LCS Competition Ruling: Denial of Service Attacks Hexo

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MushroomDream

03-19-2013

OMG POPCORN tHREAD

Winterstride

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Education View Post
Circumstantial evidence is still evidence. Jesus you don't understand law, or proof.
The problem with circumstantial evidence is that is leaves room for reasonable doubt. This is why prosecutors don't like launching a case based solely on circumstantial evidence, there's a chance that they're wrong or there's some way to explain away the crime that will not result in a conviction.

Fioret

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minos157 View Post
It can't be proven, so he is warned for threatening to do it. Fair to me.

Nintendude said, "Hit it," that could've been directed at literally anything. I mean he could've been telling his bot lane to hit the red and accidentely hit shift enter (I've done it) or maybe they were talking about some hot chick and he was telling his team mate to hit it.

Or maybe you know he is just responding to that all caps thresh who says, "CAN THIS BE AN ALL CAPS GAME?" to which his use of, "Hit it," is simply to tell Thresh to hit the caps lock key which also can be seen since Thresh follows with, "ALREADY THERE." Basically that phrase is no where near evidence enough to give him any punishment at all. If we had the chat logs from the friendly side maybe it would show more. Also if they were in on it together (duo queuing to boot) wouldn't they have been on voice chat anyway? Why would he need to type hit it?

I agree with Riot on this one, there is no hard proof so dole out a warning for the threat to do it. Basically the next time he is caught even threatening to do it he will be banned so I think they did a good job with Hexo. I also think that given there is nothing more than a simple phrase that could be used in 1000 different contexts in this game by Nintendude that his non-punishment also fits perfectly.
Well good sir I raise you this;
If he did accidentally type "Hit it." in all, why did he have a capitilized first letter and a period? If he had the time to write that perfectly I'd say it was written calmly on purpose!!

Winterstride

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fioret View Post
If he did accidentally type "Hit it." in all, why did he have a capitilized first letter and a period? If he had the time to write that perfectly I'd say it was written calmly on purpose!!
But that doesn't prove intent, just an attention to captalization and punctuation.

볶음밥

03-19-2013

Deserves to be punished.

Minos157

03-19-2013

Quote:
I was raising a few reasons why he could type hit it into all chat. I didn't say that was what happened just that the fact that he typed it could have so many different meanings.

thanex

03-19-2013

If Riot doesn't think this is ban-worthy, that's fine.
Then unban every trash-talker that existed in this game.

Enough with the double-standards.

SqueezeMeGently

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitingpig View Post
Region: North America
Date: March 19, 2013
Subject: Denial of Service Attacks
GM: Sam Hexo Bouchard

Facts:
In light of recent evidence regarding denial of service (DoS) attacks on players on the North American server, we investigated allegations that Good Game University (GGU) General Manager Sam Hexo Bouchard has engaged in this prohibited behavior.

An example:
  • In a game last month, Hexo posted a message in all-chat implying that he was exploiting software to determine the IP address of a particular opponent, Robert RobertXLee Lee.
  • Fourteen seconds later, a teammate of Hexo responded with the chat message, Hit it.
  • A few seconds later, RobertXLee suffered a DoS attack which disconnected him from the game.
  • After repeatedly attempting to reconnect to the game, RobertXLee eventually was able to rejoin the game in progress, where he was prejudiced by a noticeable disadvantage in creep score and experience.
  • RobertXLee streamed the game live.
    • A video excerpt of the incident can be seen here; a longer excerpt can be seen here (at 9:07:28).
    • Screenshots are below.

For context on Hexos usual in-game behavior, his harassment rating is currently the worst of all LCS North American managers and players (including both starters and reserve players). No other North American pro player or manager has a higher harassment score.

Definition of DoS Attack:
A DoS attack (or a distributed denial-of-service (DDos) attack, which is a particular type of DoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer unavailable to its intended user. The tactics vary, but generally consist of the interruption of services of a host connected to the internet.

In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing a targeted computer to reset, consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service, or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Relevant Rules:
The Summoner's Code establishes the standards of behavior for all League of Legends players.

The League of Legends Terms of Use prohibits players from harassing, threatening or hacking/interfering with other players in the game.

Analysis:
There is very strong circumstantial evidence that Hexo has engaged in DoS activity against one or more LoL players. We will continue to monitor the situation and investigate allegations into this behavior, using all available internal and external data.

Any DoS activity represents a blatant and willful disregard of the letter and spirit of the Summoners Code and the League of Legends Terms of Use. Intentionally disconnecting a competitor from a game is the very definition of unsportsmanlike behavior and unfair play.

As an LCS team General Manager, Hexo has a responsibility to lead by example; the creation of even the appearance of being a DoS attacker is grossly inappropriate.

Ruling:
Hexo has violated the Summoners Code and the League of Legends Terms of Use by implicitly threatening to launch a DoS attack on another LoL player and may be guilty of the much more serious infraction of engaging in DoS attacks.

Penalties:
Hexo is hereby given a first and final warning regarding the issuance of threats of DoS attacks or the actual launching of DoS attacks. Any future such actions, or any confirmed past or future DoS attacks will result in a permanent account ban and corresponding competition penalties, as deemed appropriate by LCS.
Why not wait until you can actually do something other than issue a warning? This just makes you look ineffectual and incompetent. Was this some kind of PR move to deal with allegations?

You know, if you have GM's or some kind of system setup other than your crappy tribunal this guy would have been dealt with by now.

The Dealer

03-19-2013

bumb for justice

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2013

Quote:
He momentarily held his shift key and then hit the period after he finished typing before he clicked enter? SUCH ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!

It's not like some of us don't naturally type proper sentences...