LCS Competition Ruling: Denial of Service Attacks Hexo

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ansaa

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annaire View Post
;D
I think you can stop bumping this now. Please?

Bolby

04-08-2013

I'm just curious why an action like this even gets a warning. This action is complete tampering in the literal sense. This is clear and decisive of any boundary crossing if I saw one.

SublimeIbanez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

Please, just type it right. DDoS, not DoS.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeIbanez View Post
Please, just type it right. DDoS, not DoS.
There is a difference between them, so people should use the proper one based off the situation.

Trazier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

Now tell everyone the difference between 'denial of service' and 'distributed denial of service'.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazier View Post
Now tell everyone the difference between 'denial of service' and 'distributed denial of service'.
DoS: Denial of Service attack.

Originated from a single source, to a target, typically a single target.

Let's say we were playing Torchlight II, a game that uses P2P for connecting people. This means that when you create a multiplayer game, and others join, they are directly connecting to you. Let's say you didn't want someone in that game, and they refused to leave, and you (for some reason) couldn't kick them.

You could simply tab out, open a Command Prompt and use the command netstat. It would display the address, incoming and outgoing, of systems connected to you. You then could take that persons address, and initiation a DoS against them, using just your system or another in the home. It would be possible for you to just drop them from the game that way.

This assuming you have enough bandwidth, and system resources.

DDoS: Distributed Denial of Service attack.

These are an attacks on a single target from multiple systems, either geographically together or separated. In the case of larger scale Bot Nets, you can literally have thousands of systems attacking a single target.

These are far more successful at bringing down the target, and are often extremely difficult to track, because of the resources being used and how they are used. As most systems in a Bot Net don't even know they are part of it, as it is typically introduced and used due to malicious software.

Annaire

04-09-2013

;D

Torwulf

04-09-2013

Goddamnit Annaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolby View Post
I'm just curious why an action like this even gets a warning. This action is complete tampering in the literal sense. This is clear and decisive of any boundary crossing if I saw one.
Firstly, there was no proof that he actually did anything - in fact, there's quite good evidence to suggest that he didn't do anything. How could Hexo have swamped RobertXLee's network, as implied by the 'IP finding command', in such a way that his connection to Riot went down while his stream was completely unaffected? Also, I don't think you understand what literal means.

Annaire

04-14-2013

;D

Annaire

04-15-2013

;D