Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Howling Abyss now on PBE!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

03-15-2013

Quote:
RiotOtown:
Cool image! - the peaky roofs and angular stairs are definitely relevant to this look. Although we did try to stay away from the Gothic arches and such.

Oh! Mein Otown, you have never seen the glorious Imperial architecture before?

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only pretty artwork!

Ave Imperator.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

03-15-2013

Quote:
RiotOtown:
Hey guys - here's a super early shot from our explorations with pushing the depth on this map

Oh jeeze that looks outstanding. The depth, by the way, looks freaking gorgeous.

You all have really outdone yourselves. This is epic. Agh, I can't wait.

EDIT: Agh, and Kilmourz post beneath mine, that looks absolutely outstanding too.

Kilmourz

Senior Environment Artist

03-15-2013

Quote:
ShooopMedia:
Is there anyway to see a behind the scenes of this?
I have always been interested in seeing how Riot makes the maps, models, and animations (in-game and login screen).

We can't really show projects that are mid flight but we can show concepts and wips as projects approach for landing. Here's an early concept that gets some of the feel we were going for.

Rolihlahla

03-15-2013

Quote:
Beravin:
I agree with you for a few reasons, however: A) Riot makes a profit from champion sales, and this would not be fair to them. B) The more champions you have, the less chance you have of getting someone you really enjoy. C) It will not be much of an issue later, as the IP limit is going to be removed. With these in mind, I would rather not have this feature.

This a response to my old answer 2 pages back so feel free to find it if you truly support my idea of making aram include all champs currently available instead of just the ones you own and free week.

The point of aram is to not play your favourite champs, it is to play a random champ and try to be good with him, showing your familiarity of the champs in the game. Unfortunately, aram has nowadays become a get an op team comp or quit type thing in custom. But even after making an actual queue for aram, do you think people wont quit at champ select if they dont get who they want? Unless there was a 30 min penalty on the first dodge, i highly doubt that people wont mind waiting 5 min. Also, riot doesnt prioritize profit over quality of content, look at their efforts on art reworks and finally giving skins to skinless champs.

RiotOtown

Senior Environment Artist

03-15-2013

Quote:
RiotOtown:
Hey guys - here's a super early shot from our explorations with pushing the depth on this map

Forgot to add this one - exploring how some of these shapes fog out.

DonnFirinne

03-15-2013

Quote:
Tormound:
Will champion selection be truly random? Because I played a bunch of games where the teams were SERIOUSLY stacked for one team.

I think you're confusing "random" with "balanced." ARAM should never be required to have "balance" of champion strength because that isn't truly random. There's also a whole argument about the power not lying with the champion, but with the implementation of the champion, but this isn't the thread for that discussion.

Steven Segal

03-15-2013

So will the bots be available on this map?

NotBuzzJack

03-15-2013

Quote:
RiotOtown:

Should we just ignore the double barrier?

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

03-15-2013

Quote:
RiotOtown:

Hahaha, who is it that has two barriers (NotBuzzJack said it first!)? Ah, good times. Still amazing to see the process. Thanks for sharing all these with us!

What is a Wolf

03-15-2013

Quote:
Brackhar:
That's the same intuition we had, but when we looked at the data it wasn't actually backed up. I was pretty surprised at that myself.

I won't lie, right after seeing this, I'm ready to make a brand new account and only buy 30 or so champions that are really good in this map (pick any tier list's top champs).

For now it's not backed up with data because it isn't a format yet, but you bet these type of accounts are going to start popping up as soon as the map goes live.

My suggestion would be making ALL the champions available to everyone at anytime while playing aram in this map, like many people here suggested, though that might be a turn down for people who don't enjoy certain champs. Can any rioters comment on the matter?