Help Riot Help You: Crashing when Pinging

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Vinokuurr

03-19-2013

1) Have you experienced this bug?

--Yes, I have experienced this bug on many occasions. Probably over a dozen times since the Mac client came out.

2) How often to experience this bug? Every other bug?

--I have had no other bugs show up (that I've noticed). I fairly aware of the issue that causes it for me so I usually try to avoid it. (I.e. if I double target ping [the blue dot] somewhere on the minimap, my client will crash 100% of the time so I try to make sure I only hit it once)

3) What version of Mac OSX do you have?

4) What video card do you have? (About This Mac -> More Info)

--NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
5) Do you notice this bug being tied to any other behaviors while the pings are happening?

--No, it seems to occur regardless of what champion I select. Often I will be jungling and trying to target someone and issue the wrong ping so I reactively try to ping quickly and sometimes end up hitting the target ping twice which causes my client to crash and show the bugsplat.

Reset 1 2 3

03-19-2013

It also only seems to happen during ranked games...it just happened again and im reconnecting now...

psdjklgfuiob

03-19-2013

I havent experienced this bug, but I have had this problem where when i use one of the old pings (retreat and the other one) it moves my mouse to the edge of the screen

infinity2quared

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonetacoguy View Post
1. I have experienced this bug often.
2. Pretty much every time that I try to use smart ping.
3. 10.8.2
4. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
5. I think its mainly when I try to use the smart ping more than once in a row. I've tried to avoid pinging.

Ok I've copied and pasted the actual bug report I got into a word document, if you could tell what happened from that.
I also have this issue, with a 9400M 256MB.

Any time I try to ping twice in rapid succession, the game crashes. I'm careful to avoid doing this, but occasionally accidents happen.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-20-2013
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Thanks for the information guys. Based on the information it seems to be an issue specific to Macs using the nVidia 9400M, 320M, 330M so we'll look there. Super helpful as it explains why we were having trouble replicating the issue exactly in-house.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-20-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Even after acquiring this hardware we have not been able to recreate this bug even once. I have some additional questions:

NEW Mar 30:
6) Are you running through iLoL or the official installer located on our site?
6a) If running iLoL are you running in native or Wine mode?
7) Are you experiencing on PBE, LIVE or BOTH?

Reset 1 2 3

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
Greetings Summoners,

We've seen a couple reports of an issue that appears on Macs when multiple pings come up on the minimap at once. However, we're having trouble pinning down the exact cause.

1) Have you experienced this bug?
2) How often to experience this bug? Every other game?
3) What version of Mac OSX do you have?
5) Do you notice this bug being tied to any other behaviors while the pings are happening?
NEW Mar 30:
6) Are you running through iLoL or the official installer located on our site?
6a) If running iLoL are you running in native or Wine mode?
7) Are you experiencing on PBE, LIVE or BOTH?

Thanks!
1. I have experienced this bug often.*
2. Pretty much every time that I try to use smart ping.*
3. 10.8.2
4. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
5. I think its mainly when I try to use the smart ping more than once in a row. I've tried to avoid pinging.*
6. Official installer. This never seemed to happen with iLoL in native mode, although that was before smart ping was introduced.
7. It's on live for me, I can check out PBE later.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonetacoguy View Post
6. Official installer. This never seemed to happen with iLoL in native mode, although that was before smart ping was introduced.
7. It's on live for me, I can check out PBE later.
So that RiotBrentmeister doesn't have to sift through the entire thread and match up your 1-5 responses with your 6-7 ones, can you either edit your original post to include this, or copy/paste your original 1-5 answers into the followup post?

Liquid Fusion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2013

1) Have you experienced this bug? Yes
2) How often to experience this bug? Every other game? one time out of probably 40 games.
3) What version of Mac OSX do you have? 10.6.8
5) Do you notice this bug being tied to any other behaviors while the pings are happening? I was only spamming back ping on an enemy jungler when it happened
6) Are you running through iLoL or the official installer located on our site? yes
6a) If running iLoL are you running in native or Wine mode? I... dont know?
7) Are you experiencing on PBE, LIVE or BOTH? Live

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Wine N Cheese

03-21-2013

My game crashes every time I seem to want to ping more than once. Or I don't notice when it doesn't crash when I ping more than once. It usually happens when I'm fighting a champion and I need help and I want to ping it so I ping on screen, not mini-map, and I use the basic alt ping.

I am using the official installer.

Mac 10.6.8
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB