the case then you would not see the top players at the top. Luck is a part of it, I acknowledged this. But what you've said is that it is ALL luck.

Furthermore your concept of "huge" is simply not huge. 15 game streaks aren't so huge when you think of how many games are played total. Since you said yourself that you didn't read it, you have missed the points that have been made.

Think of things like this: If I were to randomly assign you a team and your job is to build a bridge faster than another team, you would sometimes lose and sometimes win. If however you are an engineer proficient in the art of bridge building, you would expect to win more often and EVENTUALLY you would end up being put into a team of only other engineers.

The transition from high school to college is surprisingly similar to transitioning from low to high Elo in LoL.

goldemerald

07-14-2010

Also remember, it's the carry (or soraka) and his *ahem* inferiors.

GamBino826

07-14-2010

Good guide, what you said is basically what most solo que people need to keep in mind.

Synergy3

07-14-2010

+1 I didn't read because I'm lazy, but any guide with an intro is good enough for me.

Oracle

07-14-2010

Fantastic post! Hope to see you on the top Solo Q ladder soon. Let's play a game together sometime!

Struz

07-14-2010

Good read, I agree with most points.